Wikiposts

interview tips

Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:51 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: interview tips

Originally Posted by pdarwin
[[And do be aware that what goes around comes around. A few years ago I interviewed and recruited a guy for a position. After his first day he rang in to say that he had decided that he didn't want the job after all as he could stay working from home for his previous employer. Not thinking that one through and wasting mine and others time mean't that when I received his resume for a similar position in the company I work for now, it went straight into the garbage file.
So what you're saying is that an employee facing a choice between two likely job offers should not take the one he feels is most suited to him?
No. I'm saying that if you are currently working from home for an employer, you should think through whether you want to apply for and obtain another job, before you go to the bother of accepting it and turning up for your first day at work. Deciding that it's not so convenient for you after you've been interviewed, made and accepted an offer & gone through a days training is not a way to win friends and influence people. Particularly when the person that you pissed off ends up being the person who decides whether you get an interview or not for another job and another company. It's a small world etc.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:53 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Be prepared for the "situation-action-result" type questions. Every interview I have had over here has involved these. Basically they ask a question e.g. tell us about a time you dealt with a difficult client. You tell them about a situation where you experienced this, what you did and what the outcome was. You can Google the term and get loads of examples - that's what I did!

Good luck!
Yep agree with this, think STAR....SiTuation, Action, Result.

Good luck and post how it went.

Also take a copy of your resumes and the job description....just in case it goes off course, I wish I had done that in my one of my interviews.

Last edited by JB0591; Mar 16th 2011 at 3:57 am.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in a situation where I was offered two jobs I accepted one of them then got a much better offer from the other company.

I admit that I took the better offer. It was nothing personal, and I assume that they just hired the next best candidate.

6 months after starting the other job, my whole team was let go. Though I considered that being fooked with, I still had to be nice to them as I needed them to write a good reference.

Recruiter often seem to expect the world from you but when they have to let you go, it is just business.

To me it is just business, but I would not think to apply to a company I had done this to for many years.

Normally when I take a job, I explain that the probation period is not just for them to see if I am right for the job, but also to see if they are right for me. You can discover that in one day with some employers.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:40 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
I have been in a situation where I was offered two jobs I accepted one of them then got a much better offer from the other company.

I admit that I took the better offer. It was nothing personal, and I assume that they just hired the next best candidate.
Taking the best offer is something many would do. But an understanding that the company where the first job was that you accepted, might not neccessarily be that philosophic about it might be useful.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, thanks for all the tips and also the interesting discussion.

As it happens, it turned out to be an initial screening by HR type of interview and she is now handing my resume on to the managers for two different jobs within the firm. So I will just have to patient and see if I am called for a second interview.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Thats actually a good thing - backward from the way our company does it but if you already got the go -ahead from HR then you just have to get the go-ahead from the manager and you are in with no surprises
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would be nice. Ottawa isn't an easy place in which to find a suitable office job especially as my French leaves much to be desired! (I'm still working on it though). If I am offered a position I will post, if not, then it's back to the drawing board!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:39 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
Well that would be nice. Ottawa isn't an easy place in which to find a suitable office job especially as my French leaves much to be desired! (I'm still working on it though). If I am offered a position I will post, if not, then it's back to the drawing board!
Now don't forget to follow up with a thank you for the interview email. Many places here seem to like that.
Just an email saying it was nice to meet with you/them today and after finding out more about your company and the position, that you're still interested. Also a good time to slip in a question about something you want to know relating to the work. Shows keenness.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to also send them a Thank you card, an invitation to become their child's god-parent and a huge bunch of flowers/chocolate/raw vegetables with dip. Such items are, of course, completely superfluous, but is the way North Americans recruit
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:44 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

For several weeks now, I have been in contact with a lady in Toronto. She arrived from Russia in 2005 and has a science background (researcher at Moscow University). She has had zero luck in getting a job. Go figure.

She applied to my company. We have nothing for her but I took her under my wing because her story sounds very familiar to me. I'm doing whatever I can to feed her contacts and make introductions.

It's not like me to be that nice (polishes halo). Then again, it's useful to me to be on friendly terms with a Russian-speaking scientist (stops polishing).
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:53 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Souvy
For several weeks now, I have been in contact with a lady in Toronto. She arrived from Russia in 2005 and has a science background (researcher at Moscow University). She has had zero luck in getting a job. Go figure.

She applied to my company. We have nothing for her but I took her under my wing because her story sounds very familiar to me. I'm doing whatever I can to feed her contacts and make introductions.

It's not like me to be that nice (polishes halo). Then again, it's useful to me to be on friendly terms with a Russian-speaking scientist (stops polishing).
Might I observe that you altruism, observed through the filter of cynicism, sounds awfully dodgy? Russian woman, taking her under your wing? What does Souvette have to say about all this?

On the other hand with my cynic filter removed, good job. What kind of work is she looking for? Perhaps the BE collective can help.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:54 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Don't forget to also send them a Thank you card, an invitation to become their child's god-parent and a huge bunch of flowers/chocolate/raw vegetables with dip. Such items are, of course, completely superfluous, but is the way North Americans recruit
I'm a British guy recruiting for a Canadian company. Don't bother with any of the above. Send booze. And a % cut of your first pay packet. Thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:58 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

I don't know your Russian lady of course, but one thing I've found after working several years in IT in Canada is that many immigrants come in with bags full of diplomas and degrees and are very IT capable, yet their communications skills let them down. Even if their knowledge of English is good, the pronunciation is too difficult for work colleagues and customers to comprehend. I've seen several really good IT guys lose jobs in the probation period just because of this. Shame really.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:08 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Might I observe that you altruism, observed through the filter of cynicism, sounds awfully dodgy? Russian woman, taking her under your wing? What does Souvette have to say about all this?

On the other hand with my cynic filter removed, good job. What kind of work is she looking for? Perhaps the BE collective can help.
I've never met her. I doubt that anyone on here can help her. She's a number-cruncher.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing what so ever to do with the Russian lady you know but lately we had a couple of russians doing day rate work for us , when we double checked their resumes , neither the qualifications or the work experienced checked out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.