Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If you could move on...

If you could move on...

Old Jun 7th 2018, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could move on...

Spring and summer would be fine here.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:08 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Clacton-on-Sea. We used to go there for our holidays. It's lovely in the summer.
This time last week I was sitting outside Riddle and Finn on Brighton front with half a dozen oysters and a bottle of fizz. 😎
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:09 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Spring and summer would be fine here.
Donegal or Mayo? 😆
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Donegal or Mayo? 😆
Craggy Island?
Old Jun 8th 2018, 1:35 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can keep French Polynesia, I wasn't impressed when I was in Tahiti for 2 weeks, 33 years ago, I had the worst food poisoning in my life after our first night (as did the family we met up with).. though the Cook Islands were lovely and the people wonderful, as was Fiji and the Fijians.
The main problem with Tahiti is that it's too small and isolated, I would be bored stiff, hence the reason I said New Caledonia, which is still small and isolated but nothing like Tahiti. Sort of like a French version of New Zealand, but warmer.

The snag is that it's not part of the EU, so you've got to be French to move there.

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Many, many years ago (!), my new wife and I left our jobs in Toronto and drove one of those snowbirds' cars down to Florida on our way to Nassau, Bahamas, where we found work and saved enough to go travelling before ending up in Cayman. Any Canadian resident looking for overseas work should at least consider one of the the West Indian islands.
Having lived through Hurricane Andrew, no thanks. At least in Florida you can escape, on an island though you're really buggered. Both The Bahamas and the Caymans get hit pretty often. Also they're only a foot or two above sea level, so you're really asking for it. (And God are there a lot of mosquitoes on the Caymans).

If you must do this strategically I think Grand Bahama is the best place because no tax and it's actually reasonably sized. But Freeport is a dump. Couldn't live there.

Hence my suggestion of New Caledonia, it does also get hit by cyclones but it has mountains.

Obviously you've got to pay French taxes but meh, didn't put all this money in my RRSP for tax avoidance just to not pay tax.

Not that I've spent any time thinking about this subject, you understand.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 1:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Donegal or Mayo? 😆
Mayo. I was in Donegal and I don't recognise the rocks.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The main problem with Tahiti is that it's too small and isolated, I would be bored stiff, hence the reason I said New Caledonia, which is still small and isolated but nothing like Tahiti. Sort of like a French version of New Zealand, but warmer. The snag is that it's not part of the EU, so you've got to be French to move there.

Having lived through Hurricane Andrew, no thanks. At least in Florida you can escape, on an island though you're really buggered. Both The Bahamas and the Caymans get hit pretty often. Also they're only a foot or two above sea level, so you're really asking for it. (And God are there a lot of mosquitoes on the Caymans).
Well, we've been here (Cayman) for 40 years and only had the one hurricane, in 2004. We even dropped our hurricane insurance for ten years after that, storms are so rare. But yes, we have too many mosquitoes, after rain, but we can live with them. Bahamas gets hit more often - although there were no storms during the three years we lived there a while back.

New Caledonia might be OK if you speak French fluently, but not otherwise, surely. You know what the French are like with people who can't speak their language. We loved our three years in Vanuatu (when it was the New Hebrides, in the '70s), but their mosquitoes were malarial, and probably still are. As must be the New Caledonian ones, I'd think. People told me I was lucky I only caught malaria, in New Hebs; Dengue is way worse, they said. Are you ready for that?!

Last edited by Gordon Barlow; Jun 8th 2018 at 2:38 am.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Mayo. I was in Donegal and I don't recognise the rocks.
You nearly had it all, well done. It's Inisbofin Island so actually Galway but Mayo counts too and is close enough:-).
Would probably be too slow paced long term, but a few months of the year especially summer definitely. Then maybe a busier town near the Med the rest of the year.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
New Caledonia might be OK if you speak French fluently, but not otherwise, surely. You know what the French are like with people who can't speak their language. We loved our three years in Vanuatu (when it was the New Hebrides, in the '70s), but their mosquitoes were malarial, and probably still are. As must be the New Caledonian ones, I'd think. People told me I was lucky I only caught malaria, in New Hebs; Dengue is way worse, they said. Are you ready for that?!
My French isn't too bad, I'm sure if I had to use it everyday I would become fluent. Apparently malaria isn't in New Caledonia: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/new-caledonia

Everywhere has got downsides.

Anyway this has caused me to look into it and actually it's not too difficult to simply reside there, it's only working there where getting a visa appears to be complex.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

T
The snag is that it's not part of the EU, so you've got to be French to move there.
This snag is about to become a moot point.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently malaria isn't in New Caledonia: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/new-caledonia
Thanks for correcting me, Steve. I just assumed...! The CDC site warns against Hepatitis A. That's the other disease I got in the (then) New Hebrides, and was worse than the malaria, for me. Very exhausting! And it's not nice to think that it's now a general risk. (Incidentally, I note that malaria and hepatitis A are both prevalent in Tahiti.)
Old Jun 10th 2018, 1:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Shard
This snag is about to become a moot point.
I see another referendum as a possibility, apparently some MPs want a referendum on whatever deal is agreed. Which presupposes a deal is agreed.

Anyway I looked into it and apparently New Caledonia is not like Tahiti or some of the other French islands, anyone from anywhere in the Schengen Area can reside there, but everyone from abroad (including French citizens) have to get a work permit. So it's a bit like the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

So it looks like a Hep A vaccination for me then. They've got a five-star hotel and several Carrefours and McDonald's, I'll be fine.

They're having an independence referendum on November 4th so even Brexit is possibly moot.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

... anyone from anywhere in the Schengen Area can reside there, but everyone from abroad (including French citizens) have to get a work permit.
Pretty well all the tourists who visit the place are Australians or New Zealanders, so the shops all have placards in their windows saying "ENGLISH SPOKEN". So the local Francophones' slang term for English-speakers is "poken", pronounced poke-en. How's that for a piece of amusing-but-useless information?