Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Importation of a Dog?

Importation of a Dog?

Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of
Default Importation of a Dog?

Hi guys,

I normally stay on the US forum, but I will be in Toronto next week on business. Next week, I am getting a 14 month old partially trained German Shepherd and a GSD puppy shipped to me from Germany. These are both going to be for the most part family pets, and I was wondering what were the Canada Customs requirements for the importation of the dogs, specifically in regards to taxes. Would I have to pay GST on them?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:37 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Importation of a Dog?

Originally Posted by BILDER
Hi guys,

I normally stay on the US forum, but I will be in Toronto next week on business. Next week, I am getting a 14 month old partially trained German Shepherd and a GSD puppy shipped to me from Germany. These are both going to be for the most part family pets, and I was wondering what were the Canada Customs requirements for the importation of the dogs, specifically in regards to taxes. Would I have to pay GST on them?
Technically the answer is Yes you might have to pay something. I say this as when we imported our dog and she was not on our goods-to-follow list the CBSA officer said I need to look into this otherwise I have to charge import tax.

They did check our ID for landing visa + stamps to ensure she was being imported via someone with a permament resident visa.

Nearly all discussions on this forum about pet importation will be linked to taking up residence which allows us to bring our pets free of charge, so you may not much response.

JB