Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Living the dream or not????

Living the dream or not????

Old May 28th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Living the dream or not????

Originally Posted by iaink
How come soccer in Calgary is $400+ a kid, but in Stirling Ontario is only $75? for the season?

Maybe the soccer club in Calgary is taking advantage of the Hargreaves fame....i.e come play at Calgary Foothills SC...where Owen Hargreaves first got started.

Here in Ottawa, I think it is $260 for the summer season for myself and our two kids.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:37 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Our dream was more a yearning for an adventure. It was a good time in our lives, the idea began to grow, we didn't want to have regrets ........so we did it.
Everything went swimmingly, from the sale of our UK home, husbands reccee trip to Alberta, the subsequent job offer, pre-arranged rental pad here, and then purchasing our own beautiful home (before the prices skyrocketed)

On paper........things were as good as we could ever have hoped for.

From day one of landing, hubby has struggled with his feelings about the place. I was pumped and ready to throw ourselves into living the new life to the full. I gradually brought him round, we had endless trips to the Mountains, enjoyed new pastimes, travelled to BC, fullfilled my longing to visit Vancouver and the Island. Did and saw as much as we could.

Yet, here we are.........3 years later, making plans to head home. As I said, not because things haven't worked out. Purely because we are at that point, when it feels 'right' to go back to all the Englishness that we miss (particularly my husband). My eldest son is 8 now, and we want to get back before he really starts to establish those closer relationships with his peers. We have already had a few tears over it, and it'll only get worse.

Plus, we really can't imagine staying here long term and living through winter after winter. Its not so much the temps as the duration. October to April is a long time without seeing any greenery.

We had considered trying BC, as that may just eliminate the 'greenery' issue we have with AB.........but what it comes down to, is the fact we are English. We miss all those many and varied aspects of UK life that make you who you are and shape you as a person. Plus the whole family and friends aspect, which is a toughie !

I would never discourage anyone from giving it a go. Life is for living. Don't burn bridges in the UK though. You never know, you may want to return one day !

Last edited by R2D2; May 29th 2008 at 1:39 am.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:47 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
How come soccer in Calgary is $400+ a kid, but in Stirling Ontario is only $75? for the season?

What possible justification is there for that, surely there are more kids in Calgary so economies of scale would apply? Someone somewhere is making a financial killing I suspect.
A couple of community run soccer programs I checked are much more reasonable. One ranges from $30 for U5 to $70 for U16 the other is $85 for U6 mixed to $140 for U10 mixed.
Old May 29th 2008, 4:00 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One doesn't actually need history, pubs, family, architecture or to be surrounded by natural beauty.
That didn't seem to be the sentiments you brought back from your last trip to Ye Olde Worlde Chavtowne Historicale Island ? I distinctly remember teary-eyed tomes about greenery and civilisation and warm beer and cricket and a lack of plaid.

R.
Old May 29th 2008, 4:09 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I think the natural beauty might have two legs....
Old May 29th 2008, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
That didn't seem to be the sentiments you brought back from your last trip to Ye Olde Worlde Chavtowne Historicale Island ? I distinctly remember teary-eyed tomes about greenery and civilisation and warm beer and cricket and a lack of plaid.

R.

Oh, life would be better with all of that, no question. That's the trade off, intangibles in the UK vs. consumer durables abroad. In Canada one can have a much bigger truck than would be viable in the UK.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Canada one can have a much bigger truck than would be viable in the UK.
The wider roads here in Canada allow for a bigger behometh than in the UK.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Also the lack of hedges allows means there's no requirement to keep all four (or six) wheels on the road at once.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:10 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Behemoth.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Behemoth.
Well spotted on my typo.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:26 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Well spotted on my typo.
Sorry. I'm in one of "those" moods this morning.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

getmeoutahere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I've been here since September 1999 when I moved here with my Canadian OH. It was never a dream to live in Canada I was 25 and had nothing to lose by moving countries it was an adventure (a very badly planned adventure).

We will be moving back to the UK on July 13th but although it hasn't been easy here at times I don't regret moving, but for us it's just time to go home. Nowhere is prefect but I'd rather be in a imprefect place closer to my family especially with 2 small kids and a OH who has to work away from home for weeks at a time.
hey,
im 25 and planning on moving all by myself to canada, with no support from an OH, from your experience would you recommend it or hang on here in the UK?
Your true honet opinion is very welcome,
x
Old May 29th 2008, 2:04 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by getmeoutahere
hey,
im 25 and planning on moving all by myself to canada, with no support from an OH, from your experience would you recommend it or hang on here in the UK?
Your true honet opinion is very welcome,
x
I went from Canada to England and back again on my own. Lots of people migrate solo. There is no reason not to. The flipside of having no support from an OH is that you don't have an OH pestering you and you can do it all YOUR OWN WAY!

Go for it, it'll put hair on your chest.
Old May 29th 2008, 2:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Go for it, it'll put hair on your chest.
...and here I thought it was eating bread crusts that did that.

At least that's what my mum used to tell me.

Live and learn.
Old May 29th 2008, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

getmeoutahere is an unknown quantity at this point

sweet,
thanks for your reply, think i just need that kick up the arse to do it.
So how come you returned? Did it work out for you? any regrets?
thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.