Income Tax 2021

Old Feb 21st 2022, 10:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Income Tax 2021

Today was the first day for Netfiling.

I use SimpleTax which is now WealthsimpleTax. I had almost everything saved and went onto the site to complete today only to discover that Netfiling was temporarily unavailable.
My mother in law had yet to receive a T4 so I was going to use the retrieve from CRA feature but that wasn't working either. So I entered it manually, having got the info from the CRA site.

Netfiling all back later this afternoon so all done.

Just for information, this particular company does it free (no income limits) and invites you to pay what you want.
In past years I have just made a single payment when I have done the last of three different returns, selecting zero contribution on completion of the first two.

There was no clear option for that this time and no button to carry on with other returns but refreshing the page enabled me to skip, carry on and eventually pay what I thought it was worth.

I mean, you could pay the same total three times rather than once, it just made it look as if you had to pay a minimum of $20 per return. I thought that was a bit sneaky considering the site warns that "free doesn't necessarily mean free" with other companies as if they are above that sort of sneakiness.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax 2021

First time doing this, are there any websites with easy to use guides (equivalent of money saving expert in the UK) I'm going to use turbotax/wealth simple etc - but just a bit confused on some of my stuff (alternatively if anyone knows the answers below)

I worked 2 jobs last year where I was classed as an independent contractor - so I'm responsible for my own taxes.

One job involved visiting various sites, travelling in my truck to the job - so assume I can claim mileage rate back for these (I was usually billing hours for this driving time as would go to a depot in the morning, clock in, collect supplies, head to site(s) etc to do jobs)

The other involved driving to a site (99% of the time the same site) picking up their vehicle and using it for a shift, then returning the vehicle to that site/another site at the end of the job, I'd then make my way back to my vehicle/home - to me in the UK this felt like commuting.

By the same token, my other half works in traffic control - drives mostly off the clock to various job sites, does her job, clocks off and comes home - I wouldn't view this as deductible but many of her colleagues state it is?
Old Feb 25th 2022, 3:24 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax 2021

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Today was the first day for Netfiling.

I use SimpleTax which is now WealthsimpleTax. I had almost everything saved and went onto the site to complete today only to discover that Netfiling was temporarily unavailable.
My mother in law had yet to receive a T4 so I was going to use the retrieve from CRA feature but that wasn't working either. So I entered it manually, having got the info from the CRA site.

Netfiling all back later this afternoon so all done.

Just for information, this particular company does it free (no income limits) and invites you to pay what you want.
In past years I have just made a single payment when I have done the last of three different returns, selecting zero contribution on completion of the first two.

There was no clear option for that this time and no button to carry on with other returns but refreshing the page enabled me to skip, carry on and eventually pay what I thought it was worth.

I mean, you could pay the same total three times rather than once, it just made it look as if you had to pay a minimum of $20 per return. I thought that was a bit sneaky considering the site warns that "free doesn't necessarily mean free" with other companies as if they are above that sort of sneakiness.
I believe retrieve from CRA should be live by 1st March.

I owe money this year so in no rush to file.

I normally use TurboTax. Remember your tax software can be written off too!