British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   In London, UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/london-uk-864143/)

Pizzawheel Aug 26th 2015 11:17 pm

In London, UK

(On hols).

Munching on a thick slice of Sainsburies Canadian Cheddar. And wondering why I can't get cheese like this in Canada. FFS.:frown::frown::frown:

(standard cheese lamentation thread. Scroll on by...)

Former Lancastrian Aug 26th 2015 11:22 pm

Re: In London, UK

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11733819)
(On hols).

Munching on a thick slice of Sainsburies Canadian Cheddar. And wondering why I can't get cheese like this in Canada. FFS.:frown::frown::frown:

Cos we don't have Sainsburies stores in Canada duh;)
Let me guess you are probably helping it go down by swilling back some god awful southern brew claiming to be beer and some cheese and onion crisps and a plate of jellied eels. Hope any tube walkout doesn't spoil your hols.

bats Aug 27th 2015 12:27 am

(On hols).

Yes is Canadian cheddar is made near here.

ann m Aug 27th 2015 3:38 am

Ooh, have a fabulous trip 😀

Pizzawheel Aug 27th 2015 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11733823)
Let me guess you are probably helping it go down by swilling back some god awful southern brew claiming to be beer and some cheese and onion crisps and a plate of jellied eels. Hope any tube walkout doesn't spoil your hols.

Damn, so I do need to put a bit of tape over the laptop camera!

The ales were a Marstons Pedigree and a Brakspears Best, and the crisps were actually prawn cocktail, but the tescos colours aren't so bright these days so I'll give you that one.

Eels are just a joke dish to be fed to tourists from the north, real eastenders subsist on pie and mash as any fule kno. Which has made me wonder when my first chance for a 4x4 will arise.

Pizzawheel Aug 27th 2015 6:23 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11733855)
Yes is Canadian cheddar is made near here.

I have a balaclava and a rope. Who's in?

BristolUK Aug 27th 2015 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11733963)
...Marstons Pedigree...

mmmmm.....

Usually a reliable pint wherever I had it.

You have me pining for a Royal Oak now. And it's not even 9.00 am.

bats Aug 27th 2015 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11733964)
I have a balaclava and a rope. Who's in?

They sell it you know. In shops.

MikeUK Aug 27th 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11733963)
.......The ales were a Marstons Pedigree and a Brakspears Best......

In London..... shame should be hunting out a nice fresh pint of Fuller's be it ESB or London pride ?

Paul_Shepherd Aug 27th 2015 4:47 pm

(On hols).

I believe Empire cheese located in Campbellford, Ontario supply Sainsburys with Canadian cheddar! and its cheaper to buy in Sainsburys than it is in Campbellford!! after a 3500 mile journey......work that one out! :confused:

dbd33 Aug 27th 2015 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 11734362)
In London..... shame should be hunting out a nice fresh pint of Fuller's be it ESB or London pride ?

He could likely get Young's. I wouldn't take Pride if the other choice was Ordinary.

macadian Aug 28th 2015 7:57 pm

[QUOTE=dbd33;11734449]He could likely get Young's. I wouldn't take Pride if the other choice was Ordinary.[/QUOTE

Avoid most thing these days where 'Pride' features in the description. Beer might be an exception though...☺ Will be in the 'Big smoke' for ten days in October so will check that out...along with a number of other brews no doubt, that is after I have sussed out the complexities of using the underground!

Pizzawheel Aug 29th 2015 11:55 am

I can get Pride and ESB in the Feathers! Pride used to be one of my favourites- after they sorted it out in the 90s- but ESB is on handpull so I always go for that.

I saw a beer Taylor Water made called London Glory.... hmmmm. Youngs isn't that common this far east- more Greene King and Southwold in these parts.

They sell it you know. In shops.
Every time I've bought it the cheese has been removed and replaced with some sort of plastic putty, which I assume is either to fix car bodywork or to finish off bathrooms. Though tastewise that is doing B&Q White Bathroom Mastic a disservice.

bats Aug 29th 2015 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11735759)
I can get Pride and ESB in the Feathers! Pride used to be one of my favourites- after they sorted it out in the 90s- but ESB is on handpull so I always go for that.

I saw a beer Taylor Water made called London Glory.... hmmmm. Youngs isn't that common this far east- more Greene King and Southwold in these parts.

Every time I've bought it the cheese has been removed and replaced with some sort of plastic putty, which I assume is either to fix car bodywork or to finish off bathrooms. Though tastewise that is doing B&Q White Bathroom Mastic a disservice.

Bdrive a little further east on the 401 and you'll find it. Though it tastes ok it does still have that rubbery brick cheese texture.

Atlantic Xpat Sep 1st 2015 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11735759)

I saw a beer Taylor Water made called London Glory.... hmmmm. Youngs isn't that common this far east- more Greene King and Southwold in these parts. .

Adnams is nectar of the gods IMHO as it's what I was raised on in Suffolk. Although of recent years I've also come to appreciate Woodfordes Wherry which is a Norfolk beer.

I'm in London every 6 weeks ago & my "local" is this place Old Fountain It's all a bit hipster & craft aleish but does a good variety of decent pints. To be recommended.