Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

kindness of strangers

kindness of strangers

Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kindness of strangers

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
only if you want to curb you passion.

Curb is US spelling for pavement edging according to wikipedia
In my world it's a curb bit that goes in horses mouths, to curb them.
Originally Posted by startwin
What drives me nuts - and some realtors are amongst the offenders - is the way some people pronounce it re-la-tors, because they simply can't say realtors.

Acreage is referred to often in this part of the world. As in "do you live on acreage".
I can't say "realtors". Well I can, but I have to think about it. In the same way I have to think if I want to pronounce "poor", "moor", "more", without a dipthong thing. It sounds weird so I say estate agent and no one has given me any funny looks, well no more than usual.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Which, as we've ascertained, means "do you live on a piece of land of arbitrary dimensions?" Duh!

Although batty opines, it might mean "do you live on a piece of land of arbitrary dimensions in excess of 0.4046 hectares".

As I said; pretty useless expression IMHO.
I thought I should back up my opinion with a google reference. (Shoddy research I know but this is BE) Couldnt find one. Seems its an American word from around 1858? to describe an area in acres or an " area of ground used for some particular purpose (such as building or farming)"

Originally Posted by dbd33
Real estate agents or just "agents".

I know it's an advertising term and like "acerage" one can find uses of the term if one searches the internet. I just haven't come across these words outside of this site despite being quite recently involved in a transaction involving multiple agents and multiple acres.
Ah but things are different on planet dbd33 aren't they? While looking for the acreage definition I found some more ancient words to describe an amount of land. These may be more familiar to you. I look forwards to reading how many
carucates, virgates, bovates, nooks, farundells and/or farthingales your shack sits on
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I look forwards to reading how many
carucates, virgates, bovates, nooks, farundells and/or farthingales your shack sits on
dbd lives on an area of land perfectly adequate to support himself, his yankee cohabitant, two horses and a John Deere. The technical term is moot, although "home" seems adequate.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
dbd lives on an area of land perfectly adequate to support himself, his yankee cohabitant, two horses and a John Deere. The technical term is moot, although "home" seems adequate.
A meeting hall??

Its a very nice moot hall too. I thought dbd might prefer a predecimal term to describe the plot of land he lives on
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

In the western part of Canada, the term used by the farmers is "section " as in "how many sections do you have in wheat " ?

A section of land is 640 ACRES in size. A typical wheat or barley farm in Saskatchewan or Alberta can run to 8 or 10 sections of land, or 5,000 to 6,000 ACRES of cultivated land. It could also be called an "acerage ".

When we talk about a "sea of wheat " blowing gently in the wind, that is what we are talking about.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
In the western part of Canada, the term used by the farmers is "section " as in "how many sections do you have in wheat " ?

A section of land is 640 ACRES in size. A typical wheat or barley farm in Saskatchewan or Alberta can run to 8 or 10 sections of land, or 5,000 to 6,000 ACRES of cultivated land. It could also be called an "acerage ".

When we talk about a "sea of wheat " blowing gently in the wind, that is what we are talking about.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
need a sit on mower for that
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
need a sit on mower for that
and a packed lunch!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

Actually, when it comes time to harvest that much grain, it's a "team " of about 5 to 8 combines, each worth about a million dollars, that run down the fields in a row , taking out about a 500 yard wide swath of grain in one pass.

Air conditioned cabs, with air ride seats, and CD players, and two way radios for communicating with the trucks that are loaded as the combines cut and separate the chaff from the grain, the combines run day and night to get the harvest in and then they are off to the next contract farm , to do it all over again. With high powered halogen lights the combines work all night to get the jobs done.

The harvest teams start their seasons in Texas, and Missouri, in early autumn, and work their way north, to finish up in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Individual farmers are willing to pay the teams, rather than spend millions to have their own harvester machines. Even so, an average Canadian grain farmer , with a 5 section farm of about 3,000 ACRES, has a 5 to 10 million dollar investment in equipment and buildings.

A cattle operation with beef cows, will be even more of an investment, depending on the size of the ranch and the herd. Herds of more than 2,000 head are common. Alberta beef is some of the best in the world.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.