Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ideas for new inventions

Ideas for new inventions

Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for new inventions

cheap - like what they use in restaurants to keep food hot or 'Fondue fuel'

Sterno Solid Gel Fuel (6-Pack) | Lowe's Canada

Ideal for heating a single cup of water. Small metal kettle or tin mug

http://zenstoves.net/Sterno.htm

Last edited by not2old; Nov 17th 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 3:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
many options already available
Thanks.

I need to look at this a bit more. Most seem to be surge protectors or computer related and seem to need to be plugged in ready for something going wrong. I'd have expected an ability to run other electrical stuff as a power source would be something worth mentioning in features but I don't see it on those I selected.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 3:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks.

I need to look at this a bit more. Most seem to be surge protectors or computer related and seem to need to be plugged in ready for something going wrong. I'd have expected an ability to run other electrical stuff as a power source would be something worth mentioning in features but I don't see it on those I selected.
progressing on from the initial 'heat a cup of brew' OP

for larger power uses, another other green option (without a gasoline generator) is to have two or three 12 v car batteries (in parallel) on a trickle charger fed into a 12 - 120v Inverter. When the power goes out you could run many things depending on the power you want for a given time period

This is similar (48v) to what the cable TV guys & Bell do when the power is out as back up ....

All very basic & clever stuff, unless you want to have wind or solar power.

Buy the TrippLite 2000W 12V DC to AC Inverter at TigerDirect.ca

or this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-COBRA-CPI...-/230801203533

Last edited by not2old; Nov 17th 2014 at 3:59 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 4:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a Thermos and keep a cup on hand.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 4:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Oink
Get yourself a Thermos and keep a cup on hand.

two or three of them

I still like the cheap & effective 'sterno' in post#16 if its just for the cup of coffee/tea

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm
Old Nov 17th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol, don't you have a wood stove or burner? I have an insert, and an old pan that I stick in to get water hot.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 8:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Something that runs off a battery and will heat water quickly in the event of a power outage so that one can at least make a cup of coffee/tea or cup-a-soup.

There ought to be some option between no power at all and having a generator.

Luckily in the nine years we've been in our home here we've only had a handful of outages with only three lasting more than three hours. One of those was the pole to our house so it was just us and there was one wall socket still working so it was nice to make coffee and plug in a small fan heater.

Science being what it is, it shouldn't be that difficult should it? ....
Water has a very high specific heat capacity (requires a huge amount of energy to raise its temperature by 1°C), which is why the car heater was so slow.

If my rusty physics is correct, based on a D cell having 18000mAH of power (the upper limit for an alkaline cell), you would completely flatten 2 D cells boiling just one pint of water from 10°C. In practice drawing a lot of power quickly can halve the energy recoverable from an alkaline dry cell, so you might actually need four D cells to boil one pint of water.

In short, other than as noted above by using a fire or propane heater, yes, it is that difficult.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2014 at 8:37 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Bristol, don't you have a wood stove or burner? I have an insert, and an old pan that I stick in to get water hot.
Yes, but it's in the room that used to be our living room. Even with the woodstove it was not as comfortably warm in winter as our new living room. By changing rooms we are warmer and save a lot on the electricity bill.

Now it's out of use and likely needs to be swept before use.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Water has a very high specific heat capacity (requires a huge amount of energy to raise its temperature by 1°C)....
But this is rather the point of improving science. Once upon a time the starship enterprise would have been impossible because the engine needed for warp drive and all the rest would have been too big. They found a way to power it with something much smaller.

There's a gadget that can identify and name a tune. We have microwaves, the internet and more...why can't we boil (or at least heat to a nice temperature) a cup of water in a more efficient way?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... But this is rather the point of improving science. Once upon a time the starship enterprise would have been impossible because the engine needed for warp drive and all the rest would have been too big. They found a way to power it with something much smaller.

There's a gadget that can identify and name a tune. We have microwaves, the internet and more...why can't we boil (or at least heat to a nice temperature) a cup of water in a more efficient way?
Well water takes as much energy to boil as it takes, it is a physical constant. So we have the choices of (i) making tea with a different liquid, or (ii) dramatically improving the power storage capability of the battery, which has proved impossible so far, not withstanding the efforts of Elon Musk.

What do you suggest? Perhaps a plutonium battery?
Old Nov 18th 2014, 1:00 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...(ii) dramatically improving the power storage capability of the battery, which has proved impossible so far, not withstanding the efforts of Elon Musk.

What do you suggest? Perhaps a plutonium battery?
Sounds like a plan. Or an alternative to a battery. I dunno...a pill that you drop in a cup of water and it converts the water to hot water.

Sounds about as likely as wafer thin telephones/cameras did when these were being used
Old Nov 18th 2014, 8:51 am
Dichotomus tinker

Something that runs off a battery and will heat water quickly in the event of a power outage so that one can at least make a cup of coffee/tea or cup-a-soup.

Science being what it is, it shouldn't be that difficult should it?
all along you were thinking along the line of 'the way, how or what it is the astronauts eat & drink in space

Eating In Space - Canadian Space Agency
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Get one of these.

Motomaster Nautilus Battery Pack, 800 A | Canadian Tire

Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:55 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
When they reduce the $275 by $250

Or they get rid of all the other stuff and just leave one connector for a plug and sell it for a tenner.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 21st 2014 at 12:59 am.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me, I thought this thread was for ideas, hence the reason for my post. For the record, I have started the wheels in motion on my idea, if it progresses I'll keep you posted.

Anyone else got any great ideas but no finance or drive to make it happen? Let's have some ideas, some of the most outrageous ideas are the best. I understand that windscreens break on a regular basis in Canada, is this through rocks on the road or the extreme weather, perhaps there is a solution........
Old Nov 26th 2014, 10:55 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Forgive me, I thought this thread was for ideas........
Yes. I was wanting something specific but the idea was for any suggestions.

Here's another....a four slice toaster where the two slots on the right don't pack in before the two on the left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.