London, Ontario

Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:33 am
Just Joined

reddeermojo will become famous soon enoughreddeermojo will become famous soon enough
Default London, Ontario

So we have lived in Red deer, Alberta for 3 years now and the job that brought us over here from the UK has now gone, laid off due to the recession.
So we are considering a move to London,Ontario.

Does anyone already live here ?????

Any advise on London, best areas to live, what to do here.

We are thinking of doing this in the spring, so it is better to sell our house in Alberta.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice
Default Re: London, Ontario

I really like London Ontario. House prices are great $120,000 to $190,000 buys you something nice if you look. Old South and Old North. The further away from the Uni. of course and the Core and North London are the what most people pick as areas to live. The further NW London the high the price $170,000 upwards. Parts of the East End are great too. But it has a bit of stigma. So buying houses in this part of town is cheap. You can pick up some bargains. It just run down and some the houses have odd neighbors. Mostly off Horton street area. It Gets better the closer you get to Highbury and east of it. Renting pick old south and the core north, old north but stay way from the UNI areas b/c of noise. You pay around $650 upwards for 1 bed. 2 beds start around $750. Byron/Lambeth are all very nice middle class areas to live as well. You also have St Thomas about 20 minutes south which is dirt cheap 100-150K will buy you a big house in the best parts. But it is very sleepy and you have to commute for work. I consider London. But I pick Toronto. I need a bit more excitement. But it great and affordable city and half the price of Kitchener they pretty similar however. I don't think you can go wrong. No idea on things to do. It has lot festival almost every weekend in the summer and bike paths and malls and a stadium. Close to Grand bend for the beach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Ontario

http://www.century21.ca/firstcanadian

Last edited by Essex_Man; Sep 29th 2009 at 9:32 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:34 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

London often gets suggested as an alternative to Windsor... I didn't think that much of it to be honest, I certainly wouldn't move there from Windsor anyway.

It's OK I guess, but I'd visit first to check it out...
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77
London often gets suggested as an alternative to Windsor... I didn't think that much of it to be honest, I certainly wouldn't move there from Windsor anyway.

It's OK I guess, but I'd visit first to check it out...
Windsor gone to the dogs. Which why you pick up house for 60,000 bucks. No work however. Much more blue collar. London is mix of blue and white collar.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:05 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Windsor gone to the dogs. Which why you pick up house for 60,000 bucks. No work however. Much more blue collar. London is mix of blue and white collar.
Not the best place to look for a job - but great for those who have one!

BTW - the houses you can buy for $60k are grim.... $200k gets you something respectable.... $300k and you're into something really nice....
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:17 am
Just Joined

reddeermojo will become famous soon enoughreddeermojo will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your help, will be looking in the old south of London.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reddeermojo
Thank you for your help, will be looking in the old south of London.
Yep. Can't go wrong. Yellow Bricks houses are highly desirable as well as Ontario cottages. Get as close to Wortley Village as you can. Avoid the Cove it built dumb and vents methane gas. Which why it so much cheaper. If you head over whancliffe following Emery west and Take the 2nd left along Mackay you're see the vents from the dump buried under ground.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

natrum is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a British Ex Pat and have lived in St. Thomas for 4 years. I am a Realtor and I work in St Thomas and my husband works in a company in London. You can certainly get more for your money in St Thomas and London is around 25 to 35 minutes comute depending on which part you need to get to. It has a good mix of new, older and century properties and we have just had new schools built here. Message me if you need any further advice.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:39 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by natrum
I am a British Ex Pat and have lived in St. Thomas for 4 years. I am a Realtor and I work in St Thomas and my husband works in a company in London. You can certainly get more for your money in St Thomas and London is around 25 to 35 minutes comute depending on which part you need to get to. It has a good mix of new, older and century properties and we have just had new schools built here. Message me if you need any further advice.
But like anything it comes down to the job.........
Its ok that the houses are cheaper, but you need to make sure you can secure something
we visited in 2007, although we found it lovely it didnt have the thing for us, i hope that you can get a job in the area

LB
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

It is a choice between:

Mortgage and low pay job in Alberta or

Very low or no mortgage and low pay job in Ontario

The work in Alberta must be at the same situation as work in Ontario, both i think have been hit by the recession. So a house in Alberta for $330,000 is only $200,000 is Ontario.

Thats my thinking on our situation.....would you agree ?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:29 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reddeermojo
It is a choice between:

Mortgage and low pay job in Alberta or

Very low or no mortgage and low pay job in Ontario

The work in Alberta must be at the same situation as work in Ontario, both i think have been hit by the recession. So a house in Alberta for $330,000 is only $200,000 is Ontario.

Thats my thinking on our situation.....would you agree ?
Depends on the skill and job that you are looking at.........
i know for us it wouldnt work and i am not sure what part of alberta you are in, but our part is fine with jobs, infact they are still hiring skilled people daily....
with only limited info people can only make a limited judgement, you are urs need to make that call...maybe a recci first???