British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   London Portsmouth commute (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/london-portsmouth-commute-774953/)

austinallegro Oct 18th 2012 1:56 am

London Portsmouth commute

My wife has a business trip that will take her to central London next week for a few days and then Portsmouth for a few days.

Rather than change hotels she's hoping to stay the entire time in one hotel in London and commute down to Portsmouth from London.

Has anyone on this forum done the commute on this route? I'm wondering how long it would take and if the trip during rush hour is feasible. She's never driven in the UK and is definitely against car hire.

She'd need to get from London to Portsmouth in time for meetings beginning 9am or 10am each day.

p.s. The SouthWest trains website is down for maintenance right now so I'm going for Human based knowledge.

Thanks.

bats Oct 18th 2012 2:01 am

Re: London Portsmouth commute

Originally Posted by austinallegro (Post 10336483)
My wife has a business trip that will take her to central London next week for a few days and then Portsmouth for a few days.

Rather than change hotels she's hoping to stay the entire time in one hotel in London and commute down to Portsmouth from London.

Has anyone on this forum done the commute on this route? I'm wondering how long it would take and if the trip during rush hour is feasible. She's never driven in the UK and is definitely against car hire.

She'd need to get from London to Portsmouth in time for meetings beginning 9am or 10am each day.

p.s. The SouthWest trains website is down for maintenance right now so I'm going for Human based knowledge.

Thanks.

But National Rail Enquiries are not
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

austinallegro Oct 18th 2012 2:08 am

Thanks. That was handy. It's over 2 hours with no delays. I think she'll have to bite the bullet and change hotels.

Thanks again.

magnumpi Oct 18th 2012 2:29 am

Originally Posted by austinallegro (Post 10336496)
Thanks. That was handy. It's over 2 hours with no delays. I think she'll have to bite the bullet and change hotels.

Thanks again.

I would move hotels..

Its not hard to relocate and the extra sleep and chill out time will be well worth it. We used to always change hotels if working out of London. I know i was in a car but the traffic is so unpredictable in rush the hour, its not worth the risk.

Oink Oct 18th 2012 2:50 am

Tell her to get a B&B and then she can go out on the piss.

Driscoll Family Oct 18th 2012 8:27 am

I do this journey by car and can take 2 hours or sometime up to 3 &1/2 and that is not in rush hour. Driving in London is hard core if you not used to it and parking is even harder.
My mother take the train for 1.45 min fro Portsmouth to Waterloo, which is straight forward and no changes needed.
I would stay in London.
Safe Journey what ever you choice

Silverdragon102 Oct 18th 2012 10:25 am

Portsmouth isn't that bad and plenty to do with a good shopping centre. Lived there for a year before coming to Canada

scrubbedexpat133 Oct 18th 2012 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 10337138)
Portsmouth isn't that bad and plenty to do with a good shopping centre. Lived there for a year before coming to Canada

+1 Stay in Pompey. My ex Mrs was from there and we used to live in Southampton. Portsmouth is a different experience from London so she should make the most of it and see some of the city and surrounding area.

ultrarunner Oct 18th 2012 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 10337600)
+1 Stay in Pompey. My ex Mrs was from there and we used to live in Southampton. Portsmouth is a different experience from London so she should make the most of it and see some of the city and surrounding area.

Love Pompey to bits....can't say that about many places outside London ;)

scrubbedexpat133 Oct 18th 2012 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10337612)
Love Pompey to bits....can't say that about many places outside London ;)

???? errrr.... most of it outside of London lol

Were you one of the squaddie / sailor boys causing mayhem down Guildhall walk every weekend lol :rofl:

dbd33 Oct 18th 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 10337631)

Were you one of the squaddie / sailor boys causing mayhem down Guildhall walk every weekend lol :rofl:

I think he means there aren't many lovable places outside London. That's not very Canadian.

ultrarunner Oct 18th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 10337631)

Should have read....most other places outside London. I had many a wicked time in Portsmouth during uni days

austinallegro Oct 18th 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. In the end my dearly beloved chose staying in one nice hotel in London for the entire time and had the meetings moved to the Basingstoke office.

Next time the whole family goes over we'll do Portsmouth and Southampton too.

scrubbedexpat133 Oct 18th 2012 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by austinallegro (Post 10337809)
Thanks for the replies. In the end my dearly beloved chose staying in one nice hotel in London for the entire time and had the meetings moved to the Basingstoke office.

Next time the whole family goes over we'll do Portsmouth and Southampton too.

Basingstoke??? Hampshire's answer to a North American town. She will feel much more at home there. Soulless and dull.

blubin Oct 24th 2012 12:42 pm

Portsmouth is a shithole.

Oakvillian Oct 24th 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by blubin (Post 10347389)
Portsmouth is a shithole.

Thank you for your considered opinion. Care to elaborate?

blubin Oct 24th 2012 7:51 pm

It's not really necessary. Nothing town. If it wasn't by the sea no one would give a shit.

magnumpi Oct 24th 2012 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by blubin (Post 10348170)
It's not really necessary. Nothing town. If it wasn't by the sea no one would give a shit.

Same as London then. If it wasn't near a river no one would give a sh!te.

WestLondonWelshman Oct 24th 2012 8:14 pm

http://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/

blubin Oct 24th 2012 8:18 pm

I doubt you really think that.

WestLondonWelshman Oct 24th 2012 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10348198)
Same as London then. If it wasn't near a river no one would give a sh!te.

Yes quite. Bizzarre analogy to make!

magnumpi Oct 24th 2012 8:34 pm

;)

Oakvillian Oct 24th 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by blubin (Post 10348170)

What a ridiculous thing to say. If it wasn't by the sea it wouldn't be Portsmouth. Its entire history and raison d'etre - even its name - is enshrined in its relationship with the sea.

So, you have no reason to call it a shithole, other than that you dislike the place. You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but your dislike of a city doesn't mean that other people don't value the place.

DandNHill Oct 26th 2012 1:21 am

I have fond memories of Portsmouth.
I only lived 40 miles from Portsmouth and broke down once just outside Portsmouth on the A27. Hubby had put petrol in the diesel engine. Whoopps. So we had to stand the other side of the crash barrier whilst waiting for the breakdown people to arrive.
It was snowing so I think it was kinda preparing us for Canada! :rofl:

Danny B Feb 26th 2013 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 10348135)
Thank you for your considered opinion. Care to elaborate?

The feral packs of kids, the endless bass of the exhausts, the no go area that is Guildhall Walk, the eastern European thugs trading blows and insults and drug dealerships with the locals, the almost total absence of culture (Hornpipe Cinema, where are you when we need you), the North End Wetherspoons, the asbos, the dilapidation of Fratton Park where millionaire footballers drive away from the gloom to their pads in the countryside with the last few hard-earned tenners of the locals burning holes in their armani trousers, the fading splendor of the Southsea villas now carved up into bedsits for ‘transient gentlemen’ and behaviourly-challenged young people, the tiny numbers of beggars (like babies in an orphanage they soon learnt the futility of crying for help), the sewage pumping station that is below sea level, the historic dockyard with its head stuck up its historic arse, gunwharf quays, the students who quickly learn the value of avoiding eye contact, the Somerstown skyline in the day’s dying light, the murders, the crammed urban streets packed with four-wheel drives, the hatchet-faced young women, the horrified old men working in the newsagents, the cheap housing being built on every square millimetre of greenery, the football club chairman who thinks he’s Caesar, Fred sodding Dineneage, the endless rows of terraced houses, the diet of lager and kebabs, the shaved heads, the baseball caps, the stripey tops, the beerbellies, the knuckles, the sovereign rings, the white trainers, Pompey dots, the fights over cabs, the nervous-looking coppers, the sense of dread on every street corner, the tense queues in the One Stops, the drives to the country to escape only to find Leigh Park and Wecock Farm, the pounding of the waves that will one day drown the place, the pleading hope inside that somewhere in the town there are people who don’t find mindless violence funny, Paulsgrove, the muggings, the vandalism, the bi-annual footie-related misplaced patriotism fest that always, always turns into riots, the hatred of Southampton, the hatred of everyone else, the bastardised cockney accent, the kids swigging from lager cans, the tracksuits, the red faces, the baffled old people thinking death might not be quite so bad after all, the smell of dogs**t, the dogs**t, the look you get when buying a broadsheet newspaper and a bottle of wine that doesn’t come in a two-litre bottle, the stabbings, the slashings, the shouting, the racism, the crappy jobs, the grey factories, the drizzle, that f**king pointless £20 million tower they built 100 yards away from one of the most-deprived wards in Britain, the traffic lights that favour a non-existent flow of traffic, the empty libraries, the jam-packed bookies, Fratton Wetherspoons, the tailgating, those poor, brave cyclists, the white vans, the tatoos, the sailors, the endless drivel about regeneration (note to council: a tower block with a few bits of plastic stuck on it is still a tower block), the refusal to do any recycling, that strange orange glow you get in the evenings, the cctv, the concrete, the neighbours that won’t even make eye contact with you, the ordinary people looking to move to Fareham, Cosham Wetherspoons, the buses full of pikeys, Port Solent, Time and Envy, South Parade Pier, the sea, the sea…

scrubbedexpat133 Feb 26th 2013 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 10570413)
The feral packs of kids, the endless bass of the exhausts, the no go area that is Guildhall Walk, the eastern European thugs trading blows and insults and drug dealerships with the locals, the almost total absence of culture (Hornpipe Cinema, where are you when we need you), the North End Wetherspoons, the asbos, the dilapidation of Fratton Park where millionaire footballers drive away from the gloom to their pads in the countryside with the last few hard-earned tenners of the locals burning holes in their armani trousers, the fading splendor of the Southsea villas now carved up into bedsits for ‘transient gentlemen’ and behaviourly-challenged young people, the tiny numbers of beggars (like babies in an orphanage they soon learnt the futility of crying for help), the sewage pumping station that is below sea level, the historic dockyard with its head stuck up its historic arse, gunwharf quays, the students who quickly learn the value of avoiding eye contact, the Somerstown skyline in the day’s dying light, the murders, the crammed urban streets packed with four-wheel drives, the hatchet-faced young women, the horrified old men working in the newsagents, the cheap housing being built on every square millimetre of greenery, the football club chairman who thinks he’s Caesar, Fred sodding Dineneage, the endless rows of terraced houses, the diet of lager and kebabs, the shaved heads, the baseball caps, the stripey tops, the beerbellies, the knuckles, the sovereign rings, the white trainers, Pompey dots, the fights over cabs, the nervous-looking coppers, the sense of dread on every street corner, the tense queues in the One Stops, the drives to the country to escape only to find Leigh Park and Wecock Farm, the pounding of the waves that will one day drown the place, the pleading hope inside that somewhere in the town there are people who don’t find mindless violence funny, Paulsgrove, the muggings, the vandalism, the bi-annual footie-related misplaced patriotism fest that always, always turns into riots, the hatred of Southampton, the hatred of everyone else, the bastardised cockney accent, the kids swigging from lager cans, the tracksuits, the red faces, the baffled old people thinking death might not be quite so bad after all, the smell of dogs**t, the dogs**t, the look you get when buying a broadsheet newspaper and a bottle of wine that doesn’t come in a two-litre bottle, the stabbings, the slashings, the shouting, the racism, the crappy jobs, the grey factories, the drizzle, that f**king pointless £20 million tower they built 100 yards away from one of the most-deprived wards in Britain, the traffic lights that favour a non-existent flow of traffic, the empty libraries, the jam-packed bookies, Fratton Wetherspoons, the tailgating, those poor, brave cyclists, the white vans, the tatoos, the sailors, the endless drivel about regeneration (note to council: a tower block with a few bits of plastic stuck on it is still a tower block), the refusal to do any recycling, that strange orange glow you get in the evenings, the cctv, the concrete, the neighbours that won’t even make eye contact with you, the ordinary people looking to move to Fareham, Cosham Wetherspoons, the buses full of pikeys, Port Solent, Time and Envy, South Parade Pier, the sea, the sea…

:rofl: Dont remember Pompey being that bad :rofl:

dbd33 Feb 26th 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 10570413)

Do they call them "wards" in the West Country?

Shard Feb 26th 2013 1:10 pm

Where's that long quotation from?

Danny B Feb 26th 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10570753)
Where's that long quotation from?

One of my old favourite websites.

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/2005/04/w...-sucks-a-list/

Shard Feb 26th 2013 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 10571396)

Good site, Pompey a bit overdone, but not totally overdone. Will have to read up on some other locales that I have been to.

Oink Feb 26th 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10571405)
Good site, Pompey a bit overdone, but not totally overdone. Will have to read up on some other locales that I have been to.

Did you see the video on the home page? :rofl:

Shard Feb 26th 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10571599)

Hilarious. As the site owner says "makes you proud" :thumbdown: Could only manage the first minute.

Danny B Feb 27th 2013 2:37 am

You don't get rude to me :lol:

Oink Feb 27th 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 10572151)
You don't get rude to me :lol:

She's made the Daily Mail. She'll probably get her own reality tv programme now. :)

Almost Canadian Feb 27th 2013 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10573749)
She's made the Daily Mail. She'll probably get her own reality tv programme now. :)

She sounded just like my sister:eek:

Keelif Feb 28th 2013 11:18 am

If you liked that one, have a look at this. The bloke in it has the patience of a saint, and is obviously some sort of martial arts specialist...

http://youtu.be/yNMfZ3CZco0