Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by andrewjohn
, just unfortunate people can't see what can lie ahead of them for crying about Alex Salmond??
So what would lie ahead, other than a major exodus of multinationals seeking to minimise their tax burdens?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Economically depressed area, people living from cheque to cheque with nothing to look forward to in their old age, so why not just do what makes you feel good now, smoke, drink, enjoy the pleasures of a decent fry up, who would want to live to be 92 in East Kilbirde?
Didn't Alex Salmond say that Scotland contributes more in taxes than the rest of the UK. If that isn't all down to ciggies and booze then there are some big earners in Scotland to carry on contributing to their pot.

Given my background i'm not one to rubbish people for being poor and i don't think I have here. Poor people can't afford to eat well, in any country.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Get sick and tired of people who base their voting choice on Alex Salmond, you have a democratic right to vote for independence for your country and you base it on one individual, once independence is gained you can vote for who you want, Alex Salmond may not be in charge?

And Scotland does not need the UK, there is nothing United about it and putting the word great in front of britain does not make it extraordinary? Scotland is an extraordinary and great country and deserves its independence, just unfortunate people can't see what can lie ahead of them for crying about Alex Salmond??
Off topic I know, but what an odd avatar; are you being held hostage by a gang of elderly francophone women?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Get sick and tired of people who base their voting choice on Alex Salmond, you have a democratic right to vote for independence for your country and you base it on one individual, once independence is gained you can vote for who you want, Alex Salmond may not be in charge?

And Scotland does not need the UK, there is nothing United about it and putting the word great in front of britain does not make it extraordinary? Scotland is an extraordinary and great country and deserves its independence, just unfortunate people can't see what can lie ahead of them for crying about Alex Salmond??
Who's crying about Alex Salmond?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Who's crying about Alex Salmond?
His mum?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Didn't Alex Salmond say that Scotland contributes more in taxes than the rest of the UK. If that isn't all down to ciggies and booze then there are some big earners in Scotland to carry on contributing to their pot.

Given my background i'm not one to rubbish people for being poor and i don't think I have here. Poor people can't afford to eat well, in any country.
I think in large part it depends how you go about defining Scottish tax contributions. Large multinationals based in London extracting oil through Aberdeen perhaps fit his bill? Politicians have a talent for finding whatever stat they need to support their position. There is also the assumption made that they will remain to contribute to the Scottish tax base.

I dont think you were rubbishing the poor, and you are right, the poor dont have the luxury of eating well. I was just trying to illustrate why throwing money at the situation without changing the underlying psychology would be unlikely to have any positive results.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 7th 2014 at 5:09 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think in large part it depends how you go about defining Scottish tax contributions. Large multinationals based in London extracting oil through Aberdeen perhaps fit his bill? Politicians have a talent for finding whatever stat they need to support their position. There is also the assumption made that they will remain to contribute to the Scottish tax base.

I dont think you were rubbishing the poor, and you are right, the poor dont have the luxury of eating well. I was just trying to illustrate why throwing money at the situation without changing the underlying psychology would be unlikely to have any positive results.
I’ve never understood that. There are all kinds of different dried beans that are cheap or get vegetables in season and off cuts of beef and fish can make decent steak tartare or bouillabaisse. There's a nice Chinese lady who always takes my fish heads but I'd share them out if people asked.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope the 'man in the street' knows what he or she may be getting themselves into

I have the experience of 2 referendums in qc to fall back on

a divorce has its unintended consequences, not always pleasant

if they decide based on ignorance and false hope, and a hatred for those further south, that will be their problem

myself i am indifferent
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:30 pm

I don't know why everyone is being so hard-nosed about it all. Why not let Scotland go out on its own for a bit and if they find it difficult then let them come home and rejoin the union?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Oink
I’ve never understood that..
Its not rocket science. Fruit and Vegetables are not always in season, and when they are are not, then they are expensive. On a tight budget healthy choices take a back seat to inexpensive processed food that by rights should probably carry a health warning because they are crammed with saturated fat, salt and sugar.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Why is that the Norweigens are one of the healthiest nations in Europe and the Scots are not? Is it to do with control of the oil industry or the political party of the day?

The reason Greece et al are often referred to on topics of independence is that they are a good example of the kind powerlessness EU nations have to control their fiscal and monetary policy if things go wrong.

Scotland is being promised utopian conditions by a charlatan, whereas the reality is much different. It's important to examine the issues carefully rather than exaggerate the positive and shrug off the negative. So far, that doesn't seem to be happening.
I think you meant wealthiest.The north sea revenues go into a seperate fund at the treasury,Scotland gets a share but independent Norway benefits from all of it.
The problem with Greece is tax evasion $20 billion per year,nobody wanted to pay their taxes!Just crazy,cant see it happening in Scotland.
Im not expecting a utopia ,I know it will be a bumpy ride but we have had these social problems for decades .The scottish government have made some improvements and yes it will take time.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Economically depressed area, people living from cheque to cheque with nothing to look forward to in their old age, so why not just do what makes you feel good now, smoke, drink, enjoy the pleasures of a decent fry up, who would want to live to be 92 in East Kilbirde?
Have you actually been to East Kilbride recently? That is where I am from and all my family are still there. Yes there are some rough parts like any major town however there are also lots of really nice parts. I'd choose to live there over many of the Glasgow suburbs any day!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:43 pm

Its not rocket science. Fruit and Vegetables are not always in season, and when they are are not, then they are expensive. On a tight budget healthy choices take a back seat to inexpensive processed food that by rights should probably carry a health warning because they are crammed with saturated fat, salt and sugar.
There's always something in season. How hard is it to make a nice winter vegetable soup, ratatouille or a cassoulet? Don't make excuses for indolence.

https://www.google.ca/search?client=...ls=en&start=10
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Have you actually been to East Kilbride recently? That is where I am from and all my family are still there. Yes there are some rough parts like any major town however there are also lots of really nice parts. I'd choose to live there over many of the Glasgow suburbs any day!
Ill confess I havent. Perhaps you could suggest a suitably economically downtrodden concrete clad depressing newtown in its place.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Says the woman from San Diego.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.