Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

the language barrier!!!

the language barrier!!!

Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the language barrier!!!

Originally Posted by daft batty
Its a T2 or a T4 or something.You get it when you leave your current employment and need it for social security, the GIRO cheque, previously known as the dole. You get a Giro cheque as you can cash it at the post office if you dont have a bank account, or one in debit so you cant draw on the cheque.

Or so I believe.

Its a T4, a Canadian just told me so it's true
But don't you get a T4 every year here, and only get a P45 when you leave?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:26 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
But don't you get a T4 every year here, and only get a P45 when you leave?
Yeah, T4=P60, I thought - annual statement of earnings and tax deducted in previous tax year. Not sure what the equivalent of P45 is in Canada, as I've only had the one job since arriving...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If'n yous gat dah pogy den lord tunderin' geezus, biy pass me da screech.

Mr_P. There is nothing to be abhored more than an Englishman putting on a fake (regional) Canadian accent. Please kindly desist.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:31 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

annie, my wife is addicted so I have been forced to buy a 52 inch Big Screen, Baseball is a few weeks away, life is good.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:32 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annie3-4
Oh piss off....who asked you?

Now that's a phrase understood by the Canadians.....but....erm......wasn't it you who started that other thread about this very thing? Why do we keep repeating.......I say, why do we keep repeating ourselves.............help........ the record's stuck, the record's stuck, the record's stuck, stuck, stuck......
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Mr_P. There is nothing to be abhored more than an Englishman putting on a fake (regional) Canadian accent. Please kindly desist.
But it's not really that much of a stretch from my native Scouse.

Sorry I'll get me coat.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:34 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Yeah, T4=P60, I thought - annual statement of earnings and tax deducted in previous tax year. Not sure what the equivalent of P45 is in Canada, as I've only had the one job since arriving...
The form that you receive when you've left a job in Canada is a Record of Employment (formal) or pink slip (informal).
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

My hubby (pre-me of course), use to talk about P45ing his ex-girlfriends (dumping them) - so he'll have to change that now to the Canadian equivalent I guess...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Now that's a phrase understood by the Canadians.....but....erm......wasn't it you who started that other thread about this very thing? Why do we keep repeating.......I say, why do we keep repeating ourselves.............help........ the record's stuck, the record's stuck, the record's stuck, stuck, stuck......
too funny
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:06 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladymoose
My hubby (pre-me of course), use to talk about P45ing his ex-girlfriends (dumping them) - so he'll have to change that now to the Canadian equivalent I guess...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:15 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Interesting Ferrari Steve_P, what model is that?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Coronation Street irritates me, I cannot understand 90% of what they say.
My accent is awfully close to that; so you will never understand me
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:16 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Never have truer words been said. You can use petrol, bonnet, wireless, GIRO, P-45 etc etc when in the company of fellow Brits, but to most people it sounds pompous and arrogant.
Thankyou.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:22 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT and I get the piss taken out of me all the time for pronouncing 'Router' as 'roo-ter'.

Apparently it should be 'Row-ter' (row as in having an argument with your wife, not what Cambridge & Oxford do in the boat race) which sounds absolutely ridiculous coming from my mouth.

When in Rome...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I work in IT and I get the piss taken out of me all the time for pronouncing 'Router' as 'roo-ter'.

Apparently it should be 'Row-ter' (row as in having an argument with your wife, not what Cambridge & Oxford do in the boat race) which sounds absolutely ridiculous coming from my mouth.

When in Rome...
Yep, I learnt that one pretty quick on day one. They find it highly amusing

What always gets me is you think you have this sussed, and then a Canadian will talk about Home Depot (not 'deepo') and tomaaartoes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.