Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I suppose I ought to get studying for my Citizenship test tommorrow....

I suppose I ought to get studying for my Citizenship test tommorrow....

Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I suppose I ought to get studying for my Citizenship test tommorrow....

Originally Posted by Souvy
I wasn't asked the names either.

Centres do vary. When I did it back in 2005, I sat the test, had it marked on the spot, and was told to hand over my PR card and bugger off for an hour before I swore at the judge.

Incidentally, when you eventually apply for a Canadian passport, one of the required documents is the citizenship certificate. The don't mean the document with "citizenship certificate" written on it. The mean the card.
I think I got 4 of those phony certs in the end from various provincial and federal MPs... its the personal touch that counts eh
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:37 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of
Default Re: I suppose I ought to get studying for my Citizenship test tommorrow....

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
On the test I wasn't asked either the GG's name or my MP. It seems every CIC location is different. In St. John's one sits the test and doesn't hear the results until either being called for an interview with a citizenship judge or being invited directly to a citizenship ceremony. This process, as ever with Canadian beauracracy, takes months. I was told that there are citizenship ceremonies planned for Sept and Oct, but my file would not likely to be reviewed in time for those. After that the IO couldn't say when the next ceremony would be other than that they definately do one on Feb 15th for flag day & it would be by then. So I could hear nothing til January. Ho Hum.
Typical Newfies, take forever to do anything
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:33 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Eat a "beaver" save a tree...innit?
PMSL I just had to tell this to the hubby
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:37 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
A cursory glance at the cover of the study guide:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/...5f62e4aa29.jpg

Presumably means I can expect the following questions?

1) The Canadarm was first launched in 1981. Now that the shuttle fleet is grounded is it:

a) Time that Canada stopped going on about it and moved on.
b) A continuing source of Canadian pride as the one thing we made that was famous, other than pountine, tar sands oil and oh yes, those blackberry thingies that were cool before the Iphone came along.
c) secretly made in China anyway.

2) Name the medals that the distinguished looking veteran is wearing.

3) That animal with the big horns. Is it:

a) A beaver
b) A moose
c) Justin Trudeau
d) Celine Dion

4) The building with the poppies in the foreground. Is it:

a) Tim Horton's corporate headquarters.
b) Don Cherry's house.
c) That place in Ottawa where elected representatives fulminate a lot but don't actually achieve anything.
d) The Kremlin.

5) The Maple Leaf. Is it:
a) A forum on BE Canada.
b) The leaf of a maple tree.
c) On every Canadian souvenir imaginable.
d) All of the above.

6) That ornate thingy on the right, below the Maple leaf. What is it?
(Genuinely don't know the answer to this one...is it important?)

7) When paddling a canoe along the Ottawa river. A Canadian Citizen should:
a) Wear a life jacket and yellow baseball cap
b) Keep a look out for snow-weasels and the killer beaver.
c) Smile inanely.
d) All of the above.

Do you think I'm ready?
Oh BTW, good luck tomorrow, looks like you're gonna need it
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:12 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I wasn't asked the names either.

Centres do vary. When I did it back in 2005, I sat the test, had it marked on the spot, and was told to hand over my PR card and bugger off for an hour before I swore at the judge.

Incidentally, when you eventually apply for a Canadian passport, one of the required documents is the citizenship certificate. The don't mean the document with "citizenship certificate" written on it. The mean the card.
And when you apply for your passport, what they mean by the date you got citizenship is the unmarked code that represents a random date (in my case Jan 11) on the laminated, laser printed card thing, not necessarily when you passed the test (Jun 11) or did the ceremony (Aug 11)

And don't even begin to guess about the time thing. They said 3-4 months in Vancouver and it was two. We were also not told at the interview whether we had passed the test.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute

I've still waiting for my test date but if it comes soon I might be at least one more person in the NL area at the ceremony.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

suppose i should actually think about applying for this at some point