Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Jamaican lady not permitted to visit UK

Jamaican lady not permitted to visit UK

Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jamaican lady not permitted to visit UK

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not really suggesting it did. I have no idea in the same way I'm suggesting she probably had no idea. I'm looking at it from her point of view that she was apparently living in the UK legally, with no issues at all and then when she leaves, only intending to return as a visitor, she would (in her eyes) continue to have no reason to apply for other status.

If she had every reason to think she was legitimate - and it sounds like she does (working for the NHS and all) - why would she think she had any reason to do something like apply for a classification that enabled her to carry on doing what she was doing?

I'm just giving a possible answer to Gozit.
Sorry, I did edit that after I posted as I realised it sounded as I was giving you a hard time rather than the journalist.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Sorry, I did edit that after I posted as I realised it sounded as I was giving you a hard time rather than the journalist.

Funnily enough, I did wonder part way through if that's what you meant.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You do realize that I am one of those lazy, overpaid, under skilled, undereducated underworked, non smiling, bureaucratic and golden pension receiving Government worker don't you?
You mean overpaid, underpaid or not paid at all, don't you?

Gotta love Phoenix.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
You mean overpaid, underpaid or not paid at all, don't you?

Gotta love Phoenix.
What does Phoenix do about tea drinking?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What does Phoenix do about tea drinking?
Well if you are not getting paid then you cant afford to buy tea and sit around for 7.5 hours a day drinking it so you might as well do some work.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
How about a “ humanity” campaign?
I think the UK ran that one for a long time. Possibly longer than it should have done in fact. Sadly it just isn't feasible.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think the UK ran that one for a long time. Possibly longer than it should have done in fact. Sadly it just isn't feasible.
Ok maybe an old age pensioner humanity campaign?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:42 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Ok maybe an old age pensioner humanity campaign?
Well no because you always get people like that elderly South African woman who take the piss.

It is a shame but in this person's case she had every opportunity to naturalise as a full British citizen and didn't bother.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

It is a shame but in this person's case she had every opportunity to naturalise as a full British citizen and didn't bother.
I think you are very unfairly assuming there. She was apparently living in the UK quite legally and then left, only intending to return for visits. Why should she think she need become a citizen?

As I said earlier, now, thanks to the internet and the wide dissemination of information, anyone leaving a country at a stage when they might qualify for citizenship, is made aware of this and should consider taking it to keep future options open.

It wasn't like that for her. Why do you assume she just didn't bother?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I think you are very unfairly assuming there. She was apparently living in the UK quite legally and then left, only intending to return for visits. Why should she think she need become a citizen?

As I said earlier, now, thanks to the internet and the wide dissemination of information, anyone leaving a country at a stage when they might qualify for citizenship, is made aware of this and should consider taking it to keep future options open.

It wasn't like that for her. Why do you assume she just didn't bother?
Fair enough. Tbh I sympathise because my partner cannot become a British citizen without surrendering her original citizenship so if we decide to leave the UK for a couple of years or more then there's no guarantee that she would get back in again, or at least not without considerable time, effort and expense anyway.

There are the unfortunate consequences of red tape in the immigration system that can have a real negative impact on the lives of honest people. Sadly though I don't know any realistic way to deal with them.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Fair enough. Tbh I sympathise because my partner cannot become a British citizen without surrendering her original citizenship so if we decide to leave the UK for a couple of years or more then there's no guarantee that she would get back in again...
There are the unfortunate consequences of red tape in the immigration system...

At least you're making your decisions with the knowledge of the consequences.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

At least you're making your decisions with the knowledge of the consequences.
Absolutely. It's just something that we can't do very much about unfortunately.