Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Local newspaper stories

Local newspaper stories

Old Nov 2nd 2020, 6:46 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local newspaper stories

I was looking at Reddit earlier and saw there was a little plane crash in Kelowna last night. One comment said training flight, others just that it was a private plane that missed the runway, and the pilot was taken to hospital with minor injuries. Any landing you can walk away from, and all that.
edit; now says "landed short of the runway"

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 2nd 2020 at 6:52 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Cessna 172 I believe. Aircraft belongs to a flight school and one article mentioned a student doing a solo so good chance it was a student.

Hard to tell from the photos I saw but does look like it landed a bit too soon.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I was looking at Reddit earlier and saw there was a little plane crash in Kelowna last night. One comment said training flight, others just that it was a private plane that missed the runway, and the pilot was taken to hospital with minor injuries. Any landing you can walk away from, and all that.
edit; now says "landed short of the runway"
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never thought much about it before, but seeing a few articles this year around Canada and the US of people who died because police mistook a medical emergency for being drunk in public. Paramedics shouldn't be permitted to decide if someone is fit for incarceration, only doctors should be able to make that decision, had the man been transported to hospital, maybe he would not have died. Autopsy found no drugs or alcohol in his system, and cause of death was a stroke.

RCMP in Alberta arrested a man for being intoxicated, but appears he was in medical distress and no drugs or alcohol were found in his system, he was actually having a stroke.

There was a similiar case in California, a woman was having a stroke while driving and stopped and got out of her vehicle, when police arrived they accused her of being drunk so took her to jail, where she spent 3 days, when released a friend took her to hospital, and it was discovered she had a stroke and spent a few days in ICU, she died about a year later after having another stroke.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 2nd 2020 at 4:15 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 6:37 am
Account Closed

Dr and patient drama in Kelowna.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...fwJEPk0JHkqT4Y
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Crazy times tonight at Kelowna Wal-Mart. Reason for the heavy police presence not know as of the updated article, but could change. (on that note why can't castanet move into the 2020's, their website reminds me of something from like 1999-2000 era lol)

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...al-Mart#317119

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 9:15 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Crazy times tonight at Kelowna Wal-Mart. Reason for the heavy police presence not know as of the updated article, but could change.
No updates yet that I can find, so I'm guessing they still think it could be a pressure cooker and are still waiting for a bomb squad. I wonder where they have to come from? If they drive in from Vancouver with a team and robot and immersion tank, Walmart might not be open this morning. They always act with caution because they never know what's inside. If that's what's happening maybe it's time to start a bomb squad in Kelowna and store the gear somewhere they can access it quickly. If the whole Okanagan area can be reached in a max of 2 hrs
Instead of waiting 6 or 7 for response from Vancouver it sounds worthwhile. On Looney Tunes they'd just set it in a dumpster with a flashbang to break it up, but that isn't likely to happen.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 2:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Something should be happening soon.....
https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/...fety-incident/

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 23rd 2020 at 2:14 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 3:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

The local headlines, yesterdayday in history:
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

No updates yet that I can find, so I'm guessing they still think it could be a pressure cooker and are still waiting for a bomb squad. I wonder where they have to come from? If they drive in from Vancouver with a team and robot and immersion tank, Walmart might not be open this morning. They always act with caution because they never know what's inside. If that's what's happening maybe it's time to start a bomb squad in Kelowna and store the gear somewhere they can access it quickly. If the whole Okanagan area can be reached in a max of 2 hrs
Instead of waiting 6 or 7 for response from Vancouver it sounds worthwhile. On Looney Tunes they'd just set it in a dumpster with a flashbang to break it up, but that isn't likely to happen.

Looks like the explosive team had to come from the Lower Mainland, they didn't specify where, but RCMP has their own explosive disposal unit, and their HQ is in Surrey, so I will make an educated guess as say Surrey.

https://surrey.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPa...ontentId=14183

Looks like VPD has their own unit but I doubt RCMP would call them to Kelowna since they have their own unit in the LM.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 7:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Today in history:

Also this firecracker; another monolith shows up, in Pinawa!
https://globalnews.ca/news/7506677/c...h-in-manitoba/
Old Dec 7th 2020, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

Today in history:

Also this firecracker; another monolith shows up, in Pinawa!
https://globalnews.ca/news/7506677/c...h-in-manitoba/

My MIL birthday is today, as is BIL daughter...but a few years after this so neither were around in 1941.

Not many in my family were around in my lifetime who were old enough to remember Pearl Harbor. Really just my great grandmother, as my great grandfathers died before I war born or no long after I was born, my grandparents were born in 1936/1938 so were too young to remember much if anything.

My MIL was born in 1947 so after the war, but grew up in Austria and her parents lived in Austria during the war.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 9:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Not many in my family were around in my lifetime who were old enough to remember Pearl Harbor.
My grandmother was born in 1899 and she told me about the Russian Revolution, she was there! A couple of my friends' fathers were in WW1, and I'm not sure, but even though I've known quite a few WW2 vets, they might all be gone now. I'm lucky to have gotten a good number of stories from the ones I was close to.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 3:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL birthday is today, as is BIL daughter...but a few years after this so neither were around in 1941.

Not many in my family were around in my lifetime who were old enough to remember Pearl Harbor. Really just my great grandmother, as my great grandfathers died before I war born or no long after I was born, my grandparents were born in 1936/1938 so were too young to remember much if anything.

My MIL was born in 1947 so after the war, but grew up in Austria and her parents lived in Austria during the war.
i can highly recommend this youtube channel , they've been doing WW2 week by week , this is their special Pearl Harbour coverage

Old Dec 14th 2020, 9:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Fredericton Grade 1 students surprise janitor with birthday greeting — in sign language
Old Dec 15th 2020, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Seems some in Manitoba who have lost their jobs and thus extended health insurance are struggling to pay for their diabetes medications, insulin, supplies and such. Diabetes seems like a very expensive chronic health condition even in Canada, many on the article comments on FB are surprised things like this happen in Canada, shouldn't be a shock if people pay attention to how much isn't covered by healthcare.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...FHUwSQyuDEV8vU

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 15th 2020 at 12:13 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.