Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I used to have fun here...

I used to have fun here...

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I used to have fun here...

Did you read the pm I sent re: two pints of vodka a day?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Did you read the pm I sent re: two pints of vodka a day?
Yes but I'm trying gin first.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Did you read the pm I sent re dialectical therapy?
Yes, I just read it. I have a pop up blocker and sometimes I don't see a new PM has arrived.

I've contacted a couple local therapists/counselors who seem to have training in DBT and have reasonable prices, so waiting to hear back and start the process in a few weeks hopefully.

I know local mental health now does it, but the wait is 1 or 2 years long, so I'd rather at this point just pay since the prices are more reasonable then they were at the Vancouver place and we have a bit more money now which makes things easier.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 10:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes, I just read it. I have a pop up blocker and sometimes I don't see a new PM has arrived.

I've contacted a couple local therapists/counselors who seem to have training in DBT and have reasonable prices, so waiting to hear back and start the process in a few weeks hopefully.

I know local mental health now does it, but the wait is 1 or 2 years long, so I'd rather at this point just pay since the prices are more reasonable then they were at the Vancouver place and we have a bit more money now which makes things easier.
Good for you, investing in your health is a wise choice I think.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an intakr phone interview at mental health tomorrow. Unsure how long the waits are from that point. Sometimes a few months to over a year.

This is the biggest issue in the mental health system, once you move you start over from scratch and have to get back on the waiting lists. Which of course delay access to treatment.

For record I have been on the list in Squamish for a group for 7 months. Now I am off that list obviously.

Now if we had money to self pay outside of the public system, I would be 8 months into treatment.

Not even sure the public unit in this area offers borderline treatment so time will tell still.

I should add the real fun starts when medications need to be refilled. No GP locally, no psychiatrist, and a medication known to be abused ( I don't abuse it, but it's abused by students and others to get a high apparently) and in a town with high drug addict population, what are the chances a walk in clinic doctor is going to be willing to refill them?

I have trouble a lot refilling at walk in clinics, so I don't have high hopes.

The GP we applied to is keeping us on file, but we are not high need patients so the wait might be quite long according to the office lady.

What a gong show the medical system can be.

Originally Posted by bats
Good for you, investing in your health is a wise choice I think.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 7th 2016 at 8:31 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:58 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I have an intakr phone interview at mental health tomorrow. Unsure how long the waits are from that point. Sometimes a few months to over a year.

This is the biggest issue in the mental health system, once you move you start over from scratch and have to get back on the waiting lists. Which of course delay access to treatment.

For record I have been on the list in Squamish for a group for 7 months. Now I am off that list obviously.

Now if we had money to self pay outside of the public system, I would be 8 months into treatment.

Not even sure the public unit in this area offers borderline treatment so time will tell still.

I should add the real fun starts when medications need to be refilled. No GP locally, no psychiatrist, and a medication known to be abused ( I don't abuse it, but it's abused by students and others to get a high apparently) and in a town with high drug addict population, what are the chances a walk in clinic doctor is going to be willing to refill them?

I have trouble a lot refilling at walk in clinics, so I don't have high hopes.

The GP we applied to is keeping us on file, but we are not high need patients so the wait might be quite long according to the office lady.

What a gong show the medical system can be.
That all sounds horribly frustrating. The months are going to go by whether you're 'in the system' or not so its good to hear you've got the ball rolling. I have suffered with depression a couple of times, the last time being when I returned to the UK from the US. My GP was very quick to prescribe medication but I had to ask her for a referral for mental health support. It took 6-7 months before I was able to start a group CBT course. I'm glad I stuck with it because, even though I didn't really learn anything new, there were some good reminders and other members of the group had helpful tips.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not get a copy of your medical records or a letter from your previous doctor in Squamish to give to the doctor at the walk-in centre, to show that you have previously been prescribed the medication for genuine reasons?
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

We have a weird mental health system in BC, initial intake is self refer and this will lead eventually to group like classes possibly. But not to a psychiatrist for medication, that requires a referal from a GP which I currently don't have, and generally speaking walk in clinic doctors are not eager to blindly refer someone they have never seen before to a psychiatrist, but I am going to try anyhow.

A GP isn't happening anytime soon, like most of Canada severe shortage of them.

Now if you need long term counseling your SOL as the medical system in BC does't cover that part of mental health, just short term stuff, a few weeks generally, some community mental health units are better then others.

I haven't been to this unit in about 10 years, so not sure what they offer these days, I hear through the grapevine they have a DBT program now, but unsure and not even sure if I would qualify, so just have to wait and see for now.

Based on complaints online, I have low expectations, but who knows....lol

It's much easier for folks who find success with medication, far easier to access treatment via medication, but borderline isn't treatable with medication but our healthcare system (not the doctors, the powers that be) doesn't want to pay for health related costs for the more difficult to treat mental health issues that have no medication.

I'd gladly pay out of pocket if I could find an affordable DBT program, the only one I am aware of that is within a commute of where I am is well above our financial means and no sliding scale. But if I could access it, I have high hopes life would improve greatly.

That program is 26 weeks long for group meeting once a week for 2 hours, the cost is $100 per week, so $400 per month + the therapy cost is 125 to 180 per session with a minimum of 2 sessions per month. (they prefer weekly sessions however.)

So per month for 26 weeks the cost isn't exactly cheap nor within our means financially.

$400 per month for group
+
$250 (meeting with a student extern 2 times per month for 50 mins.)

= $650 per month for 6 months minimum. (Most people still need therapy beyond the 6 months.)

There is also the cost of parking about $20/day so $80 per month + gas + tolls and you can add another $120/month on top to get there and back home.

If we had $770 per month, trust me I would be down there ASAP for therapy/treatment.

If one so desires someone for therapy who is not a student still, the cost is Registered Clinical Counsellor $150
PhD Clinician $170
PhD Psychologist $180

My wife will have extended medical in 90 days assuming she passes probation, but the coverage is so poor for mental health:

4 yearly counseling sessions up to $75 max.

It may sound like non-stop complaining, but there are serious and valid reasons why people with borderline and other hard to treat mental health issues can't and don't receive treatment, there is limited to no treatment in the public mental health system for those disorders (some regions are better then others) and the private sector charges a large sum of money, and medical services won't cover it as they don't see counseling, DBT as a medical treatment even though DBT group + individual therapy is the ONLY known treatment to show improvement for borderline disorder.

The US is for obvious reasons light years ahead of Canada for borderline treatment but the cost is still a factor. UK last I heard has adopted new treatment guidelines for borderline and no longer recognizes medication as primary treatment.

Canada for the most part with some exceptions still expects medications to treat borderline, despite the evidence and studies showing what is successful and what is not. There is also no approved medication for borderline, the medication is used simply as an attempt to treat specific symptoms and often medication does more harm then benefit to a borderline.

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
That all sounds horribly frustrating. The months are going to go by whether you're 'in the system' or not so its good to hear you've got the ball rolling. I have suffered with depression a couple of times, the last time being when I returned to the UK from the US. My GP was very quick to prescribe medication but I had to ask her for a referral for mental health support. It took 6-7 months before I was able to start a group CBT course. I'm glad I stuck with it because, even though I didn't really learn anything new, there were some good reminders and other members of the group had helpful tips.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 7th 2016 at 9:48 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

But I can no longer come here. The triggers are too great, I cannot mentally handle life, I live in a country with no useful mental health treatment or mental health medical system.

Anyone who is in need of mental health treatment be warned unless wealthy you will not have access to any mental health services of any use, the doctors are pill poppers and if pills don't work, you will be considered a useless turd and thrown to the waste side.

I am better off 100% alone in my cave, and thus have decided to not participate with humans, who hate me, want me gone, and frankly always have since the day I was born/

Good day.
I've just seen this JS and it resonated with me. I've been feeling in a similar situation mentally just lately, though I generally feel ok about this forum. Deactivating my Facebook account has been liberating, as I know it was making me feel worse about myself.

I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way, it's a desperate place to be. I'm also withdrawing from people but will come out for the very few close friends that I trust.

Please do hang around because this place is very supportive and reading what others have written, you are a great asset to the place. Stay away from 'trigger' posts.

Pleased to hear that you are getting help. Hope that you get your prescription refilled. You don't need those sorts of issues when you are fighting depression, just getting out of bed is a huge step some days.

Please be gentle on yourself and stay around. Hoping it won't be too long until you are having fun here again.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Can you not get a copy of your medical records or a letter from your previous doctor in Squamish to give to the doctor at the walk-in centre, to show that you have previously been prescribed the medication for genuine reasons?
I am trying to. I left a message with mental health unit to send me copies, still waiting to hear back, hoping there isn't a charge for them. (ON wanted to charge me 25 cents a page, so I never got my records from there.)

The records are not at the GP office since I was seeing a psychiatrist via mental health, GP doesn't even know I am on some of them as I have been unable to get an appointment then we moved, so now no GP...lol

(I still have the GP in Squamish and have booked the next appointment with him in June, so if we don't get a GP local by then, I will go there. Amazing June is the next available appt...lol)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 7th 2016 at 9:54 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:03 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Good to have you back Jsmith321.

xxx
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Talked to the mental health folks. No counseling, therapy or long term stuff but they do have a depression group in the late spring that I should be able to get into. Ive done this group several times in various places in BC.

I go as it gives me something to do and be around people.

We are still not sure how to access long term therapy I actually need. The costs of even sliding scale places is fairly high still.

Its also surprising hard to find a counselor or therapist who is experience with borderline its treatment and willing.

Borderline folks are kind of the step chils of mental health treatment and many just wont take on borderline people due to the difficulty of treating us.