Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Old May 27th 2015, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Being able to have IEC just makes everything easier.

Need to live with your partner for a year to be able to apply for common law spousal sponsorship? IEC can help you.

Need a year of working experience in Canada? IEC can help you.

Want to pursue an employer for LMIA or PNP? IEC can help you.

IEC doesn't make PR itself easier, but it just opens the pathway to actually qualifying for PR. It's not a way to immigrate on its own, and shouldn't be treated as such. I have never considered my time in Canada as permanent, because I know that I still might have to leave at the end of my 2 years. But it was part of the overall plan. If Canada wants skilled workers with Canadian Experience, then there should be an expectation that some of the people who come over on IEC are looking to immigrate in the long term.

I don't know if there is an expectation that people on IEC *deserve* to get PR. I would say that anybody who thought that were perhaps a little misguided. Just read all the Express Entry rules and then you'll know where you stand.
Old May 27th 2015, 1:21 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky, did two years on IEC and got PR through Spousal/Common law sponsorship. Was with my fiance in the UK for nearly two years before we headed over here. Nearly missed out big time with a delay in my application in the beggining but was very very very lucky to get my PR in 5.5 months.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:51 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
Being able to have IEC just makes everything easier.

Need to live with your partner for a year to be able to apply for common law spousal sponsorship? IEC can help you.

Need a year of working experience in Canada? IEC can help you.

Want to pursue an employer for LMIA or PNP? IEC can help you.

IEC doesn't make PR itself easier, but it just opens the pathway to actually qualifying for PR. It's not a way to immigrate on its own, and shouldn't be treated as such. I have never considered my time in Canada as permanent, because I know that I still might have to leave at the end of my 2 years. But it was part of the overall plan. If Canada wants skilled workers with Canadian Experience, then there should be an expectation that some of the people who come over on IEC are looking to immigrate in the long term.

I don't know if there is an expectation that people on IEC *deserve* to get PR. I would say that anybody who thought that were perhaps a little misguided. Just read all the Express Entry rules and then you'll know where you stand.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
hmm, I was just remembering back in the day when i was a backpacker, there were people trying to stay longer than their holiday visa allowed. That was in the UK (kiwis and aussies who loved it and didn't want to return), Canada, Australia, not sure about NZ...they tried to find every way to stay legally they could .

I think this has always gone on, maybe just with the internet it's more out in the open. I know of at least one couple that married for each other's citizenship - one Australian, one Canadian.

Not sure if it was even possible at the time (or now) for US young people to travel the world on this various visitor schemes some countries have, but if I had even know about them when young, I'd have loved to do it.

I always wanted to spend extended time in Australia, best I managed was 10 days.

By the time I knew they even existed, I was too old.

The joys of getting old, less chance of doing things and more doors closed....

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 27th 2015 at 10:01 am.
Old May 27th 2015, 10:07 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not sure if it was even possible at the time (or now) for US young people to travel the world on this various visitor schemes some countries have, but if I had even know about them when young, I'd have loved to do it.

I always wanted to spend extended time in Australia, best I managed was 10 days.

By the time I knew they even existed, I was too old.

The joys of getting old, less chance of doing things and more doors closed....
Who needs Australia when you have California.
Old May 27th 2015, 10:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Who needs Australia when you have California.
Less people in Australia, interesting wild life not found in North America. I've just always been fond of Australia.

If I had the earning power to cover our costs to live in California including medical, we would move. My Canadian born wife wants to live there quite badly. Its just not realistic to live there on 11 or 12 per hour, have very little decrease in living costs and substantial increase in medical costs.

Using a cost of living calculator and assuming renting, cost of living in San Diego is higher overall then Vancouver. (I wouldn't live anywhere else in California.)

higher cost of living + lower wages + higher medical costs = disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 27th 2015 at 10:44 am.
Old May 29th 2015, 12:37 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

"Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?"

Is it a "route" at all?
Old May 29th 2015, 12:47 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly

Is it a "route" at all?
Yes I think it is a route. Without it, a lot of people who ultimately gain PR status wouldn't have got a working visa at all. It's a visa that is open to anyone who is under 30 years old. No specific skills or education are required.
Old May 29th 2015, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a "route" at all?
Its not a route per se. The IEC gives you a work permit which could lead to various PR routes opening up to apply under.
Old May 29th 2015, 1:50 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Yes I think it is a route. Without it, a lot of people who ultimately gain PR status wouldn't have got a working visa at all. It's a visa that is open to anyone who is under 30 years old. No specific skills or education are required.
Your last sentence is true but key. Those who come unskilled and work in unskilled positions tend to have no realistic route to PR as far as I can see. CEC requires skilled experience. Federal skilled worker and Federal skilled trades...the names are self explanatory. I believe provincial nominations work on the same basis.

Is it "legit" to take an IEC visa if you are somewhat skilled and able/lucky to get a skilled position when you arrive? I'd say so. The program places some restrictions on employment but not on how skilful the employment is.

My own "progression" was to PR via marriage with a few IEC visas mixed in. If I was the Minister I'd be casting a more inquisitive eye on the whole family sponsorship stream. It can be a far simpler route to PR. I mean you don't need to be worrying about medicals or education a lot of the time. Don't speak English or French? No problem! No appreciable skills? Who cares!
Old May 29th 2015, 2:16 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Your last sentence is true but key. Those who come unskilled and work in unskilled positions tend to have no realistic route to PR as far as I can see. CEC requires skilled experience. Federal skilled worker and Federal skilled trades...the names are self explanatory. I believe provincial nominations work on the same basis.

Is it "legit" to take an IEC visa if you are somewhat skilled and able/lucky to get a skilled position when you arrive? I'd say so. The program places some restrictions on employment but not on how skilful the employment is.

My own "progression" was to PR via marriage with a few IEC visas mixed in. If I was the Minister I'd be casting a more inquisitive eye on the whole family sponsorship stream. It can be a far simpler route to PR. I mean you don't need to be worrying about medicals or education a lot of the time. Don't speak English or French? No problem! No appreciable skills? Who cares!
There's nothing wrong with using the IEC visa for what it is and if that leads to PR for whatever reason then fair play.
Old May 29th 2015, 7:48 am
Yo

No doubt the Ministry has very good statistics on eventual family sponsorship on all routes to PR. Sponsorship (including financial) is the whole point of it being a simpler route.
Old May 29th 2015, 11:07 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, because I honestly don't know....
What are the financial requirements for sponsors.

Is it like the states where you sign an affidavit of support for a set period of time? And if you receive welfare the state can go after your sponsor for the money?

I'm just wondering how much of a financial commitment is actually needed.
Old May 29th 2015, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Just curious, because I honestly don't know....
What are the financial requirements for sponsors.

Is it like the states where you sign an affidavit of support for a set period of time? And if you receive welfare the state can go after your sponsor for the money?

I'm just wondering how much of a financial commitment is actually needed.
From the guide for spousal sponsorship
What does it mean to sponsor?

When you agree to be a sponsor, you must sign a contract called an undertaking. The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support for your spouse or common‑law partner’s basic requirements and those of his or her dependent children.
Guide 5289 - Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class
Old May 29th 2015, 2:48 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

seems very vague, is it ever enforced?
if so how?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.