British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   If you could live in any province with same income...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/if-you-could-live-any-province-same-income-610683/)

Novocastrian May 22nd 2009 1:57 am

If you could live in any province with same income...?

https://www.angusreidforum.com/Media...rt-for-ARF.pdf

Angus Reid poll.

BC & NFL apparently. Must be the water.

Danny B May 22nd 2009 2:01 am

Re: If you could live in any province with same income...?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7595486)

Angus Reid poll.

Must be the mild winter for BC, don't know what the plus is for NFL.

dbd33 May 22nd 2009 2:02 am

Angus Reid poll.

Presumably the people who want to move to Newfoundland mostly came from Newfoundland.

livermanl May 22nd 2009 2:06 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7595499)
Presumably the people who want to move to Newfoundland mostly came from Newfoundland.

Or drunks???

iaink May 22nd 2009 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 7595495)
Must be the mild winter for BC, don't know what the plus is for NFL.

Cost of property, "relaxed" lifestyle perhaps?

Would be an interesting poll if it was choose a province based on having the same purchasing power...probably a landslide for BC?

ann m May 22nd 2009 3:04 am

Must be the water.

I agree. I'd opt for a 'near the sea' location too. And somewhere that Spring arrives before the middle of May. Think we'd need a higher income for BC though

iaink May 22nd 2009 3:25 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7595691)
I agree. I'd opt for a 'near the sea' location too. And somewhere that Spring arrives before the middle of May. Think we'd need a higher income for BC though

makes no sense to me, All the habitable bit of Ontario is along side a huge fresh water lake, might as well be the see as there are beaches and you cant see the other side. Manitoba is nothing but lakes... I'd rather go swim in a freah water lake than the sea. I grew up by the sea, and remember the smell well!

livermanl May 22nd 2009 3:30 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7595765)
makes no sense to me, All the habitable bit of Ontario is along side a huge fresh water lake, might as well be the see as there are beaches and you cant see the other side. Manitoba is nothing but lakes... I'd rather go swim in a freah water lake than the sea. I grew up by the sea, and remember the smell well!

Preferences kick in again I really miss the sea (not that I ever used to swim in it) but there is something to be said for air quality the nice breeze off of the ocean on a warm summers day. The lakes aren't quite the same.

Souvenir May 22nd 2009 3:38 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7595765)

You would swim in Lake Ontario?

ann m May 22nd 2009 3:40 am

Oh - I get a kick out of any large body of water and I love lakes too - but the sea definately has something more about it. Or should that be less, like borders and edges and land on the horizon ;)

Butch Cassidy May 22nd 2009 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7595802)

Just once though. :p

iaink May 22nd 2009 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7595802)

I would and do, North Beach, Sandbanks, both beautiful spots.

Didnt last year though as it was such a lousy summer it never got warm enough.

iaink May 22nd 2009 3:56 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7595809)
Oh - I get a kick out of any large body of water and I love lakes too - but the sea definately has something more about it. Or should that be less, like borders and edges and land on the horizon ;)

So just like lake ontario then?

Souvenir May 22nd 2009 3:59 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7595842)
I would and do, North Beach, Sandbanks, both beautiful spots.

Didnt last year though as it was such a lousy summer it never got warm enough.

A mate of mine in Oakville went swimming in Lake Ontario and ended up in hospital with blood poisoning.

iaink May 22nd 2009 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7595864)
A mate of mine in Oakville went swimming in Lake Ontario and ended up in hospital with blood poisoning.

I went swimming in the Med and ended up in hospital with an urchin embedded in my foot...whatsyourpoint?

You think the sea is any cleaner? Its simply a case of where you choose to swim and where the sewage plant is. All the beaches around here have regular bacterial assesments done, and if its not safe they are posted closed. If you choose to swim after that its you own lookout.

Probably a lot cleaner out here away from TO anyway, but as someone else pointed out, its not like people swim in the ocean, its just the vista, and maybe proximity to fresh sea food...

Souvenir May 22nd 2009 4:13 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7595882)
I went swimming in the Med and ended up in hospital with an urchin embedded in my foot...whatsyourpoint?

You think the sea is any cleaner? Its simply a case of where you choose to swim and where the sewage plant is. All the beaches around here have regular bacterial assesments done, and if its not safe they are posted closed. If you choose to swim after that its you own lookout.

Probably a lot cleaner out here away from TO anyway, but as someone else pointed out, its not like people swim in the ocean, its just the vista, and maybe proximity to fresh sea food...

You're right. I spent the first 19 years of my life in Brighton. I could probably count the number of times I went into the sea on the fingers of one hand. Maybe I just took it for granted.

Novocastrian May 22nd 2009 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 7595897)
You're right. I spent the first 19 years of my life in Brighton. I could probably count the number of times I went into the sea on the fingers of one hand. Maybe I just took it for granted.

I think this forum is a lot like the sea. You throw something in and it just drifts away.

iaink May 22nd 2009 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7595939)
I think this forum is a lot like the sea. You throw something in and it just drifts away.

I think you might be right, but for different reasons. Maybe its because the beach I grew up beside has a sewage storm drain...lets just say that not everything drifted away and leave it at that:sneaky:

Novocastrian May 22nd 2009 4:36 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7595956)
I think you might be right, but for different reasons. Maybe its because the beach I grew up beside has a sewage storm drain...lets just say that not everything drifted away and leave it at that:sneaky:

Another parallel with this forum.

BristolUK May 22nd 2009 5:53 am

Iaink made an important point about purchasing power.

It's that which took us to the Maritimes from Quebec and NB for the bilingual aspect; OH and kids being French.

Winters make me wish we were in BC.

The sea is nice but there is plenty of water about and even rivers can fill that desire.

Novocastrian May 22nd 2009 8:12 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7596086)
Iaink made an important point about purchasing power.

It's that which took us to the Maritimes from Quebec and NB for the bilingual aspect; OH and kids being French.

Winters make me wish we were in BC.

The sea is nice but there is plenty of water about and even rivers can fill that desire.

Well, give old Angus a shout and tell him what to ask next time.

iaink May 22nd 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7596308)
Well, give old Angus a shout and tell him what to ask next time.

One way to interpret that survey is that those already in BC can afford to be there on current income, and are happy to stay. Those in NFLd realise they cant afford to live anywhere else and had better stay put?

Given the parameters of the survey its probably helpful to add the average (Stats Canada) 2006 Income by province;

Newfoundland and Labrador 50,500
Prince Edward Island 56,100
Nova Scotia 56,400
New Brunswick 54,000
Quebec 51,600 59,000
Ontario 59,600 66,600
Manitoba 58,700
Saskatchewan 60,500
Alberta 78,400
British Columbia 62,600

Im somewhat surprised Ontarians earn more than those in BC on average to be honest...but not surprised that AB is way out ahead of everyone else!

Butch Cassidy May 22nd 2009 8:34 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7596331)
One way to interpret that survey is that those already in BC can afford to be there on current income, and are happy to stay. Those in NFLd realise they cant afford to live anywhere else and had better stay put?

Given the parameters of the survey its probably helpful to add the average (Stats Canada) 2006 Income by province;

Nova Scotia 56,400
New Brunswick 54,000
Quebec 51,600 59,000
Ontario 59,600 66,600
Manitoba 58,700
Saskatchewan 60,500
Alberta 78,400
British Columbia 62,600

Im somewhat surprised Ontarians earn more than those in BC on average to be honest...but not surprised that AB is way out ahead of everyone else!

Are these household or individual incomes?

iaink May 22nd 2009 8:34 am

But then again, up north is the place to be....although I expect it costs a lot more to keep warm....

Yukon 76,000
Northwest Territories 88,800
Nunavut 54,300

"Median Total Income"

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil108a-eng.htm

Novocastrian May 22nd 2009 8:37 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7596331)

Nova Scotia 56,400
New Brunswick 54,000
Quebec 51,600 59,000
Ontario 59,600 66,600
Manitoba 58,700
Saskatchewan 60,500
Alberta 78,400
British Columbia 62,600

By the way; PEI isn't in Angus' table because the sample size was too small to be statistically significant.

Just in case you wondered. :)

Butch Cassidy May 22nd 2009 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7596345)
By the way; PEI isn't in Angus' table because the sample size was too small to be statistically significant.

Just in case you wondered. :)

You know Novo I was indeed wondering why PEI was not included. In fact I was nearing the point of calling young Angus and enquiring as the reason for this glaring ommission.

Novocastrian May 22nd 2009 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7596358)
You know Novo I was indeed wondering why PEI was not included. In fact I was nearing the point of calling young Angus and enquiring as the reason for this glaring ommission.

Apparently lots of people did. :unsure:

dboy May 23rd 2009 9:02 am

Not hard to see why with the spring we have had in the Lower Main Land - absolutely beautiful.

Novocastrian May 24th 2009 10:59 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7598382)
Not hard to see why with the spring we have had in the Lower Main Land - absolutely beautiful.

Beautiful springtime here too. Today is May 24th; I've just checked the temperature of the (unheated) pool and it is at 20C. I can't remember it being that warm so early in the 16 years we've lived in this house.

fledermaus May 24th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7600524)
Beautiful springtime here too. Today is May 24th; I've just checked the temperature of the (unheated) pool and it is at 20C. I can't remember it being that warm so early in the 16 years we've lived in this house.

I was just sitting with my feet in the river, it didn't seem that cold.

weh heh!!!

Novocastrian May 24th 2009 11:25 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 7600541)
I was just sitting with my feet in the river, it didn't seem that cold.

weh heh!!!

Get yer hair wet hinny.

BristolUK May 24th 2009 11:28 am

Of course, a little appreciated advantage of living in Atlantic Canada is we're only 4 hours behind the UK.

So the first two games of footie on Saturdays don't take place at some ungodly hour.
:p

Novocastrian May 24th 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7600563)
Of course, a little appreciated advantage of living in Atlantic Canada is we're only 4 hours behind the UK.

So the first two games of footie on Saturdays don't take place at some ungodly hour.
:p

True. But as of today, that is completely immaterial. :o

BristolUK May 24th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7600566)
True. But as of today, that is completely immaterial. :o

Yes...It's a sad day. :(
The Prem would benefit from a strong Newcastle.

Novocastrian May 24th 2009 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7600588)
Yes...It's a sad day. :(
The Prem would benefit from a strong Newcastle.

Yer mean Broon?

fledermaus May 24th 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7600559)
Get yer hair wet hinny.

which one?

Novocastrian May 24th 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 7600645)
which one?

I will not be drawn on that point.

Enjoy the gin.