Lobster question

Old Dec 13th 2018, 2:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lobster question

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I'm shocked! Google says there's a ton of restaurants that serve lobster there - including quite a few 'pick your own' ones.. maybe things changed? Hopefully!

Here's a couple to be going on with

https://www.hallsharbourlobster.com/restaurant/
https://www.baddecklobstersuppers.ca/
https://captkatslobstershack.weebly.com/
It's been over 10 years since I've been in Halifax and the next I go will be to bury my husband. I detest my daughter-in-law and will freeze in hell before I have to see her ugly nasty face again. The last time I was there was when she married my stepson and turned into the wicked witch of the west and the evil stepmother. If she comes to the funeral, they will have to bury her the same day if I saw her face.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:17 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It's been over 10 years since I've been in Halifax and the next I go will be to bury my husband. I detest my daughter-in-law and will freeze in hell before I have to see her ugly nasty face again. The last time I was there was when she married my stepson and turned into the wicked witch of the west and the evil stepmother. If she comes to the funeral, they will have to bury her the same day if I saw her face.
No, no, Rete - Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think!
Old Dec 13th 2018, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
No, no, Rete - Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think!
This is a woman p/w'd my stepson and he allowed her to dominate his 10 year old son. She made the kid wash the floors, clean the toilets, do the supper dishes, babysit his nephew(s), when he was 10 onward while her 17 and 18 year old daughters sat around in the living playing computer games. She took the Nintendo we got the grandson for Christmas when he was 12 and gave it to her daughters because she felt that he was too young for it. He was not allowed at the dinner table until they had finished eating and then if there were anything left over he was allowed to eat before doing the dishes. The fault lies not only with the witch but with the stepson. He allowed all this to happen. Thankfully, the grandson is now 21, has an apprenticeship job, is self-supporting and lives by himself.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 12:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There's an old Derek and Clive sketch - the worst job you ever had.

In this case the direction of the lobsters should have been reversed.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This is a woman p/w'd my stepson and he allowed her to dominate his 10 year old son. She made the kid wash the floors, clean the toilets, do the supper dishes, babysit his nephew(s), when he was 10 onward while her 17 and 18 year old daughters sat around in the living playing computer games. She took the Nintendo we got the grandson for Christmas when he was 12 and gave it to her daughters because she felt that he was too young for it. He was not allowed at the dinner table until they had finished eating and then if there were anything left over he was allowed to eat before doing the dishes. The fault lies not only with the witch but with the stepson. He allowed all this to happen. Thankfully, the grandson is now 21, has an apprenticeship job, is self-supporting and lives by himself.
Jesus - that sounds like something out of Cinderella! Hopefully your grandson has come out the other end of that level of abuse without being too badly - or permanently - emotionally scarred.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 11:04 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes life just happens...as it did to me and Bristol...! I am now the proud owner of a tin of frozen Lobster! I never was before...but I am now. According to Google I can do lots with it...I'm really aiming for salad. They are selling like hot cakes here...very popular..so the local denizens must be doing something good with them....?
Old Dec 16th 2018, 12:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Sometimes life just happens...as it did to me and Bristol...! I am now the proud owner of a tin of frozen Lobster! I never was before...but I am now. According to Google I can do lots with it...I'm really aiming for salad. They are selling like hot cakes here...very popular..so the local denizens must be doing something good with them....?
I got one too. A lobster roll or salad does seem the best option.

I can't wait to find out if I can taste the difference between a lobster roll and one made the same way but with crab stick 'meat' instead.
Weird to hold a frozen tin isn't it?
Old Dec 16th 2018, 11:04 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I just did a duckduckgo search for frozen canned lobster and there are lots of sites with information, recipes, and comments about it. If I saw it for $5 I might give it a shot, but maybe not. At $13.50 for 500g I'd probably go get a live lobster with tail attached and use it's last living minutes to freak the cat out. I don't like crab-flavoured pollock, but have used it for bait in the past and had good success catching perch with it.
The dish that seems to get good reviews is lobster mac and cheese.
https://www.chowhound.com/post/canne...-eating-888190

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 16th 2018 at 12:57 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 1:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
I just did a duckduckgo search for frozen canned lobster and there are lots of sites with information, recipes, and comments about it.
Yep...I did that. Well, I googled.
If I saw it for $5 I might give it a shot, but maybe not. At $13.50 for 500g
According to superstore, that 320g tin I bought is normally $30
I'd probably go get a live lobster with tail attached and use it's last living minutes to freak the cat out.

The dish that seems to get good reviews is lobster mac and cheese.
I think the kids had that at Montana's. Just seems a bit ordinary to me and very probably completely smothered by the cheese. But who am I to judge ordinary if I'm going for a lobster roll?
Old Dec 16th 2018, 8:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The discussion was wide and long..
  • BOWHUNR Posts: 1,483 March 2014
    Lobster-cargot. Place equal parts of lobster into an escargot dish and top with enough garlic butter to fill each hole. Bake at 350* for about 10-15 minutes and remove from oven. Top the whole thing with havarti cheese and place under the broiler to melt. Serve with crusty bread for mopping up the butter and cheese. Really good stuff!!

Mike
    I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

• Little Steven Posts: 28,817 March 2014
    BOWHUNR said:Lobster-cargot. Place equal parts of lobster into an escargot dish and top with enough garlic butter to fill each hole. Bake at 350* for about 10-15 minutes and remove from oven. Top the whole thing with havarti cheese and place under the broiler to melt. Serve with crusty bread for mopping up the butter and cheese. Really good stuff!!

Mike
    That sounds awful Mike! It might be better topped with bacon though.Steve
Old Dec 16th 2018, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Once. during the Newfie years, we had lobster for Christmas dinner. We unsnapped their rubber bands and raced them up and down the kitchen floor before throwing them into the pot. I suppose you'll be glad to read that the pictures pre-dated digital cameras.

I was sorely tempted by lobster at Costco on Friday, $22.50 tor a bag of unfashionable parts (including claws) "come on mate, the bag's got 2lbs in it" the seller shouted at me, giving the lie to the miserable fishmonger stereotype. Still, two bags is still only enough for a starter and $45 gets a whole crab leg. I went with the crab.

I haven't tried it but I'm going to guess that lobster in tins is for soup and, if not for soup, joins the list of things the chickens won't eat.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 4:05 pm
Oscar nominated

So...I had a lobster roll (mayo) yesterday and a sandwich version (tzatziki) at lunch today.

I was pleasantly surprised to see several 'whole' pieces included. So whole that at first I thought those pieces were still in the shell.

Disappointing over all. Just cold and wet. I'd rather have tuna and mayo (can even get that already made in the UK) or tinned salmon and mayo (not that I'd add mayo if red salmon)

Next time I'll splash out on smoked salmon and have it with cream cheese. Delish.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 5:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

A fishing friend used to take orders for live east coast lobsters. They used to get flown out, packed in seaweed. Much better than the ones in tanks.
Old Dec 25th 2018, 11:35 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I got one too. A lobster roll or salad does seem the best option.

Weird to hold a frozen tin isn't it?
The frozen tin is a really strange sensation....

Last night I just did a couple of plates of ‘nibbley’ things, a few prawns and oysters (strange shaped oysters here) and decided to add a bit of lobster...just a small one cost me $13 and I got about a quarter of a cup of meat...I forgot I had the tin, and didn’t want a lot anyhow...but if that tin is full of meat then I can see why they were selling like hot cakes...
Old Dec 25th 2018, 12:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oink
A fishing friend used to take orders for live east coast lobsters. They used to get flown out, packed in seaweed. Much better than the ones in tanks.
In our old club in the '80s one of the members was an agent for Pictou Island Fishermen's Co-op, and we had lobster night once a year. He'd fly them in packed in seaweed and we'd put Coleman stoves out on the roof by the back door and boil them up. I think it was $25/couple, which got you 2 lobsters and a bottle of wine to share. Next to maybe New Year's, that was probably the best time to work as a bartender because we'd usually get to eat a free lobster or 2 plus possibility of leftover cold lobsters since we always over-ordered, sometimes just claws but a breadbag full of lobster claws is a beautiful thing .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.