Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Living the Dream.......how close to reality?

Living the Dream.......how close to reality?

Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living the Dream.......how close to reality?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's a bit like all those people that want to leave their comfort zones. Why do they want to do that? I like my comfort zone thank you very much.
If you want an emigration challenge move to southern Sudan or the highlands of Irian Jaya, but Calgary or Toronto?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:29 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I do notice a trend on these types of threads, that the gung-ho living the dream, ski-yogurt types are ones who aren't here yet whereas the "I'm living" ones tend to be ones who are here, doing similar things, earning a living etc that they were doing in the UK but perhaps, in some instances, in better/different surroundings.
I am not there yet ( hope I can say 'yet') but me and OH (who is there currently) echo what Funky Florist said. Some people just need to get out and do something different - they don't expect it to be a dreamworld but will make the best of whatever they encounter. We all hope it will yield a good life in the end, of course, but then we have a good life here so for us it isn't about looking for a 'better' life.
I don't think that there is anything wrong with having high expectations but we definitely wanted to make sure that we were working on achievable levels of expectation and we are still striving all the time to collect evidence to inform our plans.
I really love what I do and I hope to be able to keep doing it in Canada eventually. But I know people in my job who have been in the same workplace and the same job for 20 years - they are happy and have never felt the urge to move on. I am just not one of them. I don't expect them to understand why we want to emigrate any more than I understand how they can stay still and yet perfectly happy in one place for the rest of their lives.
Maybe it is the thrill of not knowing what could happen. Maybe it is the desire to be in control of your life, to break out of the norm and what everyone expects every now and again and be something different - in a new country with new people and places you can reinvent yourself if you want to.
Maybe some people just agree with the maxim, "It isn't the destination, it's the journey." Some people like me just like variety and change. Not everyone is trying to achieve a dream at the end - for some people maybe just doing it is the dream.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
...any more than I understand how they can stay still and yet perfectly happy in one place for the rest of their lives.
One day you will envy those people.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on you Victor Meldrews! Of course it will be this way, it is human nature, I am guilty as charged, emigrating in a months time, so not there yet. I have been on some amazing holidays to BC, so it is all lovely and rose tinted right now, I am fully aware that once the daily routine kicks in and I find myself in a strange country, not knowing anyone, working hard and it aint all whale watching and skiing on a daily basis that I will no doubt struggle some days.

All I know is it has been a dream (yep the D word) for the last 5 years to give this ago, and what the heck is life all about if we can't aspire to something?

If it all crashes around my ears, well at least when I am 80, I won't think what if?

Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be more of an inspiring challenge to try and become a high court judge or a neurosurgeon or something a bit more, well, challenging than just moving house?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Wouldn't it be more of an inspiring challenge to try and become a high court judge or a neurosurgeon or something a bit more, well, challenging than just moving house?
Well it is just horses for courses...besides which the whole wig and gown is such a bad look for me, and needles make me feel funny
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:47 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't find it that different here. I don't struggle, I don't find everyday life especially hard. It's kind of the same - which is both good and bad as I'm not very adventurous anyway.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:47 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
One day you will envy those people.
No, I think they are boring.
At one time I thought I was that sort of person - needing stability, wanting to control my environment and getting stressed out by change and the worry of what might happen. But I am 40 now and I have had plenty of time to realise that what I like is to have change and be able to enjoy responding to it.
But each to their own - if people are happy with sameness and certainty, then that's fine. We all need some of that in our lives, for sure; it is just how much of it we need that varies.
I have to wonder what made anyone emigrate if they didn't have either the desire for change or the dream of a new life. You can't exactly stumble into emigration.
Perhaps some people just moved because their partner wanted it and they agreed for an easy life, or because their job demanded it or because their family went? If so, then they can't understand the desire to emigrate because they never had it, they just went along with someone else's ideas.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Well it is just horses for courses...besides which the whole wig and gown is such a bad look for me, and needles make me feel funny
Each to their own, but the notion that its such a challenge to move to a relatively well-off English speaking western country is a bit challenging to me.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:59 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Done well, don't ski or eat yogurt though. Earned a living, had and continue to have fun and still work when I want to. Done way more than would have done in the UK, live in the mountains with spectacular views. Don't get to fly as much as I would like anymore, but now its on my dime. Guess it pretty much lived up to what we had hoped, some ups and downs (in my line of work it was always good if there were an equal number of each).
How do you know you have done more than you would have done in the UK?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Each to their own, but the notion that its such a challenge to move to a relatively well-off English speaking western country is a bit challenging to me.
Sure feels like a challenge to me right now, as I leave my well paid job, my beautiful house, my daughter, the rest of my family and friends etc.

Edited to add - Daughter is 20 by the way so not an abandoned child!

Last edited by ducktastic; Oct 18th 2010 at 8:02 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Sure feels like a challenge to me right now, as I leave my well paid job, my beautiful house, my daughter, the rest of my family and friends etc.

Edited to add - Daughter is 20 by the way so not an abandoned child!
Have you been watching that Julia Roberts film?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have you been watching that Julia Roberts film?

I am definitely doing the 'eat' part of it!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Generally, I work, pay the bills, and do a few things I would not be able to do in the UK ( mostly involving snow ). Other than that, it is the same stuff with different surroundings than when I lived in the Cotswolds.

I guess one difference could be location in Canada - I am nowhere near decent mountains and that would add decent skiing into the equation.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I think they are boring.
At one time I thought I was that sort of person - needing stability, wanting to control my environment and getting stressed out by change and the worry of what might happen. But I am 40 now and I have had plenty of time to realise that what I like is to have change and be able to enjoy responding to it.
No need to be so judgemental

Well, having been here a couple of years and having lived in lots of places, I do envy people who've lived in the same place for 20+ years who know everyone and have life long friendships with people, people who can go into the local pub and know pretty much everyone. My parents have that - and I look at the lives they have now they are in their 60's and I hope I can do as well when I get to that age.

I have to wonder what made anyone emigrate if they didn't have either the desire for change or the dream of a new life. You can't exactly stumble into emigration.
Perhaps some people just moved because their partner wanted it and they agreed for an easy life, or because their job demanded it or because their family went? If so, then they can't understand the desire to emigrate because they never had it, they just went along with someone else's ideas.
I can't say I understand this. I immigrated here because I came here in the early 90's, and liked it (pull rather than push in BE speak). I had no desire to emigrate for it's own sake or for the challenge. Just as well really, because like Oink says, living here is not even remotely challenging - it is very comfortable though. I like that about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.