Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What think you of the ad?
Creepy
17.65%
Freedom of expression
82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

The Lord's Prayer

Old Nov 23rd 2015, 8:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lord's Prayer

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They did them a favour really. Now the "PC gone mad" brigade will watch this in droves.
I wish political correctness had been invented when Mr. Angry used to call into Radio One in the afternoons. It would have given his rants a far more sinister and interesting perspective.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
If you pay (exorbitant amounts of money) to go to the cinema, I for one do not want to watch that type of thing.
How much does it cost to go to the cinemas in Ontario?

We stopped going decades ago because of the overwhelming stink of popcorn.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It's not PC gone mad.. If you pay (exorbitant amounts of money) to go to the cinema, I for one do not want to watch that type of thing. I love trailers- more trailers but certainly nothing that I am a captive audience for. At least you can shut the doors on a Jehovah's Witness politely of course.

Was this for all ages? Because my level of feeling would go up quite significantly if I thought this would be aimed at my children...
Yes I can see the captive audience thing to a point, maybe I'm too easy going, I don't tend to get offended about much, I don't see a problem with it.

Although I agree with what Shard said, the ad could have been more upbeat, if they are trying to win over church goers.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 12:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Probably less offensive than the ten or so mobile phone and car adverts that DCM likes to screen ahead of a film instead of trailers these days and certainly less offensive than the Sainsbury's advert set in the WWI trenches they were screening last Christmas in order to flog more turkeys and biscuits.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 12:37 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How much does it cost to go to the cinemas in Ontario?
VIP is $20.

I think regular is $13.

I get Cinema points using my Scotiabank debit card so those usually pay for me.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 12:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
...certainly less offensive than the Sainsbury's advert set in the WWI trenches they were screening last Christmas in order to flog more turkeys and biscuits.
You mean the ad that helped raise over £7m for The British Legion, beating the previous year's total raised?

You can see how offended the legion was here.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 1:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You mean the ad that helped raise over £7m for The British Legion, beating the previous year's total raised?

You can see how offended the legion was here.
I'm sure the RBL was very pleased with the extra money in its coffers. It didn't stop the entire audience groaning with dismay when the Sainsbury's logo appeared at the end of the advert providing corporate sponsorship for trench warfare.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 1:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the RBL was very pleased with the extra money in its coffers. It didn't stop the entire audience groaning with dismay when the Sainsbury's logo appeared at the end of the advert.
How did the number of groans compare with the special fund raising chocolate being sold at the rate of 5000 per hour?

It's not like the logo encouraged folk to shop at Sainsburys. It was simply their name.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How did the number of groans compare with the special fund raising chocolate being sold at the rate of 5000 per hour?
5000 per hour? That's a pretty lousy return for the RBL. How much they were taking as profit? Why does Sainsbury's need to produce a special fundraising chocolate bar anyway? It made £24 billion in revenue last year. The advertising campaign alone probably cost more than the extra £500,000 raised. Just write a cheque.

It's not like the logo encouraged folk to shop at Sainsburys. It was simply their name.
Was this special chocolate bar available elsewhere then?
Old Nov 24th 2015, 1:48 am
Oscar nominated

The advertising campaign alone probably cost more than the extra £500,000 raised. Just write a cheque.
I imagine the awareness raised contributes to the millions raised each year.

Was this special chocolate bar available elsewhere then?
No idea. I thought I read that Sainsburys produced it.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 3:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You could say that about all forms of commercial advertising.
Not really all. The Advertising Standards Authority has powers to deal with misleading adverts, such as the one in question.

The idea of the C of E advertising prayer is just a rather pathetic refection of the fact that they have recently realised that they are a dying species.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 4:55 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not really all. The Advertising Standards Authority has powers to deal with misleading adverts, such as the one in question.

The idea of the C of E advertising prayer is just a rather pathetic refection of the fact that they have recently realised that they are a dying species.
Precisely. A bit like their "Alpha courses" to hoodwink the troubled into their flock. Mind you, I suppose at least the intention is good.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:37 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Precisely. A bit like their "Alpha courses" to hoodwink the troubled into their flock. Mind you, I suppose at least the intention is good.
If it keeps them out tof the grasp of the fundies it's probably worth it.

I read an internet article commenting on the number of deaths cause by the Christian far right in the USA as compared to muslim terrorists, kicking myself for not verifying it.

I think that's your real, sinister fifth column right there. Just look at the Republican primaries....
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:02 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
If it keeps them out tof the grasp of the fundies it's probably worth it.
What an odd remark.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:15 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

What an odd remark.
Guess I'm just biased having lived with one....