Lobster question

Old Dec 12th 2018, 6:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lobster question

I've never been overly keen on Lobster but for the prices charged there must be something good about it. I used to buy frozen lobster tails (in batter or breadcrumbs) from Sainsburys. They cost a bomb but were delicious.

Anyway, occasionally, there are Rocky Point tins of frozen lobster meat on sale. Why in a tin and frozen?

It says claws, knuckles and legs. Presumably it's supposed to be meat only because it says may contain shells. So perhaps the odd bit of shell is missed.

It sounds more convenient than usual. Is it any good? What can you do with it?

320g for $15.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 7:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lobster question

I'd go to Skipper Jack's or Jean's and get a nice lobster roll before buying a can of lobster. Since you live sort of near the ocean, you'd think you'd get a deal on that sort of thing. We used to get canned lobster when I worked up north, but it wasn't frozen and we just made sandwiches with it.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...ster_Roll.html
Old Dec 12th 2018, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sandwiches with the canned stuff?
Old Dec 12th 2018, 7:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Make sandwiches with the canned stuff?
On friday nights up on that little island we'd take a case of steaks and half a case of canned lobster to the DOT weather station and party like it was 1972; they had a propane bbq in the basement with a range hood and we'd drink and play Risk and cribbage and eat our hillbilly surf and turf.
Edit: The logical use (I think) for canned frozen lobster may be for soup, but if I could use anything else I probably would.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 7:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you just go into your local loblaws and buy a live lobster? You can here. No idea of the cost as I don't like lobster but can't be much more than $15 a lobster can it?

Edit: Heck, you can order it online from Clearwater (in Bedford) for not much more: https://shop.clearwater.ca/canada/live-lobster-cnf.html
Old Dec 12th 2018, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think live lobster in Atlantic Canada would be more reasonably priced, are they not?

They run about 20 per pound for live here in Vancouver.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 7:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Giant sea-going cockroach, really.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'd go to Skipper Jack's or Jean's and get a nice lobster roll before buying a can of lobster.
I've certainly thought of trying a lobster roll. Two of those restaurants I will be trying out but I would be eating something less plain. Skipper Jacks has been on the 'to go' list for a long time but only because I think their fish and chips might actually be up to scratch, unlike everywhere else where it's been average to rubbish.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Can't you just go into your local loblaws and buy a live lobster? You can here.
Sure, but it's convenience I'm after. My stepson loves them but I just thought it was too much work for hardly any reward.
Apart from the lobster tails I mentioned, it's been disappointing.

There was a nice looking pork and partridge pie in the guardian the other day. I was rather hoping someone would say the stuff in the tins are the best bits and then tell me a great pie recipe.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never buy any lobster that came in a can/tin. Also wouldn't be happy with a frozen lobster tail. Love lobster steamed, claws to me are the best not the tail, or the bits and bobs used in a lobster roll the day after you've finished your steamed lobster. Fresh lobsters are hard to find in a restaurant in Nova Scotia. Been there and hubby and I went to 5 different seafood restaurants and nary a one sold lobster. He was looking as I wanted one. He doesn't like lobster but will eat just about any other seafood. And believe me, hubby lived in NS for many years and his son who still does has never had a lobster. According to hubby lobsters are not a favorable seafood in NS because they were so plentiful in the old days that it was just about the only thing servants were allowed to eat. It is considered working class food unlike here in the US where the price for a lobster could bankruptcy you.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I flipping well love lobster and crab.
Crayfishcost many arms and legs & crabs are skinny things here

Argh! I wants. I wants.

Nice fresh cooked crab sandwich. Wonderful lobster served with coleslaw and salad. Little sides of other seafood , sauces and dressings and a fresh bread roll.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I flipping well love lobster and crab.
Crayfishcost many arms and legs & crabs are skinny things here

Argh! I wants. I wants.

Nice fresh cooked crab sandwich. Wonderful lobster served with coleslaw and salad. Little sides of other seafood , sauces and dressings and a fresh bread roll.
Waiter! I'll have what she's having. Hold the drawn butter and add lemon wedges.

P.S. I find the butter removes the taste of the lobster and crab and all you taste is the butter.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 12:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'd never buy any lobster that came in a can/tin. Also wouldn't be happy with a frozen lobster tail. Love lobster steamed, claws to me are the best not the tail, or the bits and bobs used in a lobster roll the day after you've finished your steamed lobster. Fresh lobsters are hard to find in a restaurant in Nova Scotia. Been there and hubby and I went to 5 different seafood restaurants and nary a one sold lobster. He was looking as I wanted one. He doesn't like lobster but will eat just about any other seafood. And believe me, hubby lived in NS for many years and his son who still does has never had a lobster. According to hubby lobsters are not a favorable seafood in NS because they were so plentiful in the old days that it was just about the only thing servants were allowed to eat. It is considered working class food unlike here in the US where the price for a lobster could bankruptcy you.

I'm shocked! Google says there's a ton of restaurants that serve lobster there - including quite a few 'pick your own' ones.. maybe things changed? Hopefully!

Here's a couple to be going on with

https://www.hallsharbourlobster.com/restaurant/
https://www.baddecklobstersuppers.ca/
https://captkatslobstershack.weebly.com/
Old Dec 13th 2018, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

20 + years ago my wife and I went to a place called Cy's that people raved about near the Tidal Bore.

We went once and that was enough. I recall they had wine on draught. !!!

My F-I-L who grew up in Moncton raves about Hynes which to me looks like a diner stuck in a time warp..not my thing.

I recall going to a great wharfside place somewhere about 10 km east of Shediac with great lobster, deep fried clams, basically deep fried everything..not the healthiest but very tasty.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've certainly thought of trying a lobster roll. Two of those restaurants I will be trying out but I would be eating something less plain. Skipper Jacks has been on the 'to go' list for a long time but only because I think their fish and chips might actually be up to scratch, unlike everywhere else where it's been average to rubbish.

Sure, but it's convenience I'm after. My stepson loves them but I just thought it was too much work for hardly any reward.
Apart from the lobster tails I mentioned, it's been disappointing.

There was a nice looking pork and partridge pie in the guardian the other day. I was rather hoping someone would say the stuff in the tins are the best bits and then tell me a great pie recipe.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Waiter! I'll have what she's having. Hold the drawn butter and add lemon wedges.

P.S. I find the butter removes the taste of the lobster and crab and all you taste is the butter.
Me too but I'll have the butter but not the coleslaw!
Old Dec 13th 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I always cringe when on TV I see someone drop a live lobster into a pot of boiling water to kill/cook it. To my mind it’s a most egregious act. I actually like to eat lobster but ceased doing so some years ago after I worked out in my mind how it ended up on my dinner plate. I fully realize many creatures suffer unacceptable extinguishing methods and I no longer eat those either. I’m on the verge of vegetarianism or perhaps veganism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.