British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Letter of recommendation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/letter-recommendation-890536/)

Gozit Jan 23rd 2017 6:41 pm

Letter of recommendation
 
So i've asked an employer for a letter of recommendation and they agreed, however their recommendation was for me to write the letter myself and them to sign it... All fun and great, but i've no idea how to write one :lol:

Google didn't really turn up anything I thought reliable, so BE is the next stop... Cheers

BritInParis Jan 23rd 2017 6:46 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 
What do you want to be recommended for?

Gozit Jan 23rd 2017 6:55 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12159404)
What do you want to be recommended for?

Its a general letter of recommendation for my co-op class. Part of the summative assignment is getting this letter from your employer. Something along the lines of good performance and being an asset to the organisation as a whole.

Shard Jan 23rd 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 
Seriously Gozit?

9 Sample Excellent Recommendation Letters for Your Job

beckiwoo Jan 24th 2017 4:32 am

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12159400)

Google didn't really turn up anything I thought reliable, so BE is the next stop... Cheers


Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12159423)

Obviously not looking hard enough...;)

Gozit Jan 24th 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 
Thanks guys that will do.

I suppose the assignment is looking for more of a generalised letter, since i'm not actually applying to anywhere, but that doesn't really exist.

not2old Jan 24th 2017 7:07 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 
Gozit, you are a whiz at googling

OK, being serious, try the following

Recommend a Teenager For a Job (Strong Recommendation Letter)

Then there is N20's letter of recommendation for Gozit.

E&OE

Review this in parts or whole to use, together with other sources or from a google search that you have

Always on the company letterhead & generally a department Manager

Mr Gozit has informed me that he is looking to gain a co-op job placement as part of his high school program . He has made this request for a supporting recommendation to his candidacy placement at President Trump High School in Milton Ontario

I have known Gozit for the past 2 years where he has worked part time at XYZ as a store clerk. As his manager/supervisor I can vouch for him as being an upstanding individual. He is bright, conscientiousness, has a positive attitude, works well with others, takes direction, learns quickly. He is always on time & completes his tasks given to him well.

I therefore recommend Gozit for placement in the co-op program at xyz 'playing computer games', and I'm 100% sure that you will find Gozit a remarkable, talented individual that will fit well.

Kindly contact the undersigned should you have any questions in regard to this letter

Yours truly

N20

BE Member

905 123-4567

BritInParis Jan 24th 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12160447)
Gozit, you are a whiz at googling

OK, being serious, try the following

Recommend a Teenager For a Job (Strong Recommendation Letter)

Then there is N20's letter of recommendation for Gozit.

E&OE

Review this in parts or whole to use, together with other sources or from a google search that you have

Always on the company letterhead & generally a department Manager

Mr Gozit has informed me that he is looking to gain a co-op job placement as part of his high school program . He has made this request for a supporting recommendation to his candidacy placement at President Trump High School in Milton Ontario

I have known Gozit for the past 2 years where he has worked part time at XYZ as a store clerk. As his manager/supervisor I can vouch for him as being an upstanding individual. He is bright, conscientiousness, has a positive attitude, works well with others, takes direction, learns quickly. He is always on time & completes his tasks given to him well.

I therefore recommend Gozit for placement in the co-op program at xyz 'playing computer games', and I'm 100% sure that you will find Gozit a remarkable, talented individual that will fit well.

Kindly contact the undersigned should you have any questions in regard to this letter

Yours truly

N20

BE Member

905 123-4567

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/...7/65860837.jpg

bats Jan 24th 2017 11:00 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 
People know those letters are nonsense anyway. If you get one all it means is that you showed up and didnt do anything terrible,

MillieF Jan 25th 2017 1:06 am

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12160624)
People know those letters are nonsense anyway. If you get one all it means is that you showed up and didnt do anything terrible,

I must have had a thousand of those in my life...but nobody ever wants to see them...quite rightly:thumbup: Now living in NB nothing counts unless you have a family member living in the company that you want to work in :thumbdown:

BristolUK Jan 25th 2017 3:06 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 
Not that I ever asked but I was given to understand that my old employer never said anything more than satisfactory service.

not2old Jan 25th 2017 4:41 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12160624)
People know those letters are nonsense anyway. If you get one all it means is that you showed up and didnt do anything terrible,

In the case of the OP as a student just wanting someone that is not a relative to provide a reference or support letter to vouch for him that he is of good character, clean, respectible, responsible, is knowledgeabale at www, can do tasks well, works with others & isn't tardy... its just basic.

Have any of you had that phone call from someone looking to get information from you as a reference for xyz who appied for a job/position or wanting to enter a program, even a volunteer position, maybe a membership?

Take it that a phone reference could be translated to a written reference or supporting letter.

Typical questions on the telephone reference check could be...in the following, in any order, mix it up.

'Hello, am I speaking with Mr. N2o?

Your name has been given as a reference for Mr/Ms xyz, who has applied for a position/role/function/volunteer/co-op placement at Acme. Would you have a few minutes to answer a few questions about xyz?

- Do you know Mr/Ms xyz, if so, how long have you known them?

- How do you know them, in what function or role?

- What is your functional relationship with them, do you work with them directly, are you a supervisor/manager or in a social setting or both?

- How long have they been with Ace organization, or been at the school/insitution?

- What job or functional role or responsibilty does xyz have now or any that you can provide details on from your knowledge of them?

- Would you say this person is good at what they do, if so, could you provide a specific point or task that you are aware of?

- Does this person work well with others?

- Does this person complete tasks well & on time?

- Are they a self starter?

- Do they ever not complete a task?

- Do they exhibit any difficulties in their work or surroundings?

- How is this persons apperance, time keeping?

- Do they stop & start work by the clock?

- Have you ever seen this person lose their temper?

- What if any would you say xyz weakness is, either work wise or in a social setting?

- Do you have any knowledge of xyz education, academic background or qualifications - if so, what is it that you can tell me?

bats Jan 25th 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12161379)
In the case of the OP as a student just wanting someone that is not a relative to provide a reference or support letter to vouch for him that he is of good character, clean, respectible, responsible, is knowledgeabale at www, can do tasks well, works with others & isn't tardy... its just basic.

Have any of you had that phone call from someone looking to get information from you as a reference for xyz who appied for a job/position or wanting to enter a program, even a volunteer position, maybe a membership?

Take it that a phone reference could be translated to a written reference or supporting letter.

Typical questions on the telephone reference check could be...in the following, in any order, mix it up.

'Hello, am I speaking with Mr. N2o?

Your name has been given as a reference for Mr/Ms xyz, who has applied for a position/role/function/volunteer/co-op placement at Acme. Would you have a few minutes to answer a few questions about xyz?

- Do you know Mr/Ms xyz, if so, how long have you known them?

- How do you know them, in what function or role?

- What is your functional relationship with them, do you work with them directly, are you a supervisor/manager or in a social setting or both?

- How long have they been with Ace organization, or been at the school/insitution?

- What job or functional role or responsibilty does xyz have now or any that you can provide details on from your knowledge of them?

- Would you say this person is good at what they do, if so, could you provide a specific point or task that you are aware of?

- Does this person work well with others?

- Does this person complete tasks well & on time?

- Are they a self starter?

- Do they ever not complete a task?

- Do they exhibit any difficulties in their work or surroundings?

- How is this persons apperance, time keeping?

- Do they stop & start work by the clock?

- Have you ever seen this person lose their temper?

- What if any would you say xyz weakness is, either work wise or in a social setting?

- Do you have any knowledge of xyz education, academic background or qualifications - if so, what is it that you can tell me?

What's your point?

not2old Jan 25th 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12161597)
What's your point?

in the following


Originally Posted by bats (Post 12160624)
People know those letters are nonsense anyway. If you get one all it means is that you showed up and didnt do anything terrible,

was adding to my previous post 'sample letter' for the OP 'the student' who was asking for some help.

Not the "people know those letters are nonsense anyway"



.

bats Jan 25th 2017 9:34 pm

Re: Letter of recommendation
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12161630)
in the following



was adding to my previous post 'sample letter' for the OP 'the student' who was asking for some help.

Not the "people know those letters are nonsense anyway"



.

Well they are nonsense. All Gozit needs is a vague letter to go in his Co-op placement file st school so he gets some marks for it and graduates.

No employer can be arsed to write this so the teacher will know the student wrote it for the employer to sign. Or for some students to sign, er, for the employer.

Your detailed reply was admirable and kind but unnecessary.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:07 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.