Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:47 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by orly
Well I'd say I'm an immigrant being that I basically just arrived in Canada.

I don't think I'd call my family back in Northern/Republic of Ireland immigrants...they've been there since at least the early 18th century. (family tree doesn't go back any further)
Doesn't he mean (could be wrong) that for example a lot of the Scots originated from Ireland etc?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

Im sure that Salmond imbecile has the answers to all those questions NOT!! there should be plans in place for all those basic requirments being an individual country, but no one has answered them, so it shows there is no plan. If I were a Scot and wanted independence I still wouldn't vote yes under the current circumstances....the whole proposition is a joke!
Yes they do:http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/0
The White Paper was made public last november.The only difference now is the currency as Osbourne has thrown a spanner into that,although it still has to be voted on.
Some people here are getting slightly confused,the vote isnt for Salmond or the SNP its for independence.Alot of Labour politicans and supporters are voting yes. .
Old Feb 14th 2014, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yet another home-loving Scot who doesn't appear to actually live there!
All my family and many of my friends still live there so just because I dont live there means I shoudnt care about them?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 12:45 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

An example of how things might be done differently in an independent Scotland...?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...ydebank-family
Old Feb 15th 2014, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Yes they do:http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/0
The White Paper was made public last november.The only difference now is the currency as Osbourne has thrown a spanner into that,although it still has to be voted on.
Some people here are getting slightly confused,the vote isnt for Salmond or the SNP its for independence.Alot of Labour politicans and supporters are voting yes. .
As a fellow Brit do you really want this? is this its what its come to? quite ironic we live in Canada....most of North America was only very recently discovered when the act of union was agreed up on, and its been such a good union, why ruin that now.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

i was in scotland last time in 1992

the subject of them going alone came up

I was then employed by an international multi-billion pound company, with thousands of employees worldwide, headquartered in Edinburgh and it was made quite clear to me that if this happened then the head office would move just south of the border, but not London

have the scots thought of this sort of scenario?

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 15th 2014 at 3:31 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
As a fellow Brit do you really want this? is this its what its come to? quite ironic we live in Canada....most of North America was only very recently discovered when the act of union was agreed up on, and its been such a good union, why ruin that now.
Yep.Its a union but a very one sided union.The UK politcal system is broken.It doesnt matter what you vote in Scotland at a general election it all comes done to what the middle and upper class in south England and parts of Midlands want to vote for ,tory or "new" Labour who should really be named new tory.I used to vote Labour but I learned long ago it was a waste of time .I lived in England for 11yrs and found out alot of people dont give a shit about Scotland in fact they think the scots and Scotland are a joke!We need to change it and I believe the only way to do that is with independence.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.Its a union but a very one sided union.The UK politcal system is broken.It doesnt matter what you vote in Scotland at a general election it all comes done to what the middle and upper class in south England and parts of Midlands want to vote for ,tory or "new" Labour who should really be named new tory.I used to vote Labour but I learned long ago it was a waste of time .I lived in England for 11yrs and found out alot of people dont give a shit about Scotland in fact they think the scots and Scotland are a joke!We need to change it and I believe the only way to do that is with independence.
That is true, but a lot of people in England don't give a xxxx about anyone from the North, the South, London, Wales etc etc. And of course there are a lot if people in Scotland that not only don't give a xxxx about England but actually despise it. The point here is that you are basing your views about independence on entirely flawed and emotional logic. A similar point has been made upthread about the political process - plenty of voters in various parts of the country are unhappy with their Westminster representatives - but that's not a reason in itself to dismantle a successful union.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange how Scottish people say that the union is one sided and that it doesn't matter who they vote for, elections are dictated by the south and the midlands. That would be the same as someone from Nebraska saying they want independence because the President is determined by Florida, California, New York and Texas.. Or that there is no point in voters in British Columbia voting because the result is almost a forgone conclusion before the polls even close in BC! The population determines Govt. and over 80% of the population lives in England.

The New Labour movement had a decent Scottish representation with Gordon Brown, Alistar Darling, Robin Cook among others.

How was it the Higher Education Act 2004 was passed again? Scottish MP's voting on a bill that didn't affect Scotland..
Old Feb 16th 2014, 1:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
I find it strange how Scottish people say that the union is one sided and that it doesn't matter who they vote for, elections are dictated by the south and the midlands. That would be the same as someone from Nebraska saying they want independence because the President is determined by Florida, California, New York and Texas.. Or that there is no point in voters in British Columbia voting because the result is almost a forgone conclusion before the polls even close in BC! The population determines Govt. and over 80% of the population lives in England.

The New Labour movement had a decent Scottish representation with Gordon Brown, Alistar Darling, Robin Cook among others.

How was it the Higher Education Act 2004 was passed again? Scottish MP's voting on a bill that didn't affect Scotland..
+1. What next, independence for the ancient kingdom of Bernicia and Deira?

Scotland was united with England a mere 300 years ago, moreover at their request, whereas the above named kingdom, more recently known as Northumbria, was taken by force in the 7th century.

COCKNEYS OUT. Starting, of course, with Mike Ashley.

Edit: And while we're in the mood, let's encourage Albertan independence, after all, thanks to their consummate irresponsibility, we'll soon have a northern sea route from Ontario et al. to the West Coast.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 16th 2014 at 2:11 am. Reason: beer
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:07 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Edit: And while we're in the mood, let's encourage Albertan independence, after all, thanks to their consummate irresponsibiliyy, we'll soon have a northern sea route from Ontario et al. to the West Coast.
Actually, it's been discussed before. BC, Alberta and Sask break away by themselves and screw the East. The mentality was that the west coast got very little compared to what it put in and Quebec and Ontario always got the lions share.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Actually, it's been discussed before. BC, Alberta and Sask break away by themselves and screw the East. The mentality was that the west coast got very little compared to what it put in and Quebec and Ontario always got the lions share.
Oh, really? Or, possibly, O'Riley.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:12 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That is true, but a lot of people in England don't give a xxxx about anyone from the North, the South, London, Wales etc etc. And of course there are a lot if people in Scotland that not only don't give a xxxx about England but actually despise it. The point here is that you are basing your views about independence on entirely flawed and emotional logic. A similar point has been made upthread about the political process - plenty of voters in various parts of the country are unhappy with their Westminster representatives - but that's not a reason in itself to dismantle a successful union.
I agree but sometimes the emotional response is the strongest one. Everyone can debate the pros and cons but no one has a crystal ball as to what will actually happen if the vote is YES.

If a union is so great, maybe BC should become the 51st state and link up to Alaska?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

I agree but sometimes the emotional response is the strongest one. Everyone can debate the pros and cons but no one has a crystal ball as to what will actually happen if the vote is YES.

If a union is so great, maybe BC should become the 51st state and link up to Alaska?
If I may be so bold, you're talking balderdash.

Maybe the UK should quit the EU?

Get over it. Scotland isn't speshul, history moves on like it or not.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I thought BC was already in a 'union' ... Canada. Or did I miss some something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.