Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's a police state... well, in mission, BC

Wikiposts

It's a police state... well, in mission, BC

Old May 13th 2011, 4:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's a police state... well, in mission, BC

There the police and local state have the authority to look at your power consumption and if it's deemed inappropriate they can get a warrant to search your house. Ok, I don't think that using a lot of power is enough in itself to merit this, but others do, so fair enough.

However, what happens is that the police exercise the warrant, smash your house up, and then send you a $5,000 bill to pay for the search, which is on top of any damage they've done while looking for marijuana. You have to pay, even if you are completely innocent. What a fcked up country...
Old May 13th 2011, 4:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's a police state... well, in mission, BC

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There the police and local state have the authority to look at your power consumption and if it's deemed inappropriate they can get a warrant to search your house. Ok, I don't think that using a lot of power is enough in itself to merit this, but others do, so fair enough.

However, what happens is that the police exercise the warrant, smash your house up, and then send you a $5,000 bill to pay for the search, which is on top of any damage they've done while looking for marijuana. You have to pay, even if you are completely innocent. What a fcked up country...
I heard about this the other day.

A quick search came up with this: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Civ...263/story.html

The bylaw was apparently suspended last January but it sure sounds like a total f**k up.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought this type of practice-extortion would have been challenged in the courts.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I would have thought this type of practice-extortion would have been challenged in the courts.
There is a class action lawsuit going on from people who've been affected. I can't say I blame them - this kind of tin-pot activity shouldn't really have been allowed.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

In a similarish vein, HM Customs & Revenue in the UK can strip your car apart, unpack your container and enter your premises without a warrant if they suspect you of smuggling. You are then responsible for rectifying the mess they've caused. I imagine that customs here have similar powers. Facists eh? Wouldn't have those problems in North Kor....oh hang on.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:14 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There is a class action lawsuit going on from people who've been affected. I can't say I blame them - this kind of tin-pot activity shouldn't really have been allowed.
I wonder if this type of practice is borne out of frustration with the social maladies that infect a small rural town by pot growing gangs? I also wonder if this type of measure wasn't designed to get a reaction from larger powers? That said, it's pretty stupid to penalize your own law abiding constituents. So, they're probably just small town idiots.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:17 am
recycled member

peas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess that if you're going to use a lot of hydro, you might as well run a grow-op as well. Then when you get the bill for $5000 you'll have the dough to pay it.
Old May 13th 2011, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, if you get a friend to report you to the police on the basis that you have murdered people and have buried them in your back yard, you may be able to get the local police to rotovate your back yard for free if no such dead people exist
Old May 13th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I wonder if this type of practice is borne out of frustration with the social maladies that infect a small rural town by pot growing gangs? I also wonder if this type of measure wasn't designed to get a reaction from larger powers? That said, it's pretty stupid to penalize your own law abiding constituents. So, they're probably just small town idiots.
Does seem like those tiny isolated towns in BC have a problem with drugs, but you'd think that grow-ops hardly seem like a priority compared to the harder drugs.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

It's scandalous really. How on earth did they think that it'd survive a legal challenge, I do not know. The approach seems to be pretty scattergun, i.e. fine anyone who might look guilty rather than spend time and effort going after the really guilty and it generates income too. It's the same with drink driving - easy win big fines for those who've had 1 glass of wine, no court etc, don't have to bother going after those causing the real damage. Looks like you're really trying the tackle the problem when really it's just fine generation.

Mind you the sentences for those convicted of running grow-op's (esp. when you look at the money generated) is so pitiful, that you can't blame the police for being lacksadasical.

Thought the DTES, sorry BC civil liberties bloke, Eby would be on this, but he made some glib remarks and moved on to concentrate on protecting the rights of the criminal/drug addicts as usual.

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Does seem like those tiny isolated towns in BC have a problem with drugs, but you'd think that grow-ops hardly seem like a priority compared to the harder drugs.
Don't worry, BC is up there as well with the quantity of harder drugs being produced - Ecstasy/meth labs etc. BC is one of the world's largest producers of ecstasy. There's no method to track the import/sale of large quantities of the chemicals needed unlike most other countries.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by brizzle
Thought the DTES, sorry BC civil liberties bloke, Eby would be on this.
He is. The BC civil liberties org is helping with the class action lawsuit.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Would never happen in Kamloops as it seems the old bill there are too busy with other things.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/6201...ewing-cell-sex