Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:14 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by neilcumming
The scaremongering of certain companies threatening to leave the "sinking ship" cant really see it happening not if the scottish goverment go ahead with their plan to reduce corp. tax. to encourage investment.
I think if both countries work together both will benefit.
How would an independent scotland pay for the spending programs currently under threat by westminster then , if not by raising taxes? The oil money alone is not enough to cover it, and appears to have already been earmarked for other uses.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
and you wonder why some Scots dislike some English.......................
I dont agree with this, i think that most pro United Kingdom English people are "hurt" that some people of Scotland want to break up the 300 year old sucessful union (400 years of you count back from there merging of the crowns)

As i said before its just the braveheart thing firing people up....which i totally get, but thats the past....back when the world was a rather uncivilised place to live in, thinking with your heart in this modern world doesnt necessarily lead to the right decisions.

I read somewhere recently that if this goes through we may end up with a flood of requests for counties of England wanting their own goverments...and even independance, everyone is proud of where they were born and raised its human nature, but you also have to look at it logically...the big picture.

I think its the wrong attitude to say if Scotland want independance then let them have it, as i think Scotland's departure from the union would have detrimental effects on the rest of the UK too, and maybe on a more sentimental side it would be very sad tearing up hundreds of years of civilised history, but as many have said on here, it would be more detrimental to Scotland, if it was real independance, not the half baked "plan" Salmond seems to have, thats neither here nor there.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:38 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

.Another "however",the reason the SNP want rid of Trident is to be able to start oil exploration on the west coast of Scotland which has since the 80s been blocked by the MOD.
That may be the case (although doubtless there's more to it than that - the MOD apparently only blocked drilling in the Firth of Clyde, not anywhere else on the Atlantic seaboard...), but I'd love to know what would be your plan for the 11,000 unemployed people whose jobs are currently supported by Faslane and who contribute some 270 million pounds to the local economy annually. If Trident is scrapped, Faslane will close - or is Scotland going to have a navy base of its own there? If so, what will the Scottish defence ministry's position be on oil production platforms in the Firth?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:50 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
What a pleasant person you are!
Thanks sweet heart!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:06 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
Thanks sweet heart!
You can't call someone that on here..."it's patronizing"

Matey

Yet to hear from Scotland's greatest sons in all this...Gordon Ramsey, Gazza, Rod Stewart, Ewan McGregor, Erik Laarson (OK may be not him) etc
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:21 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
You can't call someone that on here..."it's patronizing"

Matey

Yet to hear from Scotland's greatest sons in all this...Gordon Ramsey, Gazza, Rod Stewart, Ewan McGregor, Erik Laarson (OK may be not him) etc
Really? he's all yours dear
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:22 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I dont agree with this, i think that most pro United Kingdom English people are "hurt" that some people of Scotland want to break up the 300 year old sucessful union (400 years of you count back from there merging of the crowns)

As i said before its just the braveheart thing firing people up....which i totally get, but thats the past....back when the world was a rather uncivilised place to live in, thinking with your heart in this modern world doesnt necessarily lead to the right decisions.

I read somewhere recently that if this goes through we may end up with a flood of requests for counties of England wanting their own goverments...and even independance, everyone is proud of where they were born and raised its human nature, but you also have to look at it logically...the big picture.

I think its the wrong attitude to say if Scotland want independance then let them have it, as i think Scotland's departure from the union would have detrimental effects on the rest of the UK too, and maybe on a more sentimental side it would be very sad tearing up hundreds of years of civilised history, but as many have said on here, it would be more detrimental to Scotland, if it was real independance, not the half baked "plan" Salmond seems to have, thats neither here nor there.
I agree with you for the most part.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:34 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Really? he's all yours dear
Wow....typical, because he is no longer on top, you dump him....that is so un-becoming.

Oh....I am not your "dear", hell nah with a mouth like the one in the avatar
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:19 pm

Wow....typical, because he is no longer on top, you dump him....that is so un-becoming.

Oh....I am not your "dear", hell nah with a mouth like the one in the avatar
He's a Geordie ya muppet
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

He's a Geordie ya muppet
And therefore much brighter than at least one poster on this thread.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:53 pm
Banned

He's a Geordie ya muppet
You missed the whole point.....He played there for Glasgow and they adopted him, Erik Laarson for Celtics......get it now?

Laarson is Swedish as you might know, but you didn't seem to care about him

Muppet is better than the dear you called me earlier, well of course it takes one muppette to know one
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
How would an independent scotland pay for the spending programs currently under threat by westminster then , if not by raising taxes? The oil money alone is not enough to cover it, and appears to have already been earmarked for other uses.
This may astound you but Scotland is a weathly nation,only London and the SE of England create more wealth per head for the economy than Scotland.
We pay more in taxes than we recieve from Westminster for our budget.
So contrary to popular belief we are not a bunch of alcoholic drug taking scroungers.The SNP have been the government in Scotland for the last 2 terms and havent raised taxes ,I think they can raise it by 3% or are allowed to.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:58 pm
Banned

This may astound you but Scotland is a weathly nation,only London and the SE of England create more wealth per head for the economy than Scotland.
We pay more in taxes than we recieve from Westminster for our budget.
So contrary to popular belief we are not a bunch of alcoholic drug taking scroungers.The SNP have been the government in Scotland for the last 2 terms and havent raised taxes ,I think they can raise it by 3% or are allowed to.

Whoever said that, needs a frontal lobotomy...personally, have always loved Scotland and it's people (mind you more the women). Hogmanay was always a blast in Aberdeen or Glasgow
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
That may be the case (although doubtless there's more to it than that - the MOD apparently only blocked drilling in the Firth of Clyde, not anywhere else on the Atlantic seaboard...), but I'd love to know what would be your plan for the 11,000 unemployed people whose jobs are currently supported by Faslane and who contribute some 270 million pounds to the local economy annually. If Trident is scrapped, Faslane will close - or is Scotland going to have a navy base of its own there? If so, what will the Scottish defence ministry's position be on oil production platforms in the Firth?
According to the RN website there is 6,500 civilians and service personel employed at Faslane,so about 500 to 1000 locals work there not taking into account of workers from outside Scotland.The SNP are saying it will keep Faslane as a Scottish Naval port so presumably the jobs will go to those workers.
Its not the 1st time a RN base has closed in Scotland,in 1993 the tories switched a lot of jobs from Rosyth to Devonport and sold the place off to Babcock Int.
I couldnt tell you what a scottish MOD's position would be that would be a few yrs down the road,I suppose much the same as the North Sea rigs.
Faslane is only 25 miles from Glasgow,I know it would most probably be moved to Devonport but can you imagine the outrage if it were based on the Thames 25 miles from London,simply wouldnt happen.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Whoever said that, needs a frontal lobotomy...personally, have always loved Scotland and it's people (mind you more the women). Hogmanay was always a blast in Aberdeen or Glasgow
I lived in England for 11yrs and met alot of people who went every year on holiday in Scotland and same as you loved it but there were always people who sterotyped us.Scotland has social problems much the same as England does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.