Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Living and working on a Ski Resort

Living and working on a Ski Resort

Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz67 will become famous soon enoughGaz67 will become famous soon enough
Default Living and working on a Ski Resort

Hi all just wondering if anyone either moving over or already settled lived and worked all year in a Ski Resort, or maybe just lived.

Would it be suitable for a family to do this as in schooling etc, seems ideal for those who like skiing during winter and mountain biking in summer.

Cheers Gaz
Old Dec 12th 2009, 5:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working on a Ski Resort

Few of the ski resorts I know that are affordable to live in year round are incorporated municipalities, therefore amenities like schools aren't available. Larger resorts like Whistler provided schools, but you're going to find the cost of property pretty frightening.

I have several friends and relatives that live at Sun Peaks year round - only one couple has permanent work there (self employed), everyone else commutes 45 minutes into Kamloops. Year round career options are limited to either working in a maintenance/administrative/management capacity for the ski corporation that owns the hill, shop/bar work, or in more itinerant positions as a lifty or groundskeeper, though there will be several months between seasons when work is slim.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by R I C H
Few of the ski resorts I know that are affordable to live in year round are incorporated municipalities, therefore amenities like schools aren't available. Larger resorts like Whistler provided schools, but you're going to find the cost of property pretty frightening.

I have several friends and relatives that live at Sun Peaks year round - only one couple has permanent work there (self employed), everyone else commutes 45 minutes into Kamloops. Year round career options are limited to either working in a maintenance/administrative/management capacity for the ski corporation that owns the hill, shop/bar work, or in more itinerant positions as a lifty or groundskeeper, though there will be several months between seasons when work is slim.

Cheers Rich, would be Sun Peaks we would be, possibly Big White. Just exploring all available options around area, whatever we will do is gonna be totally different for us.

Some nice perks to the staff working there i noticed including Free skiing and Golfing etc, something you dont get in the UK We where up in Sun Peaks in April a few times caught end of season looks a fab place wether living , working or just goin to ski weekends etc.

Gaz
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaz67
Cheers Rich, would be Sun Peaks we would be, possibly Big White. Just exploring all available options around area, whatever we will do is gonna be totally different for us.

Some nice perks to the staff working there i noticed including Free skiing and Golfing etc, something you dont get in the UK We where up in Sun Peaks in April a few times caught end of season looks a fab place wether living , working or just goin to ski weekends etc.

Gaz
The staff perks somewhat counter the low (often minimum wages) earnings that staff get paid.

If you've skills that the Sun Peaks Corporation want on an ongoing basis (admin/management), then I can see the attraction of living there, but bear in mind there's no real supermarket, only gift/ski/golf stores and restaurants/bars there as amenities - not even a gas station. You'll have a 45 min drive to shop for anything major, and if your kids want to participate in activities like soccer, swimming or other school stuff, you'll be spending a lot of time in the car.

You'll need $300k for a basic, small 3 bed condo in Sun Peaks, and have monthly strata fees to pay. If you want to avoid strata overheads, then the choice of housing is very limited, and purchase prices much higher.

Consider too, that proper winter on the hill starts at least a month earlier than in Kamloops itself, and snow's still on the ground up there into May. Temperatures are regularly 10 degrees or more cooler.

You might find living in a community like Rayleigh a better bet - mid way between Sun Peaks and Kamloops, so an easy commute to either, and far lower housing costs.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The staff perks somewhat counter the low (often minimum wages) earnings that staff get paid.

If you've skills that the Sun Peaks Corporation want on an ongoing basis (admin/management), then I can see the attraction of living there, but bear in mind there's no real supermarket, only gift/ski/golf stores and restaurants/bars there as amenities - not even a gas station. You'll have a 45 min drive to shop for anything major, and if your kids want to participate in activities like soccer, swimming or other school stuff, you'll be spending a lot of time in the car.

You'll need $300k for a basic, small 3 bed condo in Sun Peaks, and have monthly strata fees to pay. If you want to avoid strata overheads, then the choice of housing is very limited, and purchase prices much higher.

Consider too, that proper winter on the hill starts at least a month earlier than in Kamloops itself, and snow's still on the ground up there into May. Temperatures are regularly 10 degrees or more cooler.

You might find living in a community like Rayleigh a better bet - mid way between Sun Peaks and Kamloops, so an easy commute to either, and far lower housing costs.
I would say that all this information is also true for Big White. Whilst it may only be 45 minutes into Kelowna it can be a hairy drive mid winter if you need to make it for school/shops/gas etc...
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Kimberley, BC would fit your bill. It's next door to Cranbrook and has a nice ski hill and town with a multitude of very good quality golf courses and lakes nearby.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 12:12 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Kimberley, BC would fit your bill. It's next door to Cranbrook and has a nice ski hill and town with a multitude of very good quality golf courses and lakes nearby.
Based on el_richo's (canadian) definition of next door, Invermere and Panorama spring to mind.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 1:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Based on el_richo's (canadian) definition of next door, Invermere and Panorama spring to mind.
Agreed. Both nice places. A friend recently bought a place in Panorama and is enjoying it.

Kimberley is about 10 minutes drive from Cranbrook. Cranbrook has a very useful little airport with daily flights to and from Calgary and Vancouver that we use regularly.

Invermere has a lovely lake to play on in the summer too.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:01 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Agreed. Both nice places. A friend recently bought a place in Panorama and is enjoying it.

Kimberley is about 10 minutes drive from Cranbrook. Cranbrook has a very useful little airport with daily flights to and from Calgary and Vancouver that we use regularly.

Invermere has a lovely lake to play on in the summer too.
Personally I prefer Kimberley to Panorama, but Inveremere over Cranbrook. That said Sunshine/Louise/Kicking Horse knock both resorts into a Cocked Hat and Canmore wipes the floor with either Cranbrook or Invermere
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:03 pm
Beep

Personally I prefer Kimberley to Panorama, but Inveremere over Cranbrook. That said Sunshine/Louise/Kicking Horse knock both resorts into a Cocked Hat and Canmore wipes the floor with either Cranbrook or Invermere
Agreed again. Canmore is a lovely place for sure.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanx guys i wasnt familiar with any ski resorts or areas apart from Kamloops and Kelowna, been checking out the other areas you have mentioned. Theres sooo many nice places all over Canada and BC

Have to see what work in these areas in my industry there are in order to look at further afield than Kamloops, but we as a family are open to where we end up

Gaz
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gaz67
Thanx guys i wasnt familiar with any ski resorts or areas apart from Kamloops and Kelowna, been checking out the other areas you have mentioned. Theres sooo many nice places all over Canada and BC

Have to see what work in these areas in my industry there are in order to look at further afield than Kamloops, but we as a family are open to where we end up

Gaz
Gaz, Not sure about the size(s) of the resorts round Kamloops/Kelowna, BUT I'm pretty sure you're more likely to find work in the Canmore/Banff/Sunshine/Louise 'corridor'.

Basically Mate you have Calgary (1million plus) then 40/45 minutes west is Kananaskis (VERY quiet in the summer though) maybe 20/25 west again is Canmore (year round and residential) another 15/20 minutes Banff (again year, round BIG 'posh' hotels which do LOTS of 'functions' conferences etc) 10/15 minutes to Sunshine (one slope side hotel) 25? minutes to Lake Louise (has a Fairmont Hotel which operates year round and a few smaller hotels).

With your 'experience' I'd be giving it serious consideration.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

im typing this now from sunshine village....the pay is piss poor in all ski resorts but its the experience that is something different altogether.

accommodation in banff is expensive and limited (canmore is nice but its a horrible commute to sunshine - 30-35min each way) - general living expenses are expensive too (tourist town) but then i spent the day in Golden, bc cruising the backcountry by skidoo and it makes it all worth while.

i love it but it definitely isnt a lifestyle for a family!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

check out Fernie as well
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:17 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Gaz, Not sure about the size(s) of the resorts round Kamloops/Kelowna, BUT I'm pretty sure you're more likely to find work in the Canmore/Banff/Sunshine/Louise 'corridor'.

Basically Mate you have Calgary (1million plus) then 40/45 minutes west is Kananaskis (VERY quiet in the summer though) maybe 20/25 west again is Canmore (year round and residential) another 15/20 minutes Banff (again year, round BIG 'posh' hotels which do LOTS of 'functions' conferences etc) 10/15 minutes to Sunshine (one slope side hotel) 25? minutes to Lake Louise (has a Fairmont Hotel which operates year round and a few smaller hotels).

With your 'experience' I'd be giving it serious consideration.
good grief that sounds good. perhaps i should get back into events...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.