Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Letters of consent and travelling with children

Letters of consent and travelling with children

Old May 28th 2014, 3:05 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letters of consent and travelling with children

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Unfortunately policing or other law enforcements are bound by the laws they enact

"Unfortunately"!!!!!! good grief. No it should be fortunately otherwise we have cowboys doing what they want where they want to who they want.

How do we feel about the Police conducting their Check Stops over the long weekends or Christmas period. The intention is to catch drunk drivers.
Without these stops officers patrolling the streets at 2.30 am have to find a reason to pull a vehicle over be it containing one person or 4 persons and the easiest way to do this is by following the vehicle and hoping the driver commits a moving vehicle offence of which there are many.

Which is all perfectly legitimate as you would either view a moving violation, or, gain reasonable suspicion due to a driving pattern.

How many charges have been thrown out of court by Law Enforcement Agencies not following procedures e.g. having a search warrant etc.

Lots, and this is a good thing, as police are being held accountable and not being allowed to go on fishing expeditions.

As we are the only ones working at the Border then do you care about child abduction and want this type of offence to be stopped?

Yes of course, but this is not the point. See below.

We process over 90 million passengers per year yet Im betting very few cases would ever be challenged when we carry out this type of examination.

Just because people do not complain does not make it right. I would counter the main reason no-one says anything is they want to get onto their current flight and don't want to be flagged as a problem for future travel.

Ask why so many Amber Alerts are issued each year within Canada and the reasons why they were issued.

I personally issued an Amber Alert two years ago and it had nothing to do with an International child abduction.

So when its your kid who gets abducted you would be OK with no Law Enforcement Agencies being on the lookout for them and there has been little time for a warrant to be issued?
Ultimately what we come to is noble cause corruption, the end justifying the means, this is the basis of all your arguments. When you enter this realm you risk losing all your moral and ethical reasoning. Do we torture confessions out of people? Do we imprison people indefinitely without charge or reason? What is that saying... when they came for my neighbor I did nothing, etc, and then they came for me. No thanks. Don't want to police like that or live like that.
Old May 28th 2014, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by rae
Ultimately what we come to is noble cause corruption, the end justifying the means, this is the basis of all your arguments. When you enter this realm you risk losing all your moral and ethical reasoning. Do we torture confessions out of people? Do we imprison people indefinitely without charge or reason? What is that saying... when they came for my neighbor I did nothing, etc, and then they came for me. No thanks. Don't want to police like that or live like that.
Just what we need around here...another Philosophy graduate.

The whole point of statutory discretion in law or policy enforcement is just that, its discretionary.

What a rambling thread.
Old May 28th 2014, 4:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When my sons Father and I separated we agreed that our son would spend all his school holidays with his Dad as he still lived abroad and we had moved back to the UK.

Both of us signed an agreement which was ratified by the court. Each time he was due to fly we would both sign (and have witnessed) our agreement to him being out of the country between those dates and a copy would be kept in his passport. Failure to comply with the return date without agreement would have meant an alert being put out.

We both felt that this safeguarded our son and ourselves. After my sons Father died, I kept a copy of his death certificate with me if I wished to take my son abroad.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 28th 2014 at 4:09 am.
Old May 28th 2014, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fuss is about if CBSA should have the legal right to enquire if a parent (not both) if applicable can and should be questioned if entering or leaving Canada travelling with children.
One poster is making arguments against this procedure and several others are saying its fine. Others are pointing out that due to other countries issues its not always that simple as getting a letter or court document.
The number of complicated cases are very few compared to the thousands if not millions of times CBSA encounter this every year with probably over 98% being resolved after a few minutes.
Even the poster who suggested and gave a story about their dealings with CBSA complains in an open forum but sought no legal remedy when faced with this situation. Why is this one wonders perhaps their view would not be shared by the majority or it would be a very weak case if pursued bearing in mind the intentions of what took place.
Im surprised at this as the objects clearly state

Program objectives
The protection and recovery of children at risk is part of Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s commitment to

ensuring and securing the best interest of a child;
facilitating family reunification; and
protecting the health and safety of Canadians and maintaining the security of Canadian society.
Since the OMC program began in 1986, over 6,000 missing children have been found. Customs and immigration officers alone have reunited 1,300 children with their parents or legal guardians.

So Im guessing those 1300 are quite happy with us and if those who aren't happy then feel free to bring your case to court.
Old May 28th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I have no problem giving or carrying a letter if it makes things smoother and easier.

I'm curious though - what would be the case if the child is traveling with both parents, but one has a different name? Or both, if names had changed.
Old May 28th 2014, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Personally, I have no problem giving or carrying a letter if it makes things smoother and easier.

I'm curious though - what would be the case if the child is traveling with both parents, but one has a different name? Or both, if names had changed.
CBSA is only interested in is the child at risk or potentially being abducted.
We deal with hundreds of cases like this every day and we accept parents and children have different names or from other relationships and in the vast majority of cases documentation or questioning results in it being a non issue.
Old May 28th 2014, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

There is all this talk of children traveling with 1 out of 2 parents... What of a teenager my age traveling alone. What sort of questioning would avail to that, whether by CBSA or any EU border guards? Would I need to carry a letter of some sort or would both my passports suffice as I have right of abode in both Canada and the EU... ?
Old May 28th 2014, 1:33 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

If you're asked by a CBSA guard "Do you have chocolate?" you're basically doomed if you do and doomed if you don't.

At this point, it's probably best to throw the chocolate bar on the floor, to distract the guard, then make a run for it.

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
What of a teenager my age traveling alone. What sort of questioning would avail to that, whether by CBSA or any EU border guards? Would I need to carry a letter of some sort or would both my passports suffice as I have right of abode in both Canada and the EU... ?
Old May 28th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
There is all this talk of children traveling with 1 out of 2 parents... What of a teenager my age traveling alone. What sort of questioning would avail to that, whether by CBSA or any EU border guards? Would I need to carry a letter of some sort or would both my passports suffice as I have right of abode in both Canada and the EU... ?
I would have thought you would need to follow the guidelines for unaccompanied minors.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:17 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought you would need to follow the guidelines for unaccompanied minors.
I would have been mortified to have been treated as an unaccompanied minor at 15. That's for little kids and preteens...

To Gozitanguy, There shouldn't be any issues for a 15-year-old travelling alone with appropriate documentation. As Canada has no exit controls, CBSA won't trouble you on leaving the country (and your Maltese passport should ensure the airline doesn't make a fuss), and on your way back in at the end of the summer, as FL has said, they can't do much to keep you if you're a Canadian citizen returning home. Might be worthwhile, for the sake of belt-and-braces, to have a letter from your parents explaining that you go with their blessing - although presumably they'll be coming to the airport to wave you off so will be able to talk to airline staff at check-in if necessary.
Old May 29th 2014, 12:03 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
Just what we need around here...another Philosophy graduate.

The whole point of statutory discretion in law or policy enforcement is just that, its discretionary.

What a rambling thread.
Actually I have been a police officer for 18yrs and have been an Instructor in Law with the Home Office at a National Police training college, Major Crimes Detective, Forensic Interviewer and U/C operator amongst other things.
Noble cause corruption is well documented, not something philosophical, it happens and training to counter against it is included in major case management.
Discretion is vital in policing, its name though should not be abused to cover up bad/illegal practice.
Old May 29th 2014, 12:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
But if they are all foreign nationals (not Cad citizen, PR or Status Indian) then these are easy to deal with as they have no right of entry to Canada.
If they can't satisfy CBSA then CBSA don't have to let them in.
But that's my point - it is impossible to satisfy CBSA from a legal standpoint depending on the family law of the country they are from.

Im guessing these types of cases are very few and lets not forget we can also interview the child with the parent out of earshot who might negate or confirm suspicions of abduction.
Did you read post #51?

Not few and far between by any means, it happens to my friend every time she enters. Her son was too young to begin with to be interviewed and now he has a developmental disability and wouldn't be reliable in the slightest if questioned by CBSA.

Pretty much every single unmarried mother who enters from the UK with her child has custody rights - and the father does not. How often does that happen at main POEs - pretty much every day I'm willing to bet.

CIC even have a manual about all this so rather than me post answers read it yourselves
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf21-eng.pdf
Which is deeply flawed:

Officers should be aware that a letter of permission from an absent parent is not required where either of the following documents are presented: a birth certificate listing the father as ‘unknown’ or custody papers indicating that the travelling parent has sole custody
Current British birth certificates don't say that AFAIK, they just list the mother and typically there are no "custody" papers. Simply giving birth out of wedlock typically means the mother has sole custody. What does she produce? There's nothing to be gotten, a lawyer can't vouch for a complete stranger.

The CIC guidance is predicated on the concept that parents automatically have parental rights at birth - which is not always the case.

Like I said, this is not some theory, I've seen it in action. I got called into secondary to confirm what my friend was saying to the inspector (after 20 minutes). "What do you know about the father of this child?" Like I'm supposed to know!

Second time she did get a letter from a solicitor summarizing the law and explaining why it was impossible to get a consent letter, which the inspector stood there and read, but that was quite an expensive letter to get. You can't realistically expect everyone to do that.

It's a flawed procedure, the reason it's not a specific regulation is because it can't be framed in terms of regulations, no regulation could be written taking into account the laws of anywhere someone might come from.
Old May 29th 2014, 12:09 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Which reminds me - my friend's child has the last name of the father, not her last name. Once again an old-fashioned assumption that children born out of wedlock get the mother's name causes her problems. Automatic assumption the father must be somehow still in the picture. Nope.
Old May 29th 2014, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Oakvillian is right ; thats for kids 12 and under usually, and set by the airline, not the immigration people. The immigration people can't detain me in the country / prevent me from leaving / entering a country because i am an unaccompanied minor. If i'm with no one i'm obviously leaving of my own will

It actually depends on the airline whether they would let you travel alone at 15. But most are pretty good and i'll be 16 by the time I go so that will make it even easier apparently.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I would have been mortified to have been treated as an unaccompanied minor at 15. That's for little kids and preteens...

To Gozitanguy, There shouldn't be any issues for a 15-year-old travelling alone with appropriate documentation. As Canada has no exit controls, CBSA won't trouble you on leaving the country (and your Maltese passport should ensure the airline doesn't make a fuss), and on your way back in at the end of the summer, as FL has said, they can't do much to keep you if you're a Canadian citizen returning home. Might be worthwhile, for the sake of belt-and-braces, to have a letter from your parents explaining that you go with their blessing - although presumably they'll be coming to the airport to wave you off so will be able to talk to airline staff at check-in if necessary.
Thanks
Old May 29th 2014, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_
Which reminds me - my friend's child has the last name of the father, not her last name. Once again an old-fashioned assumption that children born out of wedlock get the mother's name causes her problems. Automatic assumption the father must be somehow still in the picture. Nope.

If they wanted they could always change the name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.