British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/iec-visa-legit-route-pr-858885/)

rivingtonpike May 25th 2015 3:59 pm

Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Not sure where I sit on this one. If it's possible, does that not, by default make it legitimate? On the other hand, there are individuals and families who spend thousands of pounds on the visa application process and never make it. Should someone who is effectively on a working holiday visa be able to bypass much of the expense and grief that others have to face? Or are they simply young enthusiastic individuals who will ultimately be a net contributor to our society?

JamesM May 25th 2015 4:08 pm

Re: Is the IEC Visa a legit route to PR?

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11656073)
Not sure where I sit on this one. If it's possible, does that not, by default make it legitimate? On the other hand, there are individuals and families who spend thousands of pounds on the visa application process and never make it. Should someone who is effectively on a working holiday visa be able to bypass much of the expense and grief that others have to face? Or are they simply young enthusiastic individuals who will ultimately be a net contributor to our society?

It's a loophole.

But at the same time like most Western countries Canada needs young people who want to work full time and pay taxes.

If someone wants to come young and be a contributor to the system then why not.

Shard May 25th 2015 4:09 pm

Privilege of youth, I think. Legit.

ExKiwilass May 25th 2015 4:12 pm

It's a good question and I don't know. Or rather, i think it depends.

It depends on what country the IEC holder is from - some countries really don't offer any real opportunities for Canadian youth so I question whether their youth should be allowed to come here and compete with Canadians for jobs, when Canadians can't do the same. On the flipside, maybe it's a benefit to Canada to nick other crappier countries' motivated young people.

Also, I suspect it's a lot easier for younger people to emigrate and adjust - to workplace culture, canadian culture, etc.

Hmm. Interesting.

Zoe Bell May 25th 2015 4:17 pm

I'm not sure that I would class it as Legitimate or otherwise.

my comment would be that I doubt it was the purpose for which it was originally intended.

I'd be very interested in the statistics of the % of people who use it as a stepping stone to PR , as compared to similar schemes , say in Australia.

rivingtonpike May 25th 2015 4:28 pm

I'm not even sure how one would convert the IEC 2 year holiday visa into PR status. Presumably you'd still need a job and sponsorship/LMIA etc? As posted above, I doubt that PR was considered when the IEC visa was conceived. I don't personally know of any IEC people who've worked for me that have subsequently stayed in Canada permanently. Where's the harm if they do?

Shard May 25th 2015 4:30 pm

There is no harm. It's an open door for young people. Every country that can do this should, it creates a better world.

rivingtonpike May 25th 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11656080)
It's a loophole.

But at the same time like most Western countries Canada needs young people who want to work full time and pay taxes.

If someone wants to come young and be a contributor to the system then why not.

If it's a loophole, what would happen if the authorities stopped the visa all together. Or, denied anybody PR who had been on an IEC visa?

ChrisBan May 25th 2015 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11656105)
I'm not even sure how one would convert the IEC 2 year holiday visa into PR status. Presumably you'd still need a job and sponsorship/LMIA etc? As posted above, I doubt that PR was considered when the IEC visa was conceived. I don't personally know of any IEC people who've worked for me that have subsequently stayed in Canada permanently. Where's the harm if they do?

If they get skilled Canadian work experience they can go the CEC route and absolutely why not! Got a friend who a couple months ago got her PR confirmed this way after just over a year in Canada on IEC

JamesM May 25th 2015 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11656159)
If it's a loophole, what would happen if the authorities stopped the visa all together. Or, denied anybody PR who had been on an IEC visa?

I have no idea.

I suspect there would be more PR places assigned to the other routes of obtaining it. Whether it is significant enough numbers to alter the processing times I don't know.

Apparently they are reducing the number of IEC visa's to certain countries anyway.

JamesM May 25th 2015 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11656085)

Also, I suspect it's a lot easier for younger people to emigrate and adjust - to workplace culture, canadian culture, etc.

This.

And I'd add they do not have any dependants so will be less drag on resources.

The point of these immigration processes is to ensure people are able to successfully establish themselves economically in Canada paying into the system. If people are here working then they have ticked the box.

It's a shame as in my day we didn't have the loophole and I had to go through the arduous PR process. However my Canada Work Holiday Experience where I worked at Telus will have helped my application which was borderline on points.

bc2015 May 25th 2015 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11656073)

What expense and grief does an IEC holder bypass?

rivingtonpike May 25th 2015 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by bc2015 (Post 11656208)
What expense and grief does an IEC holder bypass?

Does an IEC visa applicant have to undergo a medical, language test, qualifications and education verification? I was under the impression the process was a lot simpler. I must admit I haven't done it so don't know for sure.

bc2015 May 25th 2015 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11656239)
Does an IEC visa applicant have to undergo a medical, language test, qualifications and education verification? I was under the impression the process was a lot simpler. I must admit I haven't done it so don't know for sure.

For PR yes. The process is exactly the same. The only benefit of IEC is that you may have Canadian experience for CEC and you may have an employer willing to get you LMIA.

JamesM May 25th 2015 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11656239)

Originally Posted by bc2015 (Post 11656243)
For PR yes. The process is exactly the same. The only benefit of IEC is that you may have Canadian experience for CEC and you may have an employer willing to get you LMIA.

I'd say the main benefit is you can get over to Canada and get started on building your life with out having to clear all of those hurdles first.

It really depends on how one uses the time when they are waiting for PR.