Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Old May 25th 2015, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'd say the main benefit is you can get over to Canada and get started on building your life with out having to clear all of those hurdles first.
An LMIA will also get you over to Canada without having to clear those hurdles.
Old May 25th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
But getting an LMIA is a hurdle in itself now
Old May 25th 2015, 7:34 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, I was just remembering back in the day when i was a backpacker, there were people trying to stay longer than their holiday visa allowed. That was in the UK (kiwis and aussies who loved it and didn't want to return), Canada, Australia, not sure about NZ...they tried to find every way to stay legally they could .

I think this has always gone on, maybe just with the internet it's more out in the open. I know of at least one couple that married for each other's citizenship - one Australian, one Canadian.
Old May 25th 2015, 7:36 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

The LMIA is to get you a Temporary Work Permit, not PR. My original question was whether the IEC Visa should be used in this way to bypass specific skills requirements that a TWP or PR applicant may have to demonstrate to get a visa in the first place.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

An LMIA requires an employer to want to sponsor you. In most professions that's a massive hurdle.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
But getting an LMIA is a hurdle in itself now
+1.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
The LMIA is to get you a Temporary Work Permit, not PR. My original question was whether the IEC Visa should be used in this way to bypass specific skills requirements that a TWP or PR applicant may have to demonstrate to get a visa in the first place.
An LMIA doesn't require skills assessment.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
hmm, I was just remembering back in the day when i was a backpacker, there were people trying to stay longer than their holiday visa allowed. That was in the UK (kiwis and aussies who loved it and didn't want to return), Canada, Australia, not sure about NZ...they tried to find every way to stay legally they could .

I think this has always gone on, maybe just with the internet it's more out in the open. I know of at least one couple that married for each other's citizenship - one Australian, one Canadian.
I have no idea of the process but the people I grew up with who went to Australia and ended up staying found gaining further status relative easy. I think employers have a better relationship with the immigration authorities.

Canada, for what ever reason, seems to be harder work.
Old May 25th 2015, 9:46 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

An LMIA doesn't require skills assessment.
In order to have an LMIA the employer has to demonstrate they have been unable to find a Canadian or PR to do the job. It isn't just any old job that can warrant sponsorship. An IEC on the other hand is dished out on a first come first served basis to anyone who meets the age criteria. Hardly a rigorous selection process if the objective of the individual is to get PR status, not just to have a 2 year working holiday.
Old May 25th 2015, 10:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

The point of these immigration processes is to ensure people are able to successfully establish themselves economically in Canada paying into the system. If people are here working then they have ticked the box.
This.

RP I think you're looking at it from the individual's perspective rather than the government's.
Old May 25th 2015, 10:33 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Shard
This.

RP I think you're looking at it from the individual's perspective rather than the government's.
I personally don't have a problem with people pursuing PR on the back of an IEC Visa if that's what they want to do. I just don't think that is what it was intended for. Presumably IEC Visa holders will still have to meet the same rigorous criteria as someone applying for PR directly at some point. Would they still have to take the language test, medical etc?
Old May 25th 2015, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

In order to have an LMIA the employer has to demonstrate they have been unable to find a Canadian or PR to do the job. It isn't just any old job that can warrant sponsorship. An IEC on the other hand is dished out on a first come first served basis to anyone who meets the age criteria. Hardly a rigorous selection process if the objective of the individual is to get PR status, not just to have a 2 year working holiday.
But having an IEC in itself is no advantage for PR - you still need to meet the rest of the criteria to get PR (LMIA/PNP nomination, language test, medicals, skills assesement etc..) as everyone else.

Realistically you would need to use the IEC to get a job in a NOC Code 0/A/B position and this is easier said than done. I know from experience that some employers treat IEC holders with a certain degree of caution.

If you get a job in one of those NOC codes using IEC then arguably you wouldn't find it too hard to get an LMIA (for example, I'm in NOC Code B position and there's been an ad up for a job on my team for about a year now).
Old May 25th 2015, 11:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

But having an IEC in itself is no advantage for PR - you still need to meet the rest of the criteria to get PR (LMIA/PNP nomination, language test, medicals, skills assesement etc..) as everyone else.

Realistically you would need to use the IEC to get a job in a NOC Code 0/A/B position and this is easier said than done. I know from experience that some employers treat IEC holders with a certain degree of caution.

If you get a job in one of those NOC codes using IEC then arguably you wouldn't find it too hard to get an LMIA (for example, I'm in NOC Code B position and there's been an ad up for a job on my team for about a year now).
That seems perfectly reasonable to me then. If you have the skills and experience needed and meet the other criteria for PR, I don't really see the IEC visa as a backdoor route at all.
Old May 26th 2015, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I would call it a loophole tbh, it's been made easier for people to qualify for PR with a IEC permit over the last 5 years. I remember when I first applied for the working holiday it was split into 2 categories - 12 months for recent university graduates and 12 months for everyone, both of which needed reference letters. You could apply for both permits if you wanted to but you needed a 12 month gap between the two. Now anyone 30 & under can get 2 years.

But considering that Canada is getting educated/trained young people, doesn't it makes sense for them to keep IEC eligible to apply for PR?
Old May 26th 2015, 12:41 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Does an IEC visa applicant have to undergo a medical
Yes if you want to work in certain jobs (children, medical etc) it's the same medical test that PRs take and it's only valid for one year so I have had 2 done so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.