Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's cold... brrrrrrr

It's cold... brrrrrrr

Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's cold... brrrrrrr

[QUOTE=bats;11080669]Making us jealous[/QUOTE

That was not my intent; just stating facts. That being said, you might enjoy being here
Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:17 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Largo;11080681]
Originally Posted by bats
Making us jealous[/QUOTE

That was not my intent; just stating facts. That being said, you might enjoy being here
That's ok, it's a bittersweet jealousy. I am enjoying the misery of winter. I want to visit Victoria one day, an old poster on here, HWP, moved there and i used to enjoy herphotos and stories.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's ok, it's a bittersweet jealousy. I am enjoying the misery of winter. I want to visit Victoria one day, an old poster on here, HWP, moved there and i used to enjoy herphotos and stories.
Ah, HWP, she was, err, interesting.

But on topic, the winter is barely started. You're all getting heatstroke from a four day respite.

I've just been looking into booking flights for the OH from YYZ to NCL via LHR for March. I found one which looked perfect, except there was a 1:30 layover in Heathrow. She fancied that.

But I pointed out to her that while it will be spring in the UK, it'll still be winter in Toronto and her chances of making the connecting flight through Heathrow would be exactly equal to zilch.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah, HWP, she was, err, interesting.

But on topic, the winter is barely started. You're all getting heatstroke from a four day respite.

I've just been looking into booking flights for the OH from YYZ to NCL via LHR for March. I found one which looked perfect, except there was a 1:30 layover in Heathrow. She fancied that.

But I pointed out to her that while it will be spring in the UK, it'll still be winter in Toronto and her chances of making the connecting flight through Heathrow would be exactly equal to zilch.
Couldn't she just let the train take the strain from London?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Couldn't she just let the train take the strain from London?
It's certainly an option, but as I'm sure you know, it actually costs considerably more (and takes considerably more time) to travel from LHR to King's Cross and then by train to Newcastle compared to booking two flights on one ticket.

Mad, but true.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly an option, but as I'm sure you know, it actually costs considerably more (and takes considerably more time) to travel from LHR to King's Cross and then by train to Newcastle compared to booking two flights on one ticket.

Mad, but true.
I've been looking at flights to CDG and LHR and have worked out that it would be easier and cheaper to get the train from Cobourg to Montreal and fly from there. Am going to try it once i eventually get the travel dates sorted out.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:57 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at flights to CDG and LHR and have worked out that it would be easier and cheaper to get the train from Cobourg to Montreal and fly from there. Am going to try it once i eventually get the travel dates sorted out.
Or you could take the bus to Trudeau. That may well be even easier, cheaper and quicker.

Have a wazz before you get on the bus, though. Using a Greyhound bog is tricky and can be messy.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:49 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Souvy
Or you could take the bus to Trudeau. That may well be even easier, cheaper and quicker.

Have a wazz before you get on the bus, though. Using a Greyhound bog is tricky and can be messy.
I looked into bus routes even though i loathe bus travel.. i get vomity in the bus station let lone actually on the bus, anyway it takes far too long, 8 hours via Ottawa. Ugh. I could drive too but the train is onlt $105 return, cheaper than gas and parking.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into bus routes even though i loathe bus travel.. i get vomity in the bus station let lone actually on the bus, anyway it takes far too long, 8 hours via Ottawa. Ugh. I could drive too but the train is onlt $105 return, cheaper than gas and parking.
Ugh don't take the bus. Our school booked a "Greyhound" for a year end trip up north for us eighth graders, and there was a hole in the top of the bus, then it started raining and the water was seeping through on top of peoples heads. We paid for a "coach" and got a "piece of sh*t" ..... Was supposed to have onboard DVD player and everything, but the one we got didnt even have air condition. Ooh man now that I look back on it that was an awful trip in it's entirety.

For any of you who have kids, if their school is doing a multiple night "camping" trip up north and they don't want to go, please don't make them, there's probable cause that the people running it are nutbars and dont know how to organise the trip, and also make stupid rules like not being allowed to bring mobiles. Like why is it that I am expected to go without my mobile on a trip of that length? I mean come on, the bl**dy teachers were on the mobiles all the time phoning home and even checking the hockey scores! (Canadians .........)

Sorry, rant over, back on topic. Bats, and anyone else, dont take the bus, take the train, its much better, and as a plus, theres free wi-fi to talk to us on BE
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Ugh don't take the bus. Our school booked a "Greyhound" for a year end trip up north for us eighth graders, and there was a hole in the top of the bus, then it started raining and the water was seeping through on top of peoples heads. We paid for a "coach" and got a "piece of sh*t" ..... Was supposed to have onboard DVD player and everything, but the one we got didnt even have air condition. Ooh man now that I look back on it that was an awful trip in it's entirety.

For any of you who have kids, if their school is doing a multiple night "camping" trip up north and they don't want to go, please don't make them, there's probable cause that the people running it are nutbars and dont know how to organise the trip, and also make stupid rules like not being allowed to bring mobiles. Like why is it that I am expected to go without my mobile on a trip of that length? I mean come on, the bl**dy teachers were on the mobiles all the time phoning home and even checking the hockey scores! (Canadians .........)

Sorry, rant over, back on topic. Bats, and anyone else, dont take the bus, take the train, its much better, and as a plus, theres free wi-fi to talk to us on BE
I took the slow bus to NYC, from Toronto. That involved hanging around the bus station in Buffalo for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. There were drugs and weapons and black people. I was quite frightened.

Subsequently one of my daughters took the Greyhound all over the US, even meeting someone at the Detroit bus station and eventually living with him for a couple of years (in Alaska, not Detroit). She said that the Buffalo bus station was the worst of it and I shouldn't have been put off. I think that's the only time I've felt Canadian.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 12:01 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Mad, but true.
The Geordies at my work take the KLM flight to Amsterdam and then the KLM hopper over to Newcastle. Might be an option worth looking into?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:30 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The Geordies at my work take the KLM flight to Amsterdam and then the KLM hopper over to Newcastle. Might be an option worth looking into?
I've done that. It works well in summer, but KLM cut their Shipol - NCL service down in the off season. It's still doable to a long layover.

I imagine your Geordie colleagues find some way to kill time while in Amsterdam, there are some "interesting" bars near the airport.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
. Bats, and anyone else, dont take the bus, take the train, its much better, and as a plus, theres free wi-fi to talk to us on BE
I agree take the train, its the best way to travel... None of the bus companies can compete on the comfort level of the train.

I take greyhound at times on short routes in BC, but could never imagine a trip longer then 90 minutes, no leg room, hard uncomfortable seats, and always someone annoying doing something annoying to annoy everyone else.

I will always pay more and take the train over a bus any day.

Even cross country in coach, the train is better....
Old Jan 20th 2014, 11:33 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The longest I've done on a bus is Ottawa-Trois Rivieres. I wouldn't do it again. Ottawa-Montreal is bearable.

I haven't used the train in years but there is a strong possibility that I will next week. We are going up to Quebec City for yet another funeral and Souvette may stay on for a few days, leaving me to find my own way home. Flying is not really an option. AC charges $310 (add on $100 for taxis) and has only two flights a day. Given AC's habit of cancelling any flight I book on, it can do one. WJ has one flight a day, very early in the morning and via TO. Porter has one, also via TO, and it's more expensive.

The train is looking good. About six hours, including a layover in Montreal. If I bought the cheapest ticket available, it would be $49. I'd be more likely to go business class (flexible and refundable - nothing to do with free food and booze and not having to mix with plebs). Even that is only $166. Curiously, it works out more expensive to do the first leg business class and the second leg peasant class than it is to go business all the way.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 12:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I took the train from Toronto to Kingston in the summer.
I was very impressed. Managed to get a web deal so it cost $40 each way including reserved seat.

The only pain was that Kingston train station is about a $15 cab ride from the actual town but even factoring that cost in it was reasonable.

The whole journey was completely painless, the seats big , comfy and wth lots of leg room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.