British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Job interviews (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/job-interviews-806775/)

sanjuk Aug 21st 2013 7:20 pm

Job interviews

Is it common for job interviews to have a 3rd stage? My interview is for a it role (not to technical) I've passed the phone interview, passed the 2nd interview and now have a 3rd interview?? What's the point of a 3rd interview?(also it's booked for 530pm WTF)

In England at the most there would be a phone interview and a face to face and that would be it.

AllyS Aug 21st 2013 7:24 pm

Re: Job interviews

Is HR involved in that one perhaps?

Shard Aug 21st 2013 8:21 pm

Not uncommon to have three interviews (or more). Depending on the role, company and industry of course.

Tigger1 Aug 21st 2013 8:23 pm

Not uncommon at all, often in our company a third interview is more of a meet and greet with the team but each company is different.

Oakvillian Aug 21st 2013 8:24 pm

I had seven interviews (and a couple of rounds of psychometric testing) for one job I didn't get. I think I had five for the one I'm currently in. Conversely for another job the only interview was a chat over a couple of pints.

It depends ;)

Shard Aug 21st 2013 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 10862627)
I had seven interviews (and a couple of rounds of psychometric testing) for one job I didn't get. I think I had five for the one I'm currently in. Conversely for another job the only interview was a chat over a couple of pints.

It depends ;)

I find the lengths many HR departments go to these days ludicrous. Especially when the so-called talent is happy to job hop every few years. Or perhaps that's more a UK phenomena.

Auld Yin Aug 21st 2013 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by sanjuk (Post 10862531)
Is it common for job interviews to have a 3rd stage? My interview is for a it role (not to technical) I've passed the phone interview, passed the 2nd interview and now have a 3rd interview?? What's the point of a 3rd interview?(also it's booked for 530pm WTF)

In England at the most there would be a phone interview and a face to face and that would be it.

WTF, you're not in England and if you continue the "in England we do it this way" routine someone will tell you to FO back to there, perhaps after they punch out your lights.

Shard Aug 21st 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 10862654)
WTF, you're not in England and if you continue the "in England we do it this way" routine someone will tell you to FO back to there, perhaps after they punch out your lights.

:thumbdown:

To be fair to sanjuk, he was referencing what he experienced as the norm in England. He wasn't suggesting that it should be done that way.

MrWindUpBird Aug 21st 2013 10:01 pm

A 5:30pm interview makes a lot of sense to me, if you're currently working it saves you pulling a sickie. (Assuming 9-5 job)

orly Aug 22nd 2013 12:08 am

Two for my job.

First was with the COO and then the 2nd was a round table with about 6 staff (which is about half the company!)

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 22nd 2013 12:37 am

I do nothing but unskilled, entry level work, and sometimes have 2-3 interviews.

I know someone who got hired at Target in Canada, entry level cashier job, and had 3 interviews before being hired.

My last job (entry level non-skilled) had 2 interviews.

First one was with the department manager, then the second one was with the operations manager.

jandro Aug 22nd 2013 7:06 am

At one place I worked they interviewed a colleague for an IT position 3 or 4 times. Each successive interview was with someone higher up the chain - the last one with the CEO. I think all these interviews are excessive but you have to play the game.

Mikeypm Aug 22nd 2013 7:28 am

Each employer has their way of doing things or indeed their HR department has its way of doing things. I do think it is unusual as every company has it's way and if you want to work for that company you follow the process.

Some jobs in the UK I have had one interview and secured a position and some I have had two interviews and then secured the job. Im not fussed how many interviews as long as the end result is the same.

MrWindUpBird Aug 22nd 2013 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by jandro (Post 10863230)
At one place I worked they interviewed a colleague for an IT position 3 or 4 times. Each successive interview was with someone higher up the chain - the last one with the CEO. I think all these interviews are excessive but you have to play the game.

My record is three phone interviews (30 mins each), and then eight in-person (45 mins each). The in-person ones were all done in the one day, though.

Mikeypm Aug 23rd 2013 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird (Post 10864236)
My record is three phone interviews (30 mins each), and then eight in-person (45 mins each). The in-person ones were all done in the one day, though.

Did you get the job? ;)

Oink Aug 23rd 2013 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 10862654)

I hope they’re feeling self-satisfied when they’re sitting in jail for assault and contemplating how they’re now going to make a living and support their family with a criminal record all because someone suggested an improvement in business efficiency.

MrWindUpBird Aug 23rd 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 10865173)
Did you get the job? ;)

Nope!

januarymix Aug 23rd 2013 10:07 pm

3-4 seems ordinary to me