Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Instant Coffee Question

Instant Coffee Question

Old Aug 31st 2018, 1:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instant Coffee Question

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Instant Coffee YUK!
Correction...instant coffee Canada...yuk.
Instant coffee UK - several varieties, not at all bad.

That's not a UK better than Canada thing, quite the reverse. While good coffee - or real coffee - was the norm in North America, the UK was mostly instant for decades and I guess that's why some instants were developed to be at least quite decent.

But even in other parts of Europe where real coffee has been the norm, they have a few decent instants. "Ordinary" Nescafe is not the same ordinary in different countries.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 1:52 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Instant Coffee Question

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
That'd save decanting it into your wee jar, anyway
In my tour of duty in white mans graveyard, I learned to survive off the Nestle 3-in-1 sachets. Two sachets would give something approximating coffee even though I prefer it without sugar. A few years of counselling have got me through that but I still get triggered by sachet coffee (a canadian got the Starbucks instant sachets for double impact- sachet AND starbucks)

Originally Posted by BristolUK

That's not a UK better than Canada thing, quite the reverse. While good coffee - or real coffee - was the norm in North America, the UK was mostly instant for decades and I guess that's why some instants were developed to be at least quite decent.

But even in other parts of Europe where real coffee has been the norm, they have a few decent instants. "Ordinary" Nescafe is not the same ordinary in different countries.
True, this is the conclusion I'm coming too. I found some Douwe Egberts online, for around $20 a jar, I was just wondering whether anyone knew of a nice shop that would stock decent, British instant at a sensible price. I guess inspire by the discovery of the nice British section at the Keele + Finch walmart, which is miles from any anglo-settlement I know of....
Old Aug 31st 2018, 2:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I found some Douwe Egberts online, for around $20 a jar,
https://www.amazon.ca/Carte-Noire-Coffee-100g/dp/B004AVGC0C/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1535723885&sr=1-2&keywords=carte+noire
Edit to add:
I see what Siouxie was complaining about with amazon links now.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 31st 2018 at 2:06 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 2:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

So, I still rely on a mug of instant to get me out of the house most workday mornings. Filter coffee is a weekend/ late start treat, when I'll be having 2-3 mugs.
Timmy's Drive-thru? When in Rome...
Old Aug 31st 2018, 2:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In my tour of duty in white mans graveyard, I learned to survive off the Nestle 3-in-1 sachets. Two sachets would give something approximating coffee even though I prefer it without sugar. A few years of counselling have got me through that but I still get triggered by sachet coffee (a canadian got the Starbucks instant sachets for double impact- sachet AND starbucks)

True, this is the conclusion I'm coming too. I found some Douwe Egberts online, for around $20 a jar, I was just wondering whether anyone knew of a nice shop that would stock decent, British instant at a sensible price. I guess inspire by the discovery of the nice British section at the Keele + Finch walmart, which is miles from any anglo-settlement I know of....

You said you like the Folgers Instant Coffee - and that's all those sachets contain, no sugar or other such rubbish - which is why I posted them. Yes, 2 Sachets to a coffee if you prefer it stronger.

Or you could just order Folgers Instant from Walmart.
I already provided the link - and you are most welcome.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 3:18 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
Timmy's Drive-thru? When in Rome...
Old Aug 31st 2018, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I've had to experience many brands of instant coffee in my traveling days, sometimes in good quality hotels, but never discovered one yet that didn’t stick out as Instant. I guess in the UK, if that’s all one drinks then that’s all one knows.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 12:52 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I've had to experience many brands of instant coffee in my traveling days, sometimes in good quality hotels, but never discovered one yet that didn’t stick out as Instant. I guess in the UK, if that’s all one drinks then that’s all one knows.

There is truth in that, but....
...in hotels and restaurants in Spain, Greece and France I've often been served with a sachet or 'tube' of Nescafe granules which just gets added to the hot water in the cup and it's been very nice. Just not the same ordinary Nescafe in the UK at all. Carte Noir and Master Blend instants were very good, as were Nescafe Alta Rica. They cost more than your basic Nescafe or Maxwell House. Even Gold Blend wasn't bad.

In Greece, ordinary Nescafe instant is sold in a tin, like this.
It's a totally different taste to Nescafe sold in the UK and Canada.

Not all instants are the same even when they appear so.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I had the worst cappucino in a restaurant on the southern coast of Victoria .............. they advertised on their menu Espresso coffee, plus Latte and Cappucino.

and there was a huge bright Espresso machine with all the bells and whistles near the kitchen

So I persuaded my cousins that we should all have Cappucino ............ it seemed a long time coming, so myself and one of the cousins went to the back of the place, stood next to the Espresso machine, and watched one of the servers come out of the kitchen carrying a tray with 5 coffees, take it to the machine, then add steamed milk and froth.

I wondered a little bit ................ then I tasted it.

Yep, instant coffee!!!!!

Cousins didn't seem to think it was too bad

I thought it was horrible!
Old Sep 1st 2018, 3:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Sep 1st 2018, 6:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

if you add the cream of milk to the granules first and then add water the instant tastes better
Old Sep 1st 2018, 7:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
if you add the cream of milk to the granules first and then add water the instant tastes better
Is that like cream before/after jam on scones?
Or like my Coffee/Tea must be drunk from a cup with a white inside?
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 7:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Whenever I have accidentally done that, I've found that the granules don't disolve properly?

In any case, do you drink coffee? Somehow I thought you didn't. Or maybe that's tea?
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 7:48 am
Yo

Is that like cream before/after jam on scones?
?
Jam on scones, no thank you !
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 12:18 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
Jam on scones, no thank you !
No, not jam...jam and cream....or cream and jam. It has to be both. It's the law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.