Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:16 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
If Scotland gain indendence, there wont any longer be such a thing as Great Britain or "British" or the flag. I suppose some other name will need to be created to call the new union between England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In which case i dare say the new passport will only apply to those of the new union.
Great Britain is not only a political term but a geographical one.

I'm sure British could continue to use. As could the flag. It wasn't altered, for example, when a chunk of Ireland left.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

If Scotland gain indendence, there wont any longer be such a thing as Great Britain or "British" or the flag. I suppose some other name will need to be created to call the new union between England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In which case i dare say the new passport will only apply to those of the new union.
Great Britain is the physical island that England, Wales and Scotland find themselves on. It will always remain Great Britain. The union between England, Wales and Northern Ireland can remain what it is.. the United Kingdom (UK).

It is just the the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island will need to change to reflect a Scottish independence. United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Island would suffice. It would still be referred to as the United Kingdom (UK).
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.yesscotland.net/news/key-...ndent-scotland

You probably know this, if I bought a little flat in Scotland and registered to vote, on independence being agreed by those voting ( me included) I too would become a citizen of Scotland. Fantastic, cheaper and lot less hassle than becoming a citizen of Canada. Perhaps we could have a vote in alberta Canada about independence and i would be handed citizenship on a plate. Where is my kilt?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Great Britain is not only a political term but a geographical one.

I'm sure British could continue to use. As could the flag. It wasn't altered, for example, when a chunk of Ireland left.
The flag didn't need to change as the St Patricks cross still represented Northern Ireland.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Great Britain is the physical island that England, Wales and Scotland find themselves on. It will always remain Great Britain. The union between England, Wales and Northern Ireland can remain what it is.. the United Kingdom (UK).

It is just the the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island will need to change to reflect a Scottish independence. United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Island would suffice. It would still be referred to as the United Kingdom (UK).
Yes I know, the geographical reference to the island will still be referred to as Britain in a similar way as North America is used to refer to the land mass of Canada and the US but they are totally separate countries. But Britain will no longer be used as a political term.

Your right in that there will be a new United Kingdom, however the union flag will change as "Britain" may well exist geographical but as I said would no longer exist as country or union.

Im also unsure if the word "Kingdom" would be used, as correct me if im wrong, but Wales is a principality....and this is why it has never been represented on the union flag.....never fully understood the ins and outs here, but the last time Wales was a kingdom was before England was actually a one country....but three separate kingdoms.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:54 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If they vote Yes which passport will these people now use to travel outside of the EU with?
Sort yourself out and show a bit of respect.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:56 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If you care so much about Scotland or about the RestUK, why live in Canada ?
You are one of these people that left school early aintcha?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:59 pm

But you want independence don't you? This question hasn't been answered by Salmond yet. You want out of the Union then and hold a British passport then it should be null and voided and you need to apply for a Scottish one.
Expect a competition for the design cover of the Scottish passport.
Will it be the Scottish saltire ?
The Scottish thistle
or a can of Irn Bru?
Whereas you would be left with a daffodil and a coupla morris dancers on yours.

I'll take the Irn Bru thanks very much.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Sort yourself out and show a bit of respect.
Suggest you read post #271. What is disrespectful about these people? Its plural.
adjective, plural these [theez] Show IPA .
(used to indicate a person, place, thing, or degree as present, near, just indicated or mentioned, or as well-known or characteristic): These people are my friends. This problem has worried me for a long time.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:01 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Whereas you would be left with a daffodil and a coupla morris dancers on yours.

I'll take the Irn Bru thanks very much.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you read post #271. What is disrespectful about these people? Its plural.
(used to indicate a person, place, thing, or degree as present, near, just indicated or mentioned, or as well-known or characteristic): These people are my friends. This problem has worried me for a long time.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Im also unsure if the word "Kingdom" would be used, as correct me if im wrong, but Wales is a principality....and this is why it has never been represented on the union flag.....never fully understood the ins and outs here, but the last time Wales was a kingdom was before England was actually a one country....but three separate kingdoms.
I don't think Wales is technically a Principality as the Prince of Wales is more of an honorary title. Wales was part of the Kingdom of England at the time of the Act of Union and therefore is represent in the Union Jack by the Cross of St George. Wales has been wanting representation in the flag and an independent Scotland could see this happen.

I am not sure if there would be any thought into the technicalities of the UK not actually uniting any kingdoms any more if Scotland were to leave.

People from England and Wales will probably still be referred to as Britain/British by foreigners, as the whole England/Scotland/Wales/NI/ROI - GB - UK thing confuses them enough as it is today!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:28 pm

Ok point.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:44 pm

Old Feb 13th 2014, 11:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

but the last time Wales was a kingdom was before England was actually a one country....but three separate kingdoms.
There's never, ever, been a King of Wales. Back in about 1150 the area now called Wales was united (briefly) under a single boss, but he was referred to as the King of the Britons.

We tend to forget that the English (and most of the Scots) are immigrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.