Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The income you need to buy a home in BC

The income you need to buy a home in BC

Old Nov 14th 2018, 3:11 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default The income you need to buy a home in BC

I read this article this evening and feel rather fortunate to be living in a city where homes for sale align with local earnings. Thought it might be interesting.

Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The income you need to buy a home in BC

No real surprises, in that top 20 list there is not one we could buy a home in. lol
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:10 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

The top 20 should be taken with a pinch of salt as a definitive list - it's missing major cities like Kelowna/West Kelowna, Chilliwack and towns like Vernon.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the numbers. If someone has an income of $163,193 that person can borrow about $500,000. If a house costs $1,196,350 then the house is "affordable" if that person happens to have $700,000 in cash. One might as well say the house is affordable by someone with an income of $63,193 and suppose they found another hundred grand down the back of the sofa.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 2:31 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​How bad is Abbotsford right now!!!
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't understand the numbers. If someone has an income of $163,193 that person can borrow about $500,000. If a house costs $1,196,350 then the house is "affordable" if that person happens to have $700,000 in cash. One might as well say the house is affordable by someone with an income of $63,193 and suppose they found another hundred grand down the back of the sofa.

They are using 20% down according to the fine print, but at the high cost of housing, I wonder how many people end up with 20% down.

Many of these city's also have rent affordability issues as well.

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
​​​​​How bad is Abbotsford right now!!!
Even Chilliwack is getting up there price wise.

Both also have rent affordability and stock issues.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 14th 2018 at 6:49 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 8:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theloop.ca/this-is-the-m...across-canada/
Meanwhile, elsewhere in Canada...
https://www.zoocasa.com/blog/these-a...ts-in-ontario/

Yikes! Sorry, that was way too big http://www.rentseeker.ca/blog/index....ss-canada/1829
Hamilton ha got far more expensive since the Toronto crowd discovered it

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 14th 2018 at 8:41 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www.theloop.ca/this-is-the-m...across-canada/
Meanwhile, elsewhere in Canada...
https://www.zoocasa.com/blog/these-a...ts-in-ontario/

Yikes! Sorry, that was way too big How Much Do You Need to Earn to Afford a Home in Cities Across Canada
Hamilton ha got far more expensive since the Toronto crowd discovered it

That first link, so FREDERICTON and CHARLOTTETOWN are within our income range, but our income would drop in either place most likely.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They are using 20% down according to the fine print, but at the high cost of housing, I wonder how many people end up with 20% down.
Suppose one has $250,000 in cash. That's 20% down on 1,196,350 so there's just 957,080 left to pay. To get a mortgage for 957,080 you need an income of $320,000 (you have to meet other criteria too but that's one limiting factor). $163,193 is only halfway there and that's without considering the utter stupidity of taking the biggest loan the bank will give you.

I don't think the chart is at all realistic. I should, of course, have noticed at the outset that it's published by an estate agent and not tried to make sense of it.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 1:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That first link, so FREDERICTON and CHARLOTTETOWN are within our income range, but our income would drop in either place most likely.
Fredericton - $30,000
$97,500 and dozens in between.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 4:24 am
Account Closed

Suppose one has $250,000 in cash. That's 20% down on 1,196,350 so there's just 957,080 left to pay. To get a mortgage for 957,080 you need an income of $320,000 (you have to meet other criteria too but that's one limiting factor). $163,193 is only halfway there and that's without considering the utter stupidity of taking the biggest loan the bank will give you.

I don't think the chart is at all realistic. I should, of course, have noticed at the outset that it's published by an estate agent and not tried to make sense of it.
Useful info. I am not good enough with math, but figured someone would be able to figure it out.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned this before, but those property shows on TV flummox me. Young couple, early 30's, two young kids and a baby on the way (so factor in drops in income in recent years with maternity leaves), and their budget is $1.6m. How??

Not every couple across a whole series could have made a killing on the market, or had a wealthy parent leave them $800k, so what size are the mortgages these people are taking on?! Scares the bejeezus out of me.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Fredericton - $30,000
$97,500 and dozens in between.
According to the mortgage calculator affordability on that site, if making 15/hr working full-time with 10,000 could get a mortgage of 122,000.

Not sure how accurate the calculators are.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 7:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the old 3x salary multiplier ?
Old Nov 15th 2018, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
What happened to the old 3x salary multiplier ?
Houses got to expensive in parts of Canada and incomes didn't follow the trend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.