British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Kevin O'Leary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/kevin-oleary-890303/)

magnumpi Jan 18th 2017 3:09 pm

Kevin O'Leary

Oh my, our very own Trump like race for leadership.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thes...?client=safari

Danny B Jan 18th 2017 3:15 pm

Re: Kevin O'Leary

“I have been a commentator on television for over a decade … I’ve said many different things,” O’Leary said on television.

“During those years, there’s 10,000 hours of things I’ve said, and I expect all them to get regurgitated. They don’t mean anything. They’re not policy.”

Are we to expect a "grab em by the pussy" story soon?

not2old Jan 18th 2017 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12155058)
“I have been a commentator on television for over a decade … I’ve said many different things,” O’Leary said on television.

“During those years, there’s 10,000 hours of things I’ve said, and I expect all them to get regurgitated. They don’t mean anything. They’re not policy.”

Are we to expect a "grab em by the pussy" story soon?

Stateside - 'I am a millionaire, a reality TV star, look, I can tweet, call people liars, have a bad hair day, I can do no wrong - I will be the next President of the United States'

Anything is possible, just look at the US

On the basis that O'leary wins the conservative leadership race, Trump likes O'Leary & does all the support propaganda for our man up to the next Canadian federal election.

Could O'leary be the next Canadian PM, and in doing so, would he just be another (mini me) Trump?

I could see it happening

Paul_Shepherd Jan 18th 2017 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=not2old;12155092]Stateside - 'I am a millionaire, a reality TV star, look, I can tweet, call people liars, have a bad hair day, I can do no wrong - I will be the next President of the United States'

Anything is possible, just look at the US

On the basis that O'leary wins the conservative leadership race, Trump likes O'Leary & does all the support propaganda for our man up to the next Canadian federal election.

Could O'leary be the next Canadian PM, and in doing so, would he just be another (mini me) Trump?

I could see it happening

I dont like O'Leary he is an arrogant d*ck, however we need someone who is going to look after Canada's interests, and i think he could do that....certainly cant be any worse than the wet lettuce we currently have as PM.

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 4:40 pm

I only know of this chap because someone here this morning described him as "the new Michael Ignatieff". On that basis, and due to not speaking the language, he doesn't seem likely to ruffle Trudeau's tresses.

Paul_Shepherd Jan 18th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155151)
I only know of this chap because someone here this morning described him as "the new Michael Ignatieff". On that basis, and due to not speaking the language, he doesn't seem likely to ruffle Trudeau's tresses.

The Micheal Ignatieff reference becauase his past comments and statements will come back to haunt him and ultimately cost him his credibility?

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12155155)
The Micheal Ignatieff reference becauase his past comments and statements will come back to haunt him and ultimately cost him his credibility?

No because he lives in America and will go back there after whichever contest eliminates him. A tourist candidate.

Paul_Shepherd Jan 18th 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155162)
No because he lives in America and will go back there after whichever contest eliminates him. A tourist candidate.

Oh right. I didnt know he lived in the states. Hmm no thats not good. I suppose it emphasies his aggrogance.

However if he sees Canada as a business more than a country, and puts Canada;s interests first, that may not be a bad thing.

not2old Jan 18th 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155162)

now located in Budapest, Hungary

leith Jan 18th 2017 6:01 pm

While Kevin O'Leary does come across as greedy and ruthless. at least he has shown that he knows how to manage money and seems to be articulate and speaks to the point, abilities in which Trudeau has shown himself to be grossly lacking. We'll need somebody to clean up the financial and social mess Trudeau is making. Maybe O'Leary wouldn't be a bad choice. I also think it's unfair to compare O'Leary to Donald Trump as he has no history of making the type of offensive comments Trump is noted for.

Souvy Jan 18th 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by leith (Post 12155213)
While Kevin O'Leary does come across as greedy and ruthless. at least he has shown that he knows how to manage money and seems to be articulate and speaks to the point, abilities in which Trudeau has shown himself to be grossly lacking. We'll need somebody to clean up the financial and social mess Trudeau is making. Maybe O'Leary wouldn't be a bad choice. I also think it's unfair to compare O'Leary to Donald Trump as he has no history of making the type of offensive comments Trump is noted for.

He notably waited to declare until after the French language debate between a dozen or so candidates last night.

Amusingly, an Anglophone scored better on language than one of the two native francophones.

JamesM Jan 18th 2017 6:26 pm

O'Leary will be the next Prime Minister.

He is sharper than Trump but probably more outspoken too.

If Rob Ford can be elected in Toronto then O'Leary can almost certainly be elected.

dbd33 Jan 18th 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12155227)

If Rob Ford can be elected in Toronto then O'Leary can almost certainly be elected.

It's interesting that, in the one picture I've seen of him, he's wearing a bar collar. When did you last see a bar collar?

JamesM Jan 18th 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12155238)
It's interesting that, in the one picture I've seen of him, he's wearing a bar collar. When did you last see a bar collar?

Not in recent memory.

O'Leary does wish he was a big league financier in Canary Wharf or the City though. He's the sort of person who could only carry this much weight in a place like Canada with such marginal success.

Souvy Jan 18th 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12155227)

Only if he can create a blue wave in QC.

Quebeckers vote with their hearts (remember Layton's QC sweep?).

One incautious comment by Kev would screw the Tories.