British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Looking for a guide to Canadian Politics (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/looking-guide-canadian-politics-701090/)

jimf Jan 18th 2011 9:20 am

Re: Looking for a guide to Canadian Politics

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9111391)
Err, no. He's the person that effectively pulled the Conservative Party apart by forming Reform and taking all the old Tory voters in the west out of the old Conservative Party.

jimf blaming the Liberals for "divide and conquer" is just silly.

I used the phrase divide and rule. Obviously Manning separated and then rebuilt the conservative party but its naive to suppose that was done in isolation from what the liberals were up to. The liberals would be doing all they could to stretch and break up the cohesiveness of the opposition by doing things that might appeal to one wing of the party but be unacceptable to the other.

Oink Jan 18th 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9111375)
Thats exactly what a minority government is... a coalition of parties none of which has a majority on its own:confused:

Yes, the Tories might have the largest number of seats in the H.of C. but they do not have an overall majority and thus have to rely on opportunistic lesser parties for support. Governments such as these are not considered to be very credible or honorable. As in the collaborator Ramsey MacDonald, who was technically the first Labour Prime Minister but who in fact was a traitorous back-stabbing cad and so anyone with an ounce of decency and principle considers Capt. Attlee as our first and proper Labour PM.

jimf Jan 18th 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9111375)
Thats exactly what a minority government is... a coalition of parties none of which has a majority on its own:confused:

No - if the UK conservatives had gone it alone that would have been a minority government. By forming a coalition with the liberals and including them in the government the government is a majority government.

JonboyE Jan 18th 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mrvp (Post 9108780)
Hi,

I'm looking for a few pointers towards Canadian Politics (as in who sits where and general policies). I have an okay understanding on the UK political scene, and from that I'm figuring out my opportunities are somewhat limited in the field in which I currently work so I'm looking abroad.

I've just got a feeling from someone's post in another thread that I need to open my eyes a bit and get an understanding of Stephen Harper and the Conservatives policies (as it seems that's the direction in which things are heading in Canada). As I'm understanding it the Conservatives have gradually inched towards a minority government since 2000 and now have about 40% of the house (with the Liberals 2nd on a 25% share)?

Also have I understood this correctly that general elections (federal) are held every two years?

I'm just looking for a few pointers so that I can do a bit of further reading (I like to know what I may be getting myself into, before I stick my foot in it).

Thanks,

Incidentally, as someone mentioned in the thread linked to, most things that matter to people are administered at the provincial level. Health, education and social services are all provincial responsibilities.

If you want to be involved in real decisions that affect people's lives then look to the provincial governments.

jimf Jan 18th 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9111421)
Incidentally, as someone mentioned in the thread linked to, most things that matter to people are administered at the provincial level. Health, education and social services are all provincial responsibilities.

If you want to be involved in real decisions that affect people's lives then look to the provincial governments.

So federal sales and income tax doesn't really affect people?

mrvp Jan 18th 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9111408)
Not quite. Manning was the leader of the Reform Party - essentially a Western Canadian populist far right party. This party morphed into the Canadian Alliance (the suggested title of Canadian Reform Alliance Party never stuck) and Stockwell Day became leader.

Harper became leader after the hapless Day failed in a general election and merged the Canadian Alliance and the more centrist Progressive Conservatives into the present Conservative Party.

Some now speculate that as the right merged to oust the Liberals, the left may need to merge to get back into Government.

This is kind of what I was getting at - as I was reading up on the Unite the Right Movement. All I meant was that by Manning pushing Reform it made it clear that individually neither Reform or PC would beat the Liberals.

Thanks all for the advice this has been very helpful just to start to get my head around this (I want to look before I leap as my job does rely somewhat on public sector funding).

JonBoyE - just out of interest as you mentioned it on the other thread, are the Conservatives really running the largest budget deficit in history? (as in the UK this was reported as a budget surplus, as a result of the cuts during the 1990's).

Oink Jan 18th 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 9111432)
So federal sales and income tax doesn't really affect people?

The rosy glow of delusional frontierism. "Gawd darn it, that big ole government back east ain't going to tell us nuttin anyhow." ;)

Edited to note, I'll get my coat for the poor attempt at an accent.

jimf Jan 18th 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9111415)
Yes, the Tories might have the largest number of seats in the H.of C. but they do not have an overall majority and thus have to rely on opportunistic lesser parties for support. Governments such as these are not considered to be very credible or honorable. As in the collaborator Ramsey MacDonald, who was technically the first Labour Prime Minister but who in fact was a traitorous back-stabbing cad and so anyone with an ounce of decency and principle considers Capt. Attlee as our first and proper Labour PM.

Ah yes those large majority governments of 1983, 1987 and 1997, 2001 they were truly a golden age for honourable government.

Oink Jan 18th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 9111450)
Ah yes those large majority governments of 1983, 1987 and 1997, 2001 they were truly a golden age for honourable government.

I'm speaking from a party unity perspective not the public's. Realpolitik aside, you have to sell your soul to participate in coalition government, as Mr. Clegg is finding out. Just ask Doctor Faustus.

jimf Jan 18th 2011 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9111464)
I'm speaking from a party unity perspective not the public's. Realpolitik aside, you have to sell your soul to participate in coalition government, as Mr. Clegg is finding out. Just ask Doctor Faustus.

You believe politicians have souls? How quaint.

Oink Jan 18th 2011 9:52 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 9111466)
You believe politicians have souls? How quaint.

Yes, all politicians are aliens from Jupiter, yes that's it. How convenient.

Novocastrian Jan 18th 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 9111409)
I used the phrase divide and rule. Obviously Manning separated and then rebuilt the conservative party

Nonsense.

Manning had nothing to do with rebuilding the present CP. That was an unholy business between Harper and Mackay.

jimf Jan 18th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9111478)
Nonsense.

Manning had nothing to do with rebuilding the present CP. That was an unholy business between Harper and Mackay.

Okay Manning was kicked out as leader before it happened but he was trying to achieve the same thing.

Novocastrian Jan 18th 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 9111540)
Okay Manning was kicked out as leader before it happened but he was trying to achieve the same thing.

Oh, I see. You and Preston are on speaking terms then?

jimf Jan 18th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9111555)
Oh, I see. You and Preston are on speaking terms then?

That's a curious inference. I think you'll find his initiatives to reunite moderate right of centre parties is a matter of public record.