Wikiposts
View Poll Results: What think you of the ad?
Creepy
17.65%
Freedom of expression
82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

The Lord's Prayer

Old Nov 22nd 2015, 10:55 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lord's Prayer

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ugh I'm glad they banned it. It doesn't offend me, but neither do I want to be preached at....

Still not as bad as Operation Christmas Child aka Samaritans Purse aka raging xenophobe and homophobe Graham something or other..
Agree with this. Although I did find the ad creepy and somewhat insidious.

The melancholy music, the man at the graveside, responders at an accident, a sullen bishop, and somewhat bizarrely, veiled women in a crypt of some sort. The message was, life is hard, praying will help you, you need God. Some brazen emotional blackmail, but what's new.

I also found the scene of the young confused kids doing their prayers at school rather depressing. Young children being indoctrinated well before they have the critical abilities to realise the sham. It smacks of such desperation by the Church.

If the ad was perhaps more upbeat, a Harlem choir singing, climbers saying a prayer before a ascent or something positive, it would be less creepy IMO. It's the reliance on fear rather than celebration of joy that makes me despise this ad.

As for playing it in cinemas...no, definitely not. Captive audience, other faiths, non-faiths, the advertising company has a perfectly reasonable and sensible policy towards this type of advertising. It's nothing to do with Christmas and the fact that the Church is now trying to leverage that argument to rationalise its special privilege shows just how our of touch they are.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:11 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the cinemas. Next thing they'll be running al-quaida adverts in there...
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a ban you idiots. It's a private business acting in it's own self-interest.

Is everyone around here a ****ing commie now?
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Agree with this. Although I did find the ad creepy and somewhat insidious.

The melancholy music, the man at the graveside, responders at an accident, a sullen bishop, and somewhat bizarrely, veiled women in a crypt of some sort. The message was, life is hard, praying will help you, you need God. Some brazen emotional blackmail, but what's new.

I also found the scene of the young confused kids doing their prayers at school rather depressing. Young children being indoctrinated well before they have the critical abilities to realise the sham. It smacks of such desperation by the Church.

If the ad was perhaps more upbeat, a Harlem choir singing, climbers saying a prayer before a ascent or something positive, it would be less creepy IMO. It's the reliance on fear rather than celebration of joy that makes me despise this ad.

As for playing it in cinemas...no, definitely not. Captive audience, other faiths, non-faiths, the advertising company has a perfectly reasonable and sensible policy towards this type of advertising. It's nothing to do with Christmas and the fact that the Church is now trying to leverage that argument to rationalise its special privilege shows just how our of touch they are.
You watched it? FFS, why I pray?
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:14 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's not a ban you idiots. It's a private business acting in it's own self-interest.

Is everyone around here a ****ing commie now?
Alright... Keep calm
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Politcal correctness at its most absurd.

Im not particualry religious, but I dont see how it would be offensive to anyone, if it is, then i think said individual needs to get a life, everyone has a free choice, its just an advert. Its no different to a party political broadcast! probably less offensive!

Its just the church trying to encourage more people into the church at the most religious time of year. (even though many people dont see Christmas as that nowadays) hence the reason for the advert from the church of England.

Very silly, and sadly just goes to show how absurd political correctness ultimately rules these days.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Nov 23rd 2015 at 5:16 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:17 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Dunno. I'd say it's political correctness when it's a public body, but when it's a commercial organisation turning down advertising revenue I think you can only call it a business decision.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:20 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

Im not particualry religious, but I dont see how it would be offensive to anyone, if it is, then i think said individual needs to get a life, everyone has a free choice, its just an advert.

Its just the church trying to encourage more people into the church at the most religious time of year. (even though many people dont see Christmas as that nowadays) hence the reason for the advert from the church of England.

Very silly, and sadly just goes to show how absurd political correctness ultimately rules these days.
It's not PC gone mad.. If you pay (exorbitant amounts of money) to go to the cinema, I for one do not want to watch that type of thing. I love trailers- more trailers but certainly nothing that I am a captive audience for. At least you can shut the doors on a Jehovah's Witness politely of course.

Was this for all ages? Because my level of feeling would go up quite significantly if I thought this would be aimed at my children...
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

All religions are bullshit in equal amounts.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:32 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

It's not PC gone mad.. If you pay (exorbitant amounts of money) to go to the cinema, I for one do not want to watch that type of thing. I love trailers- more trailers but certainly nothing that I am a captive audience for. At least you can shut the doors on a Jehovah's Witness politely of course.

Was this for all ages? Because my level of feeling would go up quite significantly if I thought this would be aimed at my children...
Trailers of new movies are my favourite part.

Although they've started shoving in VIP cinemas now in Toronto where it's over 19's only and there is booze served whilst you sit in an extra wide and comfy seat. A real taste of the high life.....and a nice break from Hooters.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:33 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
All religions are bullshit in equal amounts.
You could say that about all forms of commercial advertising.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 5:38 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by JamesM
Trailers of new movies are my favourite part.
Me too, although I always think Ooh I'm definitely going to see that, and never do!
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Showings of Star Wars. Many adults like it of course but I think it probably a younger audience than, say, Bridge of Spies.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:44 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You watched it? FFS, why I pray?
Twice.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 7:25 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

They did them a favour really. Now the "PC gone mad" brigade will watch this in droves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.