Long Weekend

Old May 19th 2015, 9:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Weekend

Originally Posted by caretaker
It was hard enough finding that one; the fact is the service industry (hotels especially) are hard on their employees not only because of management but because the customer base contains an element that considers hotel staff to be almost sub-human and they will be nasty and insulting just because they've paid x$ for lodging and think that entitles them to treat hotel employees like their slaves. At least waiters, waitresses, porters etc get tips but clerks and housekeeping who make the least money in the building get the most abuse and disgusting messes with little reward but minimal wages. A salesman started ragging on me in the elevator when I was a young porter and I put him right up against the wall in fear for his life; I'm lucky he didn't report it or I would have been fired but I hope I changed his thinking a bit.
They say you can tell a lot about a persons character by the way they treat service staff. Good anecdote!
Old May 19th 2015, 9:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
They say you can tell a lot about a persons character by the way they treat service staff. Good anecdote!
<makes mental note not to ride in elevators with caretaker>
Old May 19th 2015, 9:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<makes mental note not to ride in elevators with caretaker>
Oh come on, we'd have our arms around each other, we'd be singing....
Old May 19th 2015, 9:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on, we'd have our arms around each other, we'd be singing....
D'you know, I think you're right.
Old May 19th 2015, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked summers in hotels in the UK while at university ............ we're both perfectly aware of the way in which "guests" treat staff, and also came across mis-treatment of underlings by so-called superiors

I used to always leave a tip for the room maids on the last morning, then realised that we may actually have had a different maid each day of our stay. So now I make a point of leaving a $5 tip with a thank you note every morning of a stay in a hotel.

I'm always gobsmacked at how people behave towards service staff, whether that be in hotels, cafes, restaurants, etc

I've been very close to grabbing a cell phone from someone's hand when he has been dealing with the bank clerk or barista with the cell stuck to his phone. Too busy to be polite!
Old May 19th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

3 17 year olds charged in North Van court this afternoon with the murder in Whistler, and a warrant issued for an 18 year old.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Having worked summers in hotels in the UK while at university ............ we're both perfectly aware of the way in which "guests" treat staff, and also came across mis-treatment of underlings by so-called superiors

I used to always leave a tip for the room maids on the last morning, then realised that we may actually have had a different maid each day of our stay. So now I make a point of leaving a $5 tip with a thank you note every morning of a stay in a hotel.

I'm always gobsmacked at how people behave towards service staff, whether that be in hotels, cafes, restaurants, etc

I've been very close to grabbing a cell phone from someone's hand when he has been dealing with the bank clerk or barista with the cell stuck to his phone. Too busy to be polite!
If you're serving food, drinks or wiping down the bathroom, driving a bus or generally doing some sort of service job for around the minimum wage then the reality is, don't expect people to be that polite, at best you proably want to remain invisible. If you're really hung up on people being polite to you while you're at work then you need to get a decent job.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If you're serving food, drinks or wiping down the bathroom, driving a bus or generally doing some sort of service job for around the minimum wage then the reality is, don't expect people to be that polite, at best you proably want to remain invisible. If you're really hung up on people being polite to you while you're at work then you need to get a decent job.
What this says to.me is you are a hedonist who has lost perspective. We can fix that.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What this says to.me is you are a hedonist who has lost perspective. We can fix that.
I'm not purposely impolite to people in the service industry if they're putting in a decent enough effort but all this whining about politeness and respect, well you want that, get good qualifications and a high paying job where people have to be polite to you or you'll naff them up.
Old May 20th 2015, 12:09 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm not purposely impolite to people in the service industry if they're putting in a decent enough effort but all this whining about politeness and respect, well you want that, get good qualifications and a high paying job where people have to be polite to you or you'll naff them up.
No. Your degree doesn't get you respect - quality gets you respect.
Edit: You can have both.

Last edited by caretaker; May 20th 2015 at 12:11 am.
Old May 20th 2015, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I try to say please and thank you everyone ........

...... including the bus driver as I get off the bus, the waiter who serves me a meal, the hostess in a bar, the baristas in coffee shops, shop assistants, etc etc

THAT is the way I was raised, to always be polite to everyone, and to always say please and thank you.

It costs little to be polite, and you get much more in return

It's an ignorant old cuss who does not react that way

OR the BBP* as my f-i-l the pharmacist used to call them in private ...........

* short for B****y British Public
Old May 20th 2015, 4:15 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
that's great.

3 is a great highway, if a bit curly

Was there any snow on the high passes?
A very very small amount. It was a very enjoyable drive with very light caravan blockage. I saw a bear as well. I always take 5 going and 3 coming back. There was only 20 mins difference yesterday.
Old May 20th 2015, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I think so too.
Old May 20th 2015, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

No. Your degree doesn't get you respect - quality gets you respect.
Edit: You can have both.
And genuine respect is earned - not demanded, threatened (or imagined).

Last edited by JuneSpring; May 20th 2015 at 5:01 am.
Old May 20th 2015, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Londonuck
A very very small amount. It was a very enjoyable drive with very light caravan blockage. I saw a bear as well. I always take 5 going and 3 coming back. There was only 20 mins difference yesterday.

That sounds a great trip!

we had to go to Nelson in May 3 years ago ................ it was great going there, but on our return trip there was snow falling on Anarchist Mountain and in Manning Park.

There was more snow on Anarchist than there was 1 month later on the tops of Whistler and Blackcombe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.