Long Weekend

Old May 15th 2015, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long Weekend

Working?

Off?

Going somewhere?

Sitting at home and being lazy for 3 days drinking beer?

We are working, not looking forward to it since busy days at work are so few and far, people don't know how to deal with a busy day and well they can be interesting at times.....lol

My wife is working the holiday as well, but her employer being cheap like they are, always make sure they don't schedule her 15 of the last 30 so they can avoid paying her holiday pay, so she always works holidays without the extra pay which sucks.

Long weekends around this household are the same ole same ole.
Old May 15th 2015, 9:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Weekend

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...her employer being cheap like they are, always make sure they don't schedule her 15 of the last 30 so they can avoid paying her holiday pay, so she always works holidays without the extra pay which sucks...
Just as my stepdaughter's employer keeps their employee hours too low to qualify for drug coverage.

Are there no depths that North American Employers won't stoop to?
Old May 15th 2015, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just as my stepdaughter's employer keeps their employee hours too low to qualify for drug coverage.

Are there no depths that North American Employers won't stoop to?
No probably not, employers are getting pretty bad at cutting payroll and employee related costs anyway they can.

Then you have Wal-Mart who will schedule one up to 36.5 hours a week, just .5 hours shy of what they consider full-time, happened to my wife a lot when she worked there, they schedule completely in a way to maximize your use without ever averaging enough for the benefits they offer.

Not like her employer is out much for her wages to begin with, the real estate agents pay a daily admin fee for use of the admin services (what my wife does) which is supposed to cover the costs of providing said service.

Otherwise all the listings, faxing, emails, and so on would have to be done by the agents or the agents would have to hire their own assistant.
Old May 15th 2015, 11:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight, sushi or an Indian depending on HID, then off our local pub/bar tonight with some "friends", hopefully the girls will piss off around midnight so we can get a bit of a session in. I believe they have Grey Goose Martinis and Delirium Tremens on special on Fridays and the place don't close until 2:00am.

Saturday morning, paperwork, afternoon, change spark plugs, oil and filters on boat engines. Then out in the evening for a nosh up at a local oyster bar as requested by HID.

Sunday, fishing all day.

Monday is not a holiday for me, its next week that the party starts.
Old May 15th 2015, 11:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had oysters in years, have some for me. Maybe I'll do kippers in the morning, I don't absolutely have to work. Should go visit a shut-in friend and another in the hospital.
Old May 15th 2015, 11:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I haven't had oysters in years, have some for me. Maybe I'll do kippers in the morning, I don't absolutely have to work. Should go visit a shut-in friend and another in the hospital.
Its bit noisy for me as the culture of the staff seems to be loud and aggressive, I think they hire them all from the local YMCA gym. But still, the bowls of mussels and clams are excellent.

You should hire a mini bus or something for the day, go and pick them both up, put on some tunes, get some balloons and hats and some booze in and drive around for the day having a party and then you can all be dropped off safely.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:01 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You should hire a mini bus or something for the day, go and pick them both up, put on some tunes, get some balloons and hats and some booze in and drive around for the day having a party and then you can all be dropped off safely.
Nice sentiment but not possible even though I have the van for it. One is in cardiac evaluation because he isn't strong enough to survive a bypass and the other is already toxic with non-functioning kidneys - not half a liver between the both of them. They'll both laugh when I tell them what you said though.
Edit: Both are friends I've known more than 40 years, I owe them a visit.

Last edited by caretaker; May 16th 2015 at 12:10 am.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Working but that's OK as the villages is full of tourists. The trailer parks will be full.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by caretaker
Nice sentiment but not possible even though I have the van for it. One is in cardiac evaluation because he isn't strong enough to survive a bypass and the other is already toxic with non-functioning kidneys - not half a liver between the both of them. They'll both laugh when I tell them what you said though.
Edit: Both are friends I've known more than 40 years, I owe them a visit.
I'm glad I didn't suggest hiring a couple of strippers now.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm glad I didn't suggest hiring a couple of strippers now.
Ha ha, that would be safer than the booze cruise!
Old May 16th 2015, 12:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
employers are getting pretty bad at cutting payroll and employee related costs anyway they can.
Actually many are getting pretty good at it. It is called budgeting and often as a result of consumerism and the constant demand for cheaper goods or services. At the luxury end of the market it is not happening much at all, where clients are willing to pay more for what they want.

Employers are constantly trying to cut all costs, not just labour costs. Where prices don't go up and costs do, margins are squeezed more and more. Many businesses would be happy to pay staff more (perhaps the so called living wage) if consumers were willing to pay more at store level. If a businesses margin declines year on year because of price pressure and increasing costs, there gets to a point where business is no longer viable. There are three choices, put up prices, cut costs, shut up shop. With the last one, nobody wins.

Long Weekend, I work my staff get the time off.
Old May 16th 2015, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow: All British Field Meet at Van Dusen Garden - more than 500 classic British-built vehicles and motorcycles on the Great Lawn of the world renowned VanDusen Botanical Garden, while celebrating its 30th year, May 16, 2015 from 10am to 4pm.

Taking the Landy along for the ride!

Sunday: Keys for new house at 12 noon Then it's a U-Haul trailer to move boxes and smaller stuff [Next weekend it's family members moving furniture!]

Monday: More moving boxes and then relax for a bit in the afternoon!

Will be fitting some beers in somewhere...got to keep the #dadbod in shape

Last edited by withabix; May 16th 2015 at 1:00 am.
Old May 16th 2015, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
Working but that's OK as the villages is full of tourists. The trailer parks will be full.
This place is already busy, the stores and roads are insanely busy for this town....lol....

If I didn't have to deal with the crowds at work, I'd not care but in this case, rather be at home and out of the hustle and bustle...
Old May 16th 2015, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Aviator
Actually many are getting pretty good at it. It is called budgeting and often as a result of consumerism and the constant demand for cheaper goods or services. At the luxury end of the market it is not happening much at all, where clients are willing to pay more for what they want.

Employers are constantly trying to cut all costs, not just labour costs. Where prices don't go up and costs do, margins are squeezed more and more. Many businesses would be happy to pay staff more (perhaps the so called living wage) if consumers were willing to pay more at store level. If a businesses margin declines year on year because of price pressure and increasing costs, there gets to a point where business is no longer viable. There are three choices, put up prices, cut costs, shut up shop. With the last one, nobody wins.

Long Weekend, I work my staff get the time off.
There is budgeting and then there is screwing your employees on holidays by purposely not scheduling them enough days prior and then using the weak labor laws to save a few bucks.

Considering housing prices are up way up and selling more this year then prior years, real estate is not hurting and doing quite well.

Employer can't expect happy employees when they screw people over every way they can on the employee side.

The law needs to be changed, if someone works the holiday, then the company needs to fork up the cash for being open that day.

Companies really only have themselves to blame for consumers being cheap, they keep reducing pay, hours, and benefits, so people have less money, people have less money they spend less. Add in high housing, and there should be no surprise why people may not be willing to spend more then they have to.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 16th 2015 at 1:27 am.
Old May 16th 2015, 1:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Employers are constantly trying to cut all costs, not just labour costs.
Makes one wonder why they pay no attention to all those studies that show they lose more money failing to look after their employees doesn't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.