Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If you could move on...

If you could move on...

Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could move on...

Originally Posted by Steve_
I always imagine the entrance to Hell resembles the junction of I-5 and I-805 northbound at rush hour (or pretty much any hour nowadays).
It can be pretty unpleasant during rush hour. I rarely drove that far north though, so never had to deal with it unless going to LA or Orange County. Outside of rush hour the freeways move full speed a head still, SD never got as bad Los Angeles but is still a lot smaller then the big neighbor to the north.

Still have more congestion and annoying traffic in Vancouver....lol... I find on average it takes about twice as long in Vancouver to travel the same distance vs San Diego. 8 miles in San Diego using the freeways about 12 mins on average, same distance in Vancouver 30-45 mins which is how long it takes me to get home from work at 2pm from YVR to East Van which is about 8 miles, but the difference is in Vancouver its all city streets stop and go which is why driving in Vancouver is such a horrendous experience...
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
San Diego, California. Maybe Hawaii or US Virgin Islands.
The US Virgin Islands has a pretty high crime rate and they drive on the left hand side of the road.

Most of the vehicles there have the drivers side set up for North American driving, so it's an adventure.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 1:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I met someone who was simultaneously living #11 and #14. She'd moved from Toronto to Tahiti and operated a dinghy and sailboard rental business. I can't say she seemed in constant ecstasy but when I met her she was in Toronto visiting her vexatious sister.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can keep French Polynesia, I wasn't impressed when I was in Tahiti for 2 weeks, 33 years ago, I had the worst food poisoning in my life after our first night (as did the family we met up with).. though the Cook Islands were lovely and the people wonderful, as was Fiji and the Fijians.
Fiji is on my bucket list.

I love tropical locations with an ocean.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Clacton-on-Sea. We used to go there for our holidays. It's lovely in the summer.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
The US Virgin Islands has a pretty high crime rate and they drive on the left hand side of the road.

Most of the vehicles there have the drivers side set up for North American driving, so it's an adventure.
Yep...been there and I noticed the drive on t'other side of road yet with Buicks and Chevy pickup trucks. Not a big fan of the caribbean as it is is virtually impossible to get away from it all and experience how the locals live etc but I've been the St Maarten and that was OK especially if you're into plane spotting close at hand and the french/dutch mix of the island is nice. I've also heard Martinique is nice.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester

Yep...been there and I noticed the drive on t'other side of road yet with Buicks and Chevy pickup trucks. Not a big fan of the caribbean as it is is virtually impossible to get away from it all and experience how the locals live etc but I've been to St Maarten and that was OK especially if you're into plane spotting close at hand and the french/dutch mix of the island is nice. I've also heard Martinique is nice.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Yep...been there and I noticed the drive on t'other side of road yet with Buicks and Chevy pickup trucks. Not a big fan of the caribbean as it is is virtually impossible to get away from it all and experience how the locals live etc but I've been to St Maarten and that was OK especially if you're into plane spotting close at hand and the french/dutch mix of the island is nice. I've also heard Martinique is nice.
One of my kids was in Martinique a couple of weeks ago. That's why moving to the Central African Republic is better than moving to Canada, you get lots of holidays and can go to exotic places.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
One of my kids was in Martinique a couple of weeks ago. That's why moving to the Central African Republic is better than moving to Canada, you get lots of holidays and can go to exotic places.
And the CAR isn't exotic enough.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:16 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'm with you there...a bit inland

https://goo.gl/maps/CB9hrquMnt32

with a view like this, a bakery nearby and maybe a bar as well...within striking distance of the Alps, home games for Nice and Monaco and without some of the crazy coastline prices.

and beautiful scenery like this nearby

https://goo.gl/maps/Qzy894J6SxJ2

Yep France for me as well. Wouldn't turn my nose up at Italy as well.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:47 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Palawan island, Philippines.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 8:53 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment we are still wanting to move to Ontario, but OH has thrown a bit of a curve ball into the mix and has suggested RVing for a couple of years - selling up everything, including the E Type but keeping the Torino and if he's keeping that then I'm keeping my Capri lol. Then just bumming around, then settling into something more modest. I wonder if we should get the something more modest and then just RV for the winter, then we wouldn't have to pay for storage for the cars.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: If you could move on...

Originally Posted by Steve_
I always imagine the entrance to Hell resembles the junction of I-5 and I-805 northbound at rush hour (or pretty much any hour nowadays).
So very very true the gateway to hell!
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I would go back to France. I would probably even go back to Luxeuil Les bains where I grew up. I am still in contact with a couple of School friends there and could probably rekindle a couple of other friendships. Hubby speaks french so I think that could work perfectly.
Property is relatively cheap in the east of France too.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Many, many years ago (!), my new wife and I left our jobs in Toronto and drove one of those snowbirds' cars down to Florida on our way to Nassau, Bahamas, where we found work and saved enough to go travelling before ending up in Cayman. Any Canadian resident looking for overseas work should at least consider one of the the West Indian islands. They offer a Western lifestyle, good salaries, usually - and some of them don't even levy Income Tax. (I think Bahamas and Bermuda impose a salaries tax, but other income isn't taxed there.) Cayman has quite large communities of Canadians and British expats, and many of the other islands have smaller communities of both. (Our expats make up 60-70% of the total population.)

Cayman is not a place to retire to, unless you're filthy rich. (We were grandfathered in, so we don't have to be multi-millionaires; but any newcomer retiree would.) It's wildly expensive, and the government is generally anti-expat - although it makes an exception for its own employees. For other information, you can check in at BE's Caribbean forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.