Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ice Carvings at Lake Louise

Wikiposts

Ice Carvings at Lake Louise

Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:55 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ice Carvings at Lake Louise

For anyone who has never been it is well worth a visit. This was our third year, usually we go up when the competition is in full swing but this year we left it for a couple of days and missed all the crowds. Each time we visit we have been absolutely amazed by the sculptures.

We love going to Lake Louise and have visited both tea houses (in the summer), well worth the effort both in the summer and winter.
Attached Thumbnails Ice Carvings at Lake Louise-b10_0139a.jpg   Ice Carvings at Lake Louise-b10_0148a.jpg   Ice Carvings at Lake Louise-b10_0154a.jpg   Ice Carvings at Lake Louise-b10_0161a.jpg   Ice Carvings at Lake Louise-b10_0162a.jpg  

Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:58 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ice Carvings at Lake Louise

Just one more!
Attached Thumbnails Ice Carvings at Lake Louise-b10_0164.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

wow those things are great
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

those are fab and just look at that blue sky!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:41 am
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by Strawberry
those are fab and just look at that blue sky!!!!
Yes that beautiful blue sky.

It really is fascinating watching them make these carvings, their tools include chain saws and steam irons
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future

So lovely,

thanks for those photos

Sue
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Wow these are great photos and amazing ice work. I was there in 2005 and they built an ice castle. Stunning place. Thanks for sharing
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:39 am
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Wow these are great photos and amazing ice work. I was there in 2005 and they built an ice castle. Stunning place. Thanks for sharing
Yep, we have been three times and each time the castle was there. This is this years.
Attached Thumbnails Ice Carvings at Lake Louise-b10_0141.jpg  
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

snowdogs is an unknown quantity at this point

great pictures and what a lovely sky
Old Feb 4th 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

bielbs is an unknown quantity at this point

I also went, but went the final day of the competition (sunday) not recommended as it was chaos for parking

I was just wondering if you knew which carving won?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:28 am
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by bielbs
I also went, but went the final day of the competition (sunday) not recommended as it was chaos for parking

I was just wondering if you knew which carving won?
Last year we went on the final day and it was very busy but got there quite early so parking wasnt a problem. This year we said we would go up after the competition and avoid the crowds, so we went up two days later.

I believe the last picture on the right on my original post won first prize, and the photo in post #2 won second prize.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
I believe the last picture on the right on my original post won first prize, and the photo in post #2 won second prize.
Looks like middle picture first post won third prize.

Great pictures by the way.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:40 am
Arrived at last!!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Looks like middle picture first post won third prize.

Great pictures by the way.
Thanks Steve, I shall have to go up and have a look at the ribbons again!

I was having a little difficulty taking all the pictures - my hands were extremely cold, I had a new camera with tiny buttons and no view finder!!!! I did tell my OH I would be able to get used to no view finder, but cold hands and having to negotiate glasses on and off your face at the same time is no easy task! It is bad enough trying to look at a screen on a very bright day let alone not being able to focus properly - oh the joys of old age The up side is the convenience of being able to put it in your pocket as it is a neat size, the down side is having to wear my glasses all the time!