Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If I wanted to move to England...

If I wanted to move to England...

Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default If I wanted to move to England...

Would you advise for or against it?

Now I only spent 3 weeks there last year so maybe thats not enough for a fair assesment (How long is a decent recce trip?)

But I really didn't notice any of the problems that people talk about here. Except the real estate prices. Maybe its just my Canadian eyes - I wouldn't think anything of a bunch of teens hanging out in front of a 7/11 for example.

Not that I'm planning to move. But I must say I was taken by the place.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I wanted to move to England...

Originally Posted by rwin

Now I only spent 3 weeks there last year so maybe thats not enough for a fair assesment (How long is a decent recce trip?)

But I really didn't notice any of the problems that people talk about here. Except the real estate prices. Maybe its just my Canadian eyes - I wouldn't think anything of a bunch of teens hanging out in front of a 7/11 for example.

If you fancy it, why not go there? You seem to have a good grasp of the pluses and minuses.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you fancy it, why not go there? You seem to have a good grasp of the pluses and minuses.
Sarcasm is so unbecoming of you...

Oh, wait..
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andthen
Sarcasm is so unbecoming of you...

Oh, wait..
Yeah.

What can you really learn in 3 weeks? No matter where you go.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably get more info. on the Moving Back forum
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Yeah.

What can you really learn in 3 weeks? No matter where you go.
Exactly, just ignore him. Ha.

I love England! And I'll miss it when I come over here permenantly, because as bad as some things are in England that seem to be none existant here, there are plenty of things about Toronto that drive me crazy.

To name a few;

The price of cheese and milk (I drink about 2 litres of milk a day back home)
The price of cars and insurance (especially insurance)
The price of Housing
Lack of proper reflective and illuminated street signs
Lack of decent road markings
Construction *everywhere*
That crap that passes for "ham" over here
Price of booze and fags!

Then again, I love that there is some kind of convenice store within walking distance of everywhere, and that I can get pizza pizza at any time!! and I'm always within walking distance of my friends houses.

I could go on and continue to hijack this thread but I won't...
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:20 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends. Whereabouts in England do you want to move? Are you going to be earning a lot?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Good things about England (off the top of my head):

History/Historical sites
Countryside
Accessible coastlines
Consumer choice
Multiculterism(sp?)
Easy access to European destinations

Bad things (off the top of my head):

Rainy, windy, damp, grey weather
Traffic jams
Not knowing if the group of yoofs you are going past will attack you - wether it's verbally or physically
Litter
Miserable unhelpful people

If my daughter for example wanted to go to England as an adult I would advise it for a year or two, to experiance a different way of life and different lifestyles by being able to travel to European countries so easily.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bazzz
Depends. Whereabouts in England do you want to move? Are you going to be earning a lot?
Well, like I said I'm not actually planning to move.

But for the sake of the thread, I really liked Leeds when we were there.

And Birmingham. Yes, Birmingham.

I have no idea what a lot would be as far as earnings.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

Traffic jams
Not knowing if the group of yoofs you are going past will attack you - wether it's verbally or physically
Litter
Don't forget to mention that the country is being swamped by immigrants. Most of them Canadian.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

History/Historical sites
Countryside
Accessible coastlines
Consumer choice
Multiculterism(sp?)
Easy access to European destinations

Traffic jams
Litter

If my daughter for example wanted to go to England as an adult I would advise it for a year or two, to experiance a different way of life and different lifestyles by being able to travel to European countries so easily.
I agree with most of that.

Except that I find Toronto much more multicultural, and the people much more accepting of other cultures than in England.

Also, weather and traffic in Toronto is horrendous (sp?)

It took me 2 hours to cross Toronto in rush hour traffic yesterday (entering Toronto from the 400, across to the beaches and then back downtown).
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:26 pm

Seek professional help. And I don't mean an immigration consultant.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bazzz
Don't forget to mention that the country is being swamped by immigrants. Most of them Canadian.
Thats okay. I'm related to immigrants.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:27 pm

Countryside
Accessible coastlines
Multiculterism(sp?)

Traffic jams
I get all these in Canada.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, like I said I'm not actually planning to move.

I have no idea what a lot would be as far as earnings.
I'm from near Leeds and spend a lot of time there... It's awful. Plain awful. It's small, cramped, full of rude... People (I guess you'd call them people on a public forum!), the public transport is crap, the roads are crap, the one way system is backed up all day everyday except between the hours of 0100 and 0500 and if you drive through the northern end of the city centre at about 0300, the streets are white, as if it's snowed... Oh, wait, that would be the McDonnalds papers.

Eugh.

Birmingham is pretty much as bad. Except bigger. I wouldn't want to be out on the streets on a night on my own!

It's a dump. A big smelly putrid pile of poo. (And as if the situation could get any worse, it's populated by Brummies!). Their only redeeming featur is the fact that they have nice accents! :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.