British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   At Long Last! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/long-last-727240/)

zippadydoda Aug 3rd 2011 4:08 am

At Long Last!

Hi, just wanted to share that after 2 and a half years in Canada I have just managed to secure my first Canadian Teaching job! Had to do 3 semester credits in Canadian history in order to get my Alberta Teaching Certificate, then was able to apply for jobs. I never thought I would see this day, although I did not consider not being able to walk straight into a job when I gave mine up in UK in order to come here.

So if there is anyone else wanting to teach and finding it a struggle, don't give up hope. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just that some tunnels are longer than others!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ann m Aug 3rd 2011 4:33 am

Re: At Long Last!

Congrats! :)

Zoe Bell Aug 3rd 2011 11:00 am

That's awesome news :thumbsup:

Well done !!

ultrarunner Aug 3rd 2011 12:53 pm

Wicked brilliant news.....to add to the aforementioned cliche's in your post OP, good things does come to those who wait :thumbsup:

You are in the money now ;)

Piff Poff Aug 3rd 2011 1:31 pm

Well done:thumbsup:

zippadydoda Aug 4th 2011 1:25 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9535291)
Wicked brilliant news.....to add to the aforementioned cliche's in your post OP, good things does come to those who wait :thumbsup:

You are in the money now ;)

You said it! I can't believe that teachers over here get paid double what they do in UK!

Auld Yin Aug 4th 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by zippadydoda (Post 9536526)
You said it! I can't believe that teachers over here get paid double what they do in UK!

Yes, they're overpaid here and not underpaid in the UK. For once the UK got it right.

Piff Poff Aug 4th 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9536559)
Yes, they're overpaid here and not underpaid in the UK. For once the UK got it right.

I think teachers should be well paid, I cannot think of anything more daunting or horrifying than a classroom full of kids, stuff of nightmares that!

Steve_P Aug 4th 2011 3:51 am

Walk a mile...:sneaky:

Atlantic Xpat Aug 4th 2011 9:55 am

Merchant Banker.

Zoe Bell Aug 4th 2011 12:26 pm

I never felt underpaid as a teacher in the UK. I had plenty of issues with the profession but , strangely enough pay was never one of them.

Auld Yin Aug 4th 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 9536563)
I think teachers should be well paid, I cannot think of anything more daunting or horrifying than a classroom full of kids, stuff of nightmares that!

Well paid, yes, but not grossly overpaid.

Simon Legree Aug 4th 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9537462)

Not like those pesky bankers then ! :)

By the way, does anyone know if it's true that a group of bakers is known as "a wunch" ! ;)

Auld Yin Aug 4th 2011 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 9536563)

Oh yes I know, it's a calling, a vocation isn't it? It's for the kiddies that they entered the profession. There are 6 in my family in teaching and when sat with them around the dinner table one finds out why they entered, and it has little or nothing to do with enhancing the lives of young people. It's a bloody job that pays well, has stupidly long holidays and as long as they don't diddle little children they can stay for life, despite how incompetent, lazy or stupid they are.

Piff Poff Aug 4th 2011 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9537462)

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9537536)
Oh yes I know, it's a calling, a vocation isn't it? It's for the kiddies that they entered the profession. There are 6 in my family in teaching and when sat with them around the dinner table one finds out why they entered, and it has little or nothing to do with enhancing the lives of young people. It's a bloody job that pays well, has stupidly long holidays and as long as they don't diddle little children they can stay for life, despite how incompetent, lazy or stupid they are.

Why did you feel the need to quote me twice?

You could offer me a million dollars to teach for twenty years and I still wouldn't do it, just because there are 6 teachers in your orbit that you think lowly of it doesn't mean they are all the same.

My Stepson is going into the profession, he wants to teach the Primary school kids, I did ask how and why he wanted to do this job, bearing in mind that during one of his placements 8 out of the 9 kids he was teaching a math concept on one table didn't speak English, which I would have thought would make things much harder, he said it was the look on the little ones faces when they understood something and knowing it was because of him that they understood it - or words to that effect anyway.

As for the holidays, no one ever thinks of the prep time for preparing classes, no one ever thinks of the paperwork etc. There are plenty of big money earning bosses out there that have just the same amount of time off that are paid much more money for their jobs, yet no one ever really criticzses those in the same way that teachers are criticized.