Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Live like you're in a canoe.

Live like you're in a canoe.

Old May 4th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live like you're in a canoe.

Originally Posted by printer
Take even longer in a canoe

You could put a set of wheels on it and an engine I guess
Old May 4th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indeed. I did bicycle occasionally when we lived in the Beach and my bike's still in the hallway here, at the office. I rode because I enjoyed it but it's a dangerous and unhealthy way to get around as well as being surprisingly expensive.
Expensive? What, you mean in hospital bills?
Old May 4th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666

You could put a set of wheels on it and an engine I guess
Would it be called a carnoe then?
Old May 4th 2007, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive? What, you mean in hospital bills?
That's a factor. One of my daughters was knocked off her bike by a car a while back and it cost a bundle in medical bills and lost earnings.

However I was thinking more about theft and fines. Firstly you have to consider that the cost of having a car here is mainly fixed (insurance and depreciation) whether or you use it doesn't very much alter the cost so, if you bicycle, all costs are marginal. I pay about $300 for each bike at the stolen bike mart in Christie Pits, they last a couple of months before being stolen again. That's $150/month if you count only bicycling months or $75 if you annualise.

The fine for bicycling with no helmet is $75, the cops give you one of those if they want you for something else that would be more bother to them (running light, speeding, etc), I get one per year (but only bicycle once a week). A (white) friend got busted for drunken bicycling which was a more serious fine but I suspect he must have done something really offensive after being stopped.

Anyway, it's not ruinously expensive to bicycle here but it's not free either.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would it be called a carnoe then?
Or a canauto

Have you exchanged contracts yet? When's the move from the house?
(Sorry to peeps who's thread this is)
Old May 4th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a factor. One of my daughters was knocked off her bike by a car a while back and it cost a bundle in medical bills and lost earnings.

However I was thinking more about theft and fines.
Anyway, it's not ruinously expensive to bicycle here but it's not free either.
So the low down is ride bikes for the pleasure principle, unless you work very close by.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Or a canauto

Have you exchanged contracts yet? When's the move from the house?
(Sorry to peeps who's thread this is)
You must keep up Steve, so i will refer you to my previous thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446416
Old May 4th 2007, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So the low down is ride bikes for the pleasure principle, unless you work very close by.

I would say so, yes. Note though that some cities, such as Toronto and Ottawa, have very good bike paths. I was able to ride all but two blocks of the five miles downtown through parks with no traffic. Riding on the road here, especially roads with streetcar tracks, is only for the suicidal.
Old May 4th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

You must keep up Steve, so i will refer you to my previous thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446416
It still doesn't answer my questions!
Old May 4th 2007, 2:08 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simon876
While we're on the ECO theme - why not ditch that car a bit more often and dust off that bike that's been sitting in your shed / garage for months?

My car is a bike and my feet but that's because I'm greedy capitalist. I have saved and invested a bundle over the last 7 years of being carless... no actual car to buy, fuel, insure, fix, clean and I make 100 a month renting out my condo's parking stall.

I hate the environment. Shave it and pave it into one big bike path I say.

Old May 4th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

It still doesn't answer my questions!
Yeah you're right, i'm stupid.

We did exchange contracts that day and completion is 25th May. Movers are booked for 23rd and 24th.
Plan to fly out sometime week commencing 4th June.
Old May 4th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah you're right, i'm stupid.

We did exchange contracts that day and completion is 25th May. Movers are booked for 23rd and 24th.
Plan to fly out sometime week commencing 4th June.
Jees one month to go
Don't forget to take a laptop and give a running commentary on what happens.
Old May 7th 2007, 4:24 am
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

Take even longer in a canoe
You can go faster in a kayak.

bad.andy