British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Keratin at the Hairdreser (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/keratin-hairdreser-904155/)

Snowy560 Oct 4th 2017 11:28 pm

Keratin at the Hairdreser

The hairdresser suggested a keratin treatment to stop my frizz. I'm very tempted.

It seems ideal but it costs $150 and I am concerned about safety. I've read mixed reviews. The product she wants to use advertises itself as formaldehyde free and a load of other chemicals-free.

Just wondered if anyone here uses keratin products or has had such treatments at the (Canadian) hairdresser.

I gave up shampoo etc in January because it was making my scalp so dry and I'm worried a keratin treatment may do the same.

Any insights or experiences would be welcome.

bats Oct 4th 2017 11:50 pm

Re: Keratin at the Hairdreser

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12353870)
The hairdresser suggested a keratin treatment to stop my frizz. I'm very tempted.

It seems ideal but it costs $150 and I am concerned about safety. I've read mixed reviews. The product she wants to use advertises itself as formaldehyde free and a load of other chemicals-free.

Just wondered if anyone here uses keratin products or has had such treatments at the (Canadian) hairdresser.

I gave up shampoo etc in January because it was making my scalp so dry and I'm worried a keratin treatment may do the same.

Any insights or experiences would be welcome.

You've had a hot humid summer haven't you? That would make you hair frizzy. I haven't given up shampooing but use one with sodium laurel sulphate and my hair is less frizzy and curlier. I don't use any other products and only wash it about every 10 days or so. Having started on a no products regime I wouldn't have a treatment if it was me.

That said a friend had some fancy defrizz treatment which makes her hair look amazingly shiny and sleek.

Snowy560 Oct 4th 2017 11:57 pm

Thank you. Yes it's been a long hot summer plus in Gibraltar it was very hot too.

I do use a [won't mention the brand] pure castile soap which can be used for everything (body and hair) but I caved in more recently and started using conditioner again. I don't wash my hair that often either. The hairdresser made it look really smooth so I don't want to wash it!

Actually the soap bar was very good to take on holiday.

dave_j Oct 5th 2017 5:26 am

A long long time ago there were men were men and women were women they ate twigs, leaves, roots and berries, had really poor breath, rat sized lice, really great sex and all sorts of ailments that today we have thankfully found remedies for... and.. they had great hair. And how do I know this having not quite perfected my time machine? I know this because we too have great hair.

Millions of years of evolution have ensured that the body has a marvellous way of looking after itself in spite of all those chemicals we throw at it.

Unfortunately money hasn't been around long enough for the body to have evolved mechanisms to guard against the need to give it away to those who say they can improve on perfection.

If I were you I'd take my $150 and spend it on good food and wine and enjoy it rather than worry about your hair.

Shakyuk Oct 5th 2017 7:37 am

I mistakenly read the title as 'Ketamin at the hairdresser' and thought what the hell is going on!

Paul_Shepherd Oct 5th 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12354019)
I mistakenly read the title as 'Ketamin at the hairdresser' and thought what the hell is going on!

Got to say....when I first saw that thread title I thought exactly the same! lol

Snowy560 Oct 5th 2017 2:55 pm

That made me laugh! I had to look it up on the internet!!

I'm not very vain and don't wear make up but would like nice straight hair. However, not if the ingredients are problematic.

Siouxie Oct 5th 2017 4:23 pm

You might want to read this article https://www.allure.com/story/keratin...eatment-how-to

:)

Jerseygirl Oct 5th 2017 4:33 pm

I wasn’t aware I had frizzy hair until I grew my hair long about 6 years ago. I have straight, fine hair but I seem to have a lot of it...the volume seems to increase 4 fold in humidity. I have often considered Keratin treatment but instead have settled for the smoothing creams and oils sold at the pharmacy. None seem to work...neither do the ones sold at the hairdressers that cost an arm or a leg. A few weeks ago I thought I would try Brylcream...yes that old fashioned hair cream my elderly male relatives used. To my amazement it actually works...especially if I put a little more than I need before going to bed.

Snowy560 Oct 5th 2017 7:46 pm

Brylcream!! Please tell me how you use it!!

The thread is getting interesting!

BristolUK Oct 5th 2017 10:20 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12354380)
...Brylcream.....

Doesn't that attract flies?

Snowy560 Oct 6th 2017 12:20 am

I'll probably risk the keratin. At least for one treatment.

I have to go to a conference next week and do a little bit of speaking. If my hair looks good it will help the self confidence!

DandNHill Oct 6th 2017 1:53 am

Re: Keratin at the Hairdresser

I just remembered... Pantene used to be great for frizz... haven't tried in years...must try gain.

In my case it's just my bangs/ fringe that frizzes and curls!

Oink Oct 6th 2017 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12354606)
I'll probably risk the keratin. At least for one treatment.

I have to go to a conference next week and do a little bit of speaking. If my hair looks good it will help the self confidence!

Apparently jizz takes away the frizz.

It's organic and I got next Tuesday afternoon off.

Shakyuk Oct 6th 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12354316)
Got to say....when I first saw that thread title I thought exactly the same! lol

I'm glad it wasn't just me!

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12354718)
Apparently jizz takes away the frizz.

It's organic and I got next Tuesday afternoon off.

:rofl: