Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by Oink
Says the woman from San Diego.
Touche!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

So to add my 'tuppance worth to this whole argument.

I am a Scot currently living in San Diego. My circumstances are such that we will be relocating again in a couple of years; where to depends on jobs (OH is a research scientist). I say this because I think it affects how I feel.

My side of the family seem to be pretty set on staying in the Union - most say the plan has not been clearly defined enough so the SNP have shot themselves in the foot before even really getting anywhere.

My in laws are staunch independence supporters. This includes my hubby - reasons being that we are not represented well at Westminster etc. However, hubby does say he would be concerned about science research funding etc.

Personally, I know that I am currently considered a swing vote. I can see both sides (depending on who I talk to ha ha!). If I KNEW we'd return to Scotland I'd probably want independence, but, as a Scot who may well end up living near one of the London Uni's I'd want the Union. There is no easy answer.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:21 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, not sure how true the info is.

http://alexmasterley.blogspot.ca/201...il-rights.html
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

"Scotland's immediate fiscal position would be in a worse state than the rest of the UK, partly because government spending per person is significantly higher in Scotland, mainly because of higher spending on public services rather than benefits. In 2011-12 this was more than matched by greater revenues from oil and gas, but over the longer term this will not be the case as oil and gas reserves – and the revenues they bring – dwindle."
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ications-niesr

Were it not for the oil revenues, would there be any realistic clamor for independence?

The oil money cant last forever and has already largely been pissed away by successive UK governments (See Norway by way of contrast).

Last edited by iaink; Feb 7th 2014 at 6:34 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:29 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is little doubt that Scotland could be a successful independent country if it so chooses. They certainly aren't going to become some african-esque comedy state if they have the audacity to declare independence from the UK.

The issue I find myself coming back to is that even Alex Salmond isn't advocating independence. He's advocating a half baked version of it that relies a lot on the structures and currency of the UK and a willingness to have Scotland as part of the EU with all that goes along with it.

If the Scots followed the Norwegians, or say the Swiss, and actually did their own thing for their own benefit I'd be sad to see them go but would be eager for them to succeed. They could certainly become more prosperous and have the more expensive welfare/social projects that those at the top seem to be interested in.

I don't think the current plan has much chance of improving Scotland...or of putting more "power" in the hands of Scots. That said, unless the result is ridiculously one sided for the "No" campaign there will clearly be more changes to the relationship of Scotland within the UK. I'd imagine it would also have a bearing on how Wales, NI and England operate.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

andrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the rough

Doomed... I, am now against ..
http://www.bbc.scotlandshire.co.uk/i...cientists.html
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
"Scotland's immediate fiscal position would be in a worse state than the rest of the UK, partly because government spending per person is significantly higher in Scotland, mainly because of higher spending on public services rather than benefits. In 2011-12 this was more than matched by greater revenues from oil and gas, but over the longer term this will not be the case as oil and gas reserves – and the revenues they bring – dwindle."
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ications-niesr

Were it not for the oil revenues, would there be any realistic clamor for independence?

The oil money cant last forever and has already largely been pissed away by successive UK governments (See Norway by way of contrast).
I dont think its all about the oil ,I think there is a want for change .People are pissed off with the UK political system.There cant be many people in England really happy with it?

Last edited by neilcumming; Feb 10th 2014 at 2:21 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:21 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
"
People say the same about Dubai, Saudi, Iran, Bahrain etc

Truth be told, the oil wells will continue to gush out black gold continuously till the end of time.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
People say the same about Dubai, Saudi, Iran, Bahrain etc

Truth be told, the oil wells will continue to gush out black gold continuously till the end of time.
They reckon there is more oil off the west of Scotland.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I dont think its all about the oil ,I think there is a want for change .People are pissed off with the UK political system.There cant be many people in England really happy with it?
Which non democratic system will they be using in an independent Scotland ?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
Which non democratic system will they be using in an independent Scotland ?
Most probably the non democratic system they use in the scottish parliament!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:22 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Most probably the non democratic system they use in the scottish parliament!
It's has to be better than the one being used in Westminster though...I mean look at the state of the country in terms of immigration, jobs and crime
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:01 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
It's has to be better than the one being used in Westminster though...I mean look at the state of the country in terms of immigration, jobs and crime
Yeh.... look on the bright side if you lost your job,because its been outsourced, to cheap labour in transalvania then get mugged by a foreigner,
the scottish hospitals and after care is better, and that is only because, you had a
Nigerian doctor, a polish and west indian nurse, to tuck you up everynight, and a
Dutch secretary to help you with the forms.
Then you rebuild your life in Aberdeen, marry a beatiful German girl, get a great job
on a scottish oil rig, owned by BP after being interviewed by a great receptive Norwegian manager, who invites you to meet your new french colleagues, at the newly
opened Bulgarian Restaurant on Crown Terrace, with ex young conservative politicians as waiters.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't know why everyone is being so hard-nosed about it all. Why not let Scotland go out on its own for a bit and if they find it difficult then let them come home and rejoin the union?
Thinking about it, that's not as strange as it sounds. Maybe it would resolve things once and for all.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I have noticed from people on here, is that its mostly people who originate from England that don't want Scotland to leave the union, (myself included) strange really as Scotland would be the worse off after such a split. I think the union works, as I said before im British first English second.

The only real argument Scotland has for independence is that its needs were ignored by Westminster, but I suppose the same could be said for any other region of the UK outside the capital and its surrounding areas.

How far do we take this independence thing, if people want to break up Britain why not go a step further and break up England into the three kingdoms it once was.

I feel the pro independence lobby is just people thinking with their hearts and not with their heads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.