Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:19 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by Shard
Only residents of Scotland can vote in the referendum (Scottish or not!).
This is correct.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Only residents of Scotland can vote in the referendum (Scottish or not!).
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/the_ind...questions.aspx
Old Feb 17th 2014, 3:07 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
With all due respect Scotland isnt a state,province or a region,we are a ancient country.Scots arent nebraskians,cornhuskers or newfies but a race with culture ,heritage ,history and languages.I know its hard but TRY and undrestand this.As for New Labour read New Tory and Darling heads the Better Together mob.
What about the Picts then?

I think you mean ethnic group not race.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 3:25 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I'm so pleased for you all that you have decided that (in the prospect of success) Scottish independence is going to fail.

So you are all psychic ey?

Why do you give a **** anyway?
Because we care....unlike some Scots who want independence at all costs.

If the argument was loaded with good points on the side of Independence,
I believe many other Brits would show their support.
Like people of N.Ireland I have met many Scots who still prefer staying under UK
common blanket, and say it wouldnt be the same enjoyable rebellious talk or banter exchange.
But knowing that the Scots who I have had the pleasure of sharing their company,
from barman, hardened chizeled engineers, travel companions shared pints, and
poltical debate, were only a miniscule represenatives of that fair and rugged land.

Political debate at present I wouldnt trust, I believe at present its only serving individuals self-interest.
I believe also the other Brit taxpayer have the right to want and believe, if the Scots
want their Independence, they go with the knowledge that they have to and need
stand on their own feet, with no further expectation of UK taxpayer support.
In the end its your call fellow or ex fellow citizen.What ever the end-status,
I will still enjoy wupping your Caledonian prostierias at Soccer and especially in the
6 nations with or without independence.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
I understand that Scotland has it's own culture, heritage, history and language. Not once did I deny that.. not too sure you can call Scots a race though. Does that mean that independence would be best for Scotland? Of course not. The world is a lot different now to what it was back in ancient times.

If you want to start talking Ancient history, then why don't we break the UK up into the tribal areas they once were before the Roman invasion?
No problem,Im just fed up hearing people comparing Scotland to a state in the US or a province in Canada and yes we are a race or an ehtnic group if you want to call it that,we are celtic,completlely different from britons or anglo-saxons.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

No problem,Im just fed up hearing people comparing Scotland to a state in the US or a province in Canada and yes we are a race or an ehtnic group if you want to call it that,we are celtic,completlely different from britons or anglo-saxons.
My comparison to a US State or Canadian Province was entirely contextual, based upon a smaller population of a larger politically entity moaning about not having a greater proportional representation. I could have easily have used Cornwall as an example, as it is another smaller population base with ancient Celtic heritage.. would that be better?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

and yes we are a race or an ehtnic group if you want to call it that,we are celtic,completlely different from britons or anglo-saxons.
Britons were what the Iron Age Celtic people were called before, and during, the Roman colonisation.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:19 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

so if scotland gets independence and lose the £ what will happen to all the pound lands? and how much would a £10 bag of heroin cost?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
My comparison to a US State or Canadian Province was entirely contextual, based upon a smaller population of a larger politically entity moaning about not having a greater proportional representation. I could have easily have used Cornwall as an example, as it is another smaller population base with ancient Celtic heritage.. would that be better?
Cornwall is a county or shire,try Norway .
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:26 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently not.

Who are the Celts?
There is a lot of controversy about this question but the answer is really very simple. A Celt is anyone who speaks or spoke a Celtic language. However, we should be very careful not to think of the Celts as a distinct race. The Celtic language came to Ireland from Central Europe but there is no evidence that it was brought by large numbers of people. Our Celtic language and culture came from Central Europe but our ancestors did not.
Today the so-called Six Celtic Nations include Alba, Éire, Cymru, Mannin, Breizh and Kernow, or Scotland, Ireland, Wales, the Isle of Man, Brittany and Cornwall respectively. The Celtic languages of these nations are: an Gháidhlig (Scots Gaelic), Gaeilge (Irish), Cymraeg (Wales), Gaelg (Manx), Brezhoneg (Breton) agus Kernewek (Cornish).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/irish/articles/view/720/english/
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:27 pm
limey party pooper

I read somewhere that the people in Galloway were cannibals. Deep fried and battered human anyone?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

so it would seem

http://www.murderuk.com/cannibal_sawney_bean.html
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
I read somewhere that the people in Galloway were cannibals. Deep fried and battered human anyone?
Rubbish
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Apparently not.

Who are the Celts?
There is a lot of controversy about this question but the answer is really very simple. A Celt is anyone who speaks or spoke a Celtic language. However, we should be very careful not to think of the Celts as a distinct race. The Celtic language came to Ireland from Central Europe but there is no evidence that it was brought by large numbers of people. Our Celtic language and culture came from Central Europe but our ancestors did not.
Today the so-called Six Celtic Nations include Alba, Éire, Cymru, Mannin, Breizh and Kernow, or Scotland, Ireland, Wales, the Isle of Man, Brittany and Cornwall respectively. The Celtic languages of these nations are: an Gháidhlig (Scots Gaelic), Gaeilge (Irish), Cymraeg (Wales), Gaelg (Manx), Brezhoneg (Breton) agus Kernewek (Cornish).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/irish/articles/view/720/english/
What's more there are roughly 4 times as many inhabitants of Breizh today who speak Brezhoneg than there are inhabitant of Scotland who speak Scots Gaelic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.