Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ikea coming to Winnipeg

Ikea coming to Winnipeg

Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ikea coming to Winnipeg

For the residents of southern Manitoba.

As reported on CBC Radio news this morning, Ikea has confirmed it is coming to Winnipeg between 2011 and 2013.

Winnipeg Sun report: http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winn...6/7766146.html

Last edited by Steve_P; Dec 17th 2008 at 3:25 pm. Reason: Because some people are idiots.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:43 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ikea coming to Winnipeg

I hate Ikea, not because of the reason some people hate Walmart, but because of the of stores' layout. Up until a few years ago, supposedly, all stores around the world were designed to be identical in layout. Once one was inside it was almost impossible to pickup what was wanted and head directly for checkout. The layout had you cover almost the whole store before locating checkout, if indeed it could be located. It became a contentious issue between customers and the company. A new store was built in Toronto perhaps 3/5 years ago with a new layout that allowed for quicker exit. It's still not my favourite place but my imprisonment fear factor has decreased considerably.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

BlueSky11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had not realised the layout was designed to make you go everywhere but now you mention it I can see that, I feel the power of advertising and business and the men in grey suits clutching at my heart....
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:49 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
As reported on CBC Radio news this morning, Ikea has confirmed it is coming to Winnipeg between 2011 and 2013.

Winnipeg Sun report: http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winn...6/7766146.html
Oh boo hoo why won't they come to Nova Scotia...PLEASE IKEA come here, please please PLEASE
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:51 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Steve_P;7076039]As reported on CBC Radio news this morning, Ikea has confirmed it is coming to Winnipeg between 2011 and 2013.

Are you "reporting" this for information purposes to Manitobans only or would you countenance driving 1300km from Calgary to Winnipeg to shop at an Ikea store?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:53 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't, Calgary already has one. I think the percieved market is Southern Saskatchewan, MB, North Dakota, Northwest Ontario and North Minnesota, a potential market of over 3 million.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
I hate Ikea, not because of the reason some people hate Walmart, but because of the of stores' layout. Up until a few years ago, supposedly, all stores around the world were designed to be identical in layout. Once one was inside it was almost impossible to pickup what was wanted and head directly for checkout. The layout had you cover almost the whole store before locating checkout, if indeed it could be located. It became a contentious issue between customers and the company. A new store was built in Toronto perhaps 3/5 years ago with a new layout that allowed for quicker exit. It's still not my favourite place but my imprisonment fear factor has decreased considerably.
Do you never see the "shortcut" signs on doors?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Do you never see the "shortcut" signs on doors?
I thought I was being good in letting that go. The IKEA at the bottom of the 427 has always had a shortcut and the one at Leslie and Shepherd has had one since I've being going there, 1982 or so.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I thought I was being good in letting that go. The IKEA at the bottom of the 427 has always had a shortcut and the one at Leslie and Shepherd has had one since I've being going there, 1982 or so.
Same, they're not secret and they're pretty well marked, even on storemaps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/halfbyte/2266410321/
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:06 pm
Banned

I guess I'm shopping/Ikea challenged. Notwithstanding, I still hate the place.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:12 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind them coming, it can only be good for Manitoba. A nice cooked breakfast for 99 Cents. There are early rumours though that a "super" walmart will be built in the same development, which i hope doesn't happen. How many wal-marts does one need?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
I don't mind them coming, it can only be good for Manitoba. A nice cooked breakfast for 99 Cents. There are early rumours though that a "super" walmart will be built in the same development, which i hope doesn't happen. How many wal-marts does one need?
Less than zero.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianscottie43

Are you "reporting" this for information purposes to Manitobans only or would you countenance driving 1300km from Calgary to Winnipeg to shop at an Ikea store?
What do you think?

Get over yourself.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:24 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What do you think?

Get over yourself.
So that's a yes then.....

Pick me up some Dime Bar like things whilst your there will you
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

IKEA has a policy of only opening stores where the demographic is overwhelmingly immigrant, hence the lack of stores in the fly-over portion of the US. Does this mean that Winnipeg is now a cosmopolitan metropolis; the Paris of the Praries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.