Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Kamloops indigenous school bodies

Kamloops indigenous school bodies

Old Jun 10th 2021, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kamloops indigenous school bodies

Originally Posted by scilly
Children were often sent to a, for example, "chicken pox party" to be sure they caught it early. I don't think my mother sent me to such a party, but I certainly remember having chicken pox (and one tiny scar on my temple to remind me).
I have pictures of the neighbourhood children crawling over me when I had chicken pox as an adult. Being obliged to "cuddle and infect" was worse than having the pox.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 2:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article about a public health doctor working for the federal government in the early 1900's who tried to raise alarms about conditions in the residential schools, and TB spread, he was eventually pushed out of the government and his superiors blocked his efforts.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...ored-1.5462902
Old Jun 10th 2021, 9:15 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I really doubt it.

All I've seen, and I forget where I read it was that deaths in Residential Schools were almost invariably higher than those in surrounding communities, whether they be First Nations or not.

Childhood diseases were prevalent everywhere back then, even in the best of homes, but spread especially quickly when people were living very closely together, eg the poor and especially in the schools (and probably orphanages and workhouses) and may well not have been treated .............. ie, TB, scarlet fever, chicken pox, influenza, etc.

I mean literally every child was subject to all those diseases that you have been vaccinated against .................. those vaccines were not known even when I was a child in the 40s and early 50s.

Children were often sent to a, for example, "chicken pox party" to be sure they caught it early. I don't think my mother sent me to such a party, but I certainly remember having chicken pox (and one tiny scar on my temple to remind me). I also had measles and rubella (which was then called "german measles" ............ can remember being absolutely horrified when Mum told me that was what I had!). Mumps was the really bad one for boys, leading to a lot of men becoming sterile.

The first vaccine I had was the polio vaccine, 3 doses with 2 of them being given on a sugar cube.

My mother was born in 1903 and had scarlet fever when about 9 or 10 years old, and had to be sent away for treatment because it was so contagious.

TB was rife in lots of places, as it still is today even in parts of Canada ....... living in close quarters meant it spread rapidly. It is particularly common on First Nations Reserves and in the North, where people are living in very poor housing, aith too many living together. It's easily treatable now although it mean death back in the day.
Interesting history. I had chicken pox when I was 15. I certainly remember it.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Interesting history. I had chicken pox when I was 15. I certainly remember it.
I had it when I was 5 and it was a miserable experience. I am glad though by the time I arrived on the planet, there were measles, rubella, and mumps vaccines so I didn't have to experience those.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 9:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have pictures of the neighbourhood children crawling over me when I had chicken pox as an adult. Being obliged to "cuddle and infect" was worse than having the pox.
My usual scan reading read that as " chicken walking all over" you. I was about to post a snotty reply that no chickens are involved in the disease process but thankfully reread.
Still it's a humorous image.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 3:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 15th 2021, 7:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Article on Yahoo about a group of people holding a memorial for the chilfren by the shore, some sort of ritual 'paddle dance' and during the ceremony a group of Orcas appeared.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video-show...rc=fp_deeplink
Old Jun 21st 2021, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Well it seems the churches are getting burnt down now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...cton-1.6073976

jerry
Old Jun 21st 2021, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

Probably not a coincidence.

Originally Posted by jeremy brewer
Hi
Well it seems the churches are getting burnt down now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...cton-1.6073976

jerry
Old Jun 24th 2021, 4:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A further 751 graves found in Kamloops.

https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-new...ential-school/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...hool-1.6078375
The Cowessess First Nation announced a preliminary finding Thursday of 751 unmarked graves at a cemetery near the former Marieval Indian Residential School.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 9:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
A further 751 graves found in Kamloops.
No, it's the same story about Marieval. Missinipi Broadcasting (MBC) has been saying all day it appears to be children and adults, so they may have found an old graveyard containing more than just residential school students.
Edit: Not an old town graveyard, but the designated school graveyard possibly containing students, staff and teachers. I had and have friends who went to this school in the 60's and 70's and it left marks on them. In the 1930's parents from Beardy's at Duck Lake had to get a 2 week pass from the Indian Agent so they could take their horse and wagon to Regina to visit their kids for a few days and get back again. If you lived in a fly-in community maybe you'd be lucky to see them before they were out of school. Northern Manitoba is really fly-in, so I wonder what they're going to find at Brandon and Assiniboia school sites.
https://www.mbcradio.com/2021/06/not...dential-school

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 24th 2021 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The Vancouver Sun's article says that it was a graveyard established ca 1885, the school began in 899 near the graveyard and continued to use the graveyard after that.

The article also said that "not all grave sites have head boards.

So it sounds as if he First Nations were using the graveyard before the school opened, and that there may well be adults there, but children after he school was established.

https://vancouversun.com/news/politi...0-196a117ade5e
Old Jun 27th 2021, 2:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Two more Catholic churches burned near the southern Okanagan for a total of 4. These fires are close enough together to have easily been caused by the same person or small group. I suppose it's hard on the parishioners, but these are old wood frame buildings in or near the bush, and it's naffing fire season. A single lightning strike or cigarette butt can cause weeks of trouble at this time of year.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7983419/2...-first-nation/

Near the bottom is a video about the Easter fire that took the church in St Theresa Pt Manitoba; I was at a party in the Hudson's Bay staff house there that lasted 2 full days.
Here are names of some of the students recorded as having passed away in Manitoba residential schools. I knew there would be a lot at Brandon, but there are way more places than I knew about. I know someone from Birtle, but didn't know there had been a residential school there. When I got to Norway House I saw the family names of people I knew from my time up north.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ames-1.6080678

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 27th 2021 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2021, 2:04 am
Stand-up Philosopher

You say you will when you won't, but uh-uh, honey don't. Those naffing Oblates have backed up from saying here come the records, and again quoting privacy regulations. They can shove those up their cassocks. I'm sure their lawyers are talking to everyone else's lawyers, but it would be nice if something would happen soon, like a subpoena this week. Demand all the relevant records they have and slap them with contempt if they don't fork them over immediately.
"The Oblates already have made a "formal commitment" to release records associated with those schools, but Thorson said during his interview on Monday that the legality of releasing personnel files is unclear."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/obl...ords-1.6083742
Old Jun 29th 2021, 2:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
You say you will when you won't, but uh-uh, honey don't. Those naffing Oblates have backed up from saying here come the records, and again quoting privacy regulations. They can shove those up their cassocks. I'm sure their lawyers are talking to everyone else's lawyers, but it would be nice if something would happen soon, like a subpoena this week. Demand all the relevant records they have and slap them with contempt if they don't fork them over immediately.
"The Oblates already have made a "formal commitment" to release records associated with those schools, but Thorson said during his interview on Monday that the legality of releasing personnel files is unclear."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/obl...ords-1.6083742
Bollocks to that. What privacy when you are dead. Just release the bluddy records !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.